PDA

View Full Version : iLinkPod - OS X

NightrainSrt4
11-26-2008, 12:29 AM
As some of you may know, I lost a hard drive this past summer, which had a ton of music that I hadn't gotten around to backing up. I know, I know, I got lazy, as I usually am very diligent about that. Anyway, the only copy of many files was stuck on my ipod. Here comes iLinkPod

www.ilinkpod.com (http://www.ilinkpod.com/)
For OS X Users Only AFAIK

I put my ipod onto my computer, and followed the guide on their page to make a backup of the music on the ipod. It worked great, except all the files were named four letter names that the ipod uses internally. Soooo, a fix. They have you use a third party program to rename them. How about an easier way?

Instead, here is what I did:

Inject all the music into iTunes. (Import, whatever)
Then navigate to where iTunes stores the files on the computer.
Copy all the folders from there, as they are now renamed back to your original names. Woot!

Very cool free program, and quite simple to get your music back if you act like a dumbarse like me. :dead:

NightrainSrt4
11-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Just finished going through and checking all my files, and everything seems to be just the way I had it before. So, in my experience great little program, and saved me some headaches.

I will have to send the creator an email, thanking him/her, but also to point out that you don't need a third party app to inject the names back into the files, simply importing to itunes and then navigating to that directory and copying back to where you want them will get the info back to the way it should be.

Hope someone else finds this useful if they reformat their pc relying solely on the backup external, only to accidentally kill that the same day. :eek: