PDA

View Full Version : casein plastic..

DonT-FeaR
11-24-2008, 02:50 AM
ok heres the story... in science tomorrow we are going to make casein plastic..

some kind of mouldable plastic that drys hard.... im thinking kinda like papermache

heres what it says on the sheet

you will need:
saftey glasses... gay school
100ml of milk
white vinegar
250ml beaker
glass rod
250ml conical flask
thermometer
filter paper and funnel
bunsen burner.... or stove
matches

step one.

pour the milk into the 250ml beaker and warm it slowly to 50 degrees celcious

step two:

remove from the heat, add 5ml of vinegar drop by drop
stirring carefully with the glass rod. the milk will seperate into curds and whey.. solid and liquid

step three:

filter the curds and whey discard the whey and mould the curds into whatever you wish

step four:

place the solid material on a piece of paper towel and let it dry for a few days

random info..

this plastic consists of mainly protein called casein... there fore casein plastic

casein can be used to make medicines, glues and cosmetics..

and apparently moulded shapes :)

enjoy..

may help for some kind of modding

Zephik
11-24-2008, 04:11 AM
Safety glasses are not uncool my friend. Losing an eye for whatever reason is very uncool though, so always make sure your smarter than the average person and wear your safety gear! (I have to wear them at work sometimes, when dealing with hazardous chemicals. They may look dorky, but who cares really?)

Interesting read though! Maybe if you have a camera phone you can snap off a few pictures for us?

Here is the wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casein) for Casein. It has many uses! :up:

DonT-FeaR
11-24-2008, 04:43 AM
yea saftey glasses are really good... but for milk?? i mean come on..

thanks for the link ill read it..

im taking my camera lol.... my phone cam sucks butt....

anyways pics tomorrow around about 5 south australian time,....

DonT-FeaR
11-25-2008, 05:06 AM
well the teacher decided not to make casein plastic and i dont own a thermomater so i cant do it....

can some1 please make and take pics?

Vital
12-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Another way of casting plastic, is to buy some Oomoo 30 Silicone, and pour that over whatever you want to make a mold. Then buy some Smooth-Cast 320 and pour that in the molds and voila. I've seen it used a few times. Especially when making buttons for console controllers.