PDA

View Full Version : Air Pencil Soldering Iron (Home made)

Malatory
12-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Some may know that I am a reviewer for Gideontech and also hand out here helping out. But I wanted to Pimp my latest write up on GT.

http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/297/1

:D

Rankenphile
12-08-2005, 02:24 PM
This is really cool... I'd like to see how it works after you've used it a bit more, but it looks very interesting. Nice job.

Crimson Sky
12-08-2005, 04:49 PM
indeed very cool!

crazybillybob
12-08-2005, 06:21 PM
I like it, If I did more (any) SMD I'd make one my self. There's allways a first time! :D

Crazybillybob

Malatory
12-08-2005, 07:35 PM
I like it, If I did more (any) SMD I'd make one my self. There's allways a first time! :D

There is always a 1st time for everything .;)

With some of the circuits that I am in the process of finishing up and other that are on my list to start for projects. I am looking at my current finished soldering jobs and asking myself if they can be better. I think the answer to that is always yes and if you have the right tools. It is in no way to replace the soldering Iron, but opens up a lot more options.

Like adding a mini USB plug like in most Digital cameras to my old CVS_Cam (http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/285/1) mod I did this summer. I am wanting to do a part 2 on this to cover the new firm ware and show some of the other options that have been opened up.

Rankenphile: I have used it for about 3 weeks now and it does a decent job. I built it about 3 weeks ago.

Crimson Sky: Thanks .. :D

Rankenphile
12-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Sounds great, man. I'm looking at trying to make my soldering work a bit easier, and this looks like just the thing. Thanks for the input!

Malatory
12-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Sounds great, man. I'm looking at trying to make my soldering work a bit easier, and this looks like just the thing. Thanks for the input!

Are you working with SMD stuff??

Rankenphile
12-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Super Mario... Druthers?

Malatory
12-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Surface Mount Device

Rankenphile
12-09-2005, 01:58 AM
Um... still not exactly sure what that means. lol. I'm just following circuit diagrams and playing with things until they work - I have zero formal electronics training.

Malatory
12-09-2005, 09:42 AM
The soldering Iron is more for SMD soldering .. If you look at the 2nd page of the guide you will see linksys Network card that I am removing the main CHIP off of it. That is a surface mounted chip. For the Board that I was soldering the chip is what everyone is use to and will solder through the holes.

Tableleg
12-29-2005, 12:10 AM
So I'm a bit confused here. Is the heat being transfered by the air being blown by the airpump across the iron tip or is the pump acting as a continious suction?

If it's the later, you're a better man than I with that 45W iron. I've never had much luck saving any component with an iron that hot. :D