PDA

View Full Version : Sphere Case Mod?

SuicidalMind
04-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Does anyone think its possible to have a PC case that is completely sphere?

This is something that I thought of when I was half asleep.

On the outside it would look like some alien Sphere. Completely chrome and finished with some tech indentations on the metal. The cd drives are hidden along with the fan bays. (Moreless for Show and transporting) Made of a plastic and an outer pannel of sheet metal like the rest of the case. The cd drive bay covers will fold out when the drives are ejected. The inside will probably the the tricky part. building mounting brackets for a square or rectangle motherboard inside of a round shell. The other bays for your other cards. pci agp so on. those can have removeable covers like the fan bay coverings.

Opening the case. I was thinking of 4 release buttons that are flush with the case metal on the outside and 2 are located on each opposite side of the case. Pushing all the buttons in will release the 2 hemispheres of the case and if you lift up it will open and show you all your working components. I was thinking of mounting the motherboard laying flat on a mounting sheet for it that attaches to the lower hemisphere of the case so it lays horizontally. Depending on how small your motherboard shall be is how much lower you can put your motherboard into it.

Myself I didnt get to think about how or where to put the hardrives or the cd drives. I do think though if someone did make this case it would look very sweet. Maybe with a vew clear water cooling tubes coming from it and have some glowing effects coming from them. it would only add to the alien look of the case.

I know some people will not like this or just think it cannot be done.
I would do it myself but I dont have the equipment, time or money to do it.

I really didnt have much time to draw out a example. But if any of you want to attempt to make this please do so cause i would love to see how it will turn out with your changes or what not.

Thanks for reading and please tell me of some flaws with the design if you think there are any. :D

Frakk
04-01-2005, 04:41 PM
i think it is very doable and would look pretty sweet. you just need a frame in the inside holding all your components. Also make sure you have good stands for it because it will roll away :D

SuicidalMind
04-01-2005, 04:43 PM
i think it is very doable and would look pretty sweet. you just need a frame in the inside holding all your components. Also make sure you have good stands for it because it will roll away :D

I thought it would really sweet as well. I wasnt sure if it would be doable but i was also thinking of the stand that could be a darker shade of grey but with the alien tech look to it. Its hard to explain whats in my head.

I wish i could jak my brain into my computer. That would make it easier...

Frakk
04-01-2005, 05:47 PM
well then go for it :) if you make some drawings and plans post it here so we can see the details.

siege
04-01-2005, 08:00 PM
I've seen this done with a mini-itx board or one of those little things. Not nearly as complicated of course, but still turned out cool.

Myself, I have always wanted to do something like this. My main computer's hostname has always been 'DarkOrb' so for quite a while I've wanted a dark orb case :) never got around to it though, obviously.

Its a real good idea, not many people have done it or have the skills to do it; good luck if you try it...and post a worklog :)

SuicidalMind
04-01-2005, 08:14 PM
I've seen this done with a mini-itx board or one of those little things. Not nearly as complicated of course, but still turned out cool.

Myself, I have always wanted to do something like this. My main computer's hostname has always been 'DarkOrb' so for quite a while I've wanted a dark orb case :) never got around to it though, obviously.

Its a real good idea, not many people have done it or have the skills to do it; good luck if you try it...and post a worklog :)

I wish i could do it. I would patent the design but i cant build one. i dont have the metal work skills, time, money or patience. Lol.

mashie
04-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately the IO panels on a computer are not designed for a round cases. Plus after you have spent a few grand making one and it rolls off the desk and crash on the floor I have a feeling someone will cry...

SuicidalMind
04-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Unfortunately the IO panels on a computer are not designed for a round cases. Plus after you have spent a few grand making one and it rolls off the desk and crash on the floor I have a feeling someone will cry...

You have to have a pretty good imagination to make it work. In my head it will work cause ive thought about it for a long time.

If I had someone with the skill and the equipment right next to me I could walk them right through it. And yes we did mention a stand....

mashie
04-01-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm still curious how you will sort out the IO ports unless you intend to make a stupid number of 3" extension leads.

Not the mention the sphere will get really big if you intend to fit a full ATX board in there. Did have this kind of thoughts many years ago.

For the spheres you are best off with someone doing aluminium spining, should cost you around $3-400 per half.

To get buttons cut out of the spheres will be tricky if you want it done clean, probably using someone with a laser or waterjet mounted on a robot arm.

Btw, If you get the centre of gravity right you won't need a stand ;)

JesDer
04-02-2005, 12:49 AM
For the spheres you are best off with someone doing aluminium spining, should cost you around $3-400 per half.

I got a few quotes about 3 weeks ago for 12" spun domes .. one will cost about $300, but since that is mostly setup time, the 2nd should be much less. Still is it alot to spend on something that really shouldnt cost more than $80 if you could find a shop that made then in qty already.

Without doing the math .. I would say you would need at least a 16" sphere to fit all the hardware using a mATX MB.

Crimson Sky
04-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Go for a P4 mini-itx system and use these 12" diameter hemis: http://www.wagnercompanies.com/ends/balls.html

:D

JesDer
04-02-2005, 02:56 AM
Nice link !

siege
04-03-2005, 07:18 PM
I got a few quotes about 3 weeks ago for 12" spun domes .. one will cost about $300, but since that is mostly setup time, the 2nd should be much less. Still is it alot to spend on something that really shouldnt cost more than $80 if you could find a shop that made then in qty already.

Without doing the math .. I would say you would need at least a 16" sphere to fit all the hardware using a mATX MB.

if you've got access to a big enough wood lathe, you can do it yourself. You make a wood template on the lathe first, then put the aluminum over it and go to town (you'd have to watch - i can't explain quickly) I saw some dude on HGTV a few months ago make spun aluminum bowls like this...seems like the same concept can be applied to something a bit bigger fairly easily :)

Go for a P4 mini-itx system and use these 12" diameter hemis: http://www.wagnercompanies.com/ends/balls.html

:D

Wow, seeing those actually just gave me a really awesome idea for a sphere(ish) case. Would be pretty high tech but sweet.. Damn, if only I had the time, money, and hardware :rolleyes:

edit: and I just saw the prices for those and its not bad. now if only I had the hardware, cause I would make the time :)

fishies
04-03-2005, 07:31 PM
To get buttons cut out of the spheres will be tricky if you want it done clean, probably using someone with a laser or waterjet mounted on a robot arm.

Not entirely true. I am sure if you were to drill out holes, from the inside out you would have less movement and a shot at making decent holes.

Who in this forum has access to a laser or waterjet on a robot arm?

CJ-CWC
04-07-2005, 12:14 AM
What is strange is I started a project with an Acrylic Sphere that is 14" Diameter about 1 year ago... Almost everything is done it even includes water cooling. I will post some pictures of how I did things all out of acrylic... It would be interesting to see it all done in metal.

I wish you luck and hope to see your progress if you start doing the project.

CJ-CWC
04-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Not entirely true. I am sure if you were to drill out holes, from the inside out you would have less movement and a shot at making decent holes.

Who in this forum has access to a laser or waterjet on a robot arm?

P.S. I DO :D

www.customwatercuts.com (http://www.customwatercuts.com)

All waterjets are mounted in a CNC fashion as you are cutting at approximately 47,000 psi and well you would never want to hold such a device in your hands come to think of it I don’t think you could even if you wanted too.

siege
04-07-2005, 12:43 AM
well me being me and always having way too many ideas for my own sanity, I had an idea, and went ahead and started planning a little something. I have the basic idea down on paper and right now I'm making a 3d model of it to make sure everything will fit. basically, it'll involve an 18" sphere made from fiberglass (fairly thick to keep its shape) and a full size motherboard - my new athlon64 system that will be complete once i order parts tomorrow. watercooled and all that jazz (i figure hey, I'm getting watercooling junk in a few weeks anyway, if this idea doesn't work out, I'll still be able to use it :) ). I'm gonna have to figure out how to use linear actuators (or find another idea - i have one but its way more complex) and find some good prices on them...fun stuff. might see a worklog once the 3d model is done and it looks like everything will fit...

And since I have wanted to do a sphere case for the last 5 years, I figure...what the hell, I (sorta) have the money right now, so I might as well git 'er done. this thing will be a monster though....so big, gonna have to build a side table to put it on because my desk isn't big enough!

CJ-CWC
04-07-2005, 01:17 AM
http://www.customwatercuts.com/HydroHedra/cg.jpg

Fiberglass sounds like a great idea however your 100% correct it will be thick and heavy of course so was mine... I ended up with 1/4" acrylic and an acrylic tray system that fits into entire thing...you maybe able to come up with some unique ways of structuring the fiberglass so it does not need to be soo thick. Maybe try layering with Carbon Fiber every other layer.

siege
04-07-2005, 01:31 AM
http://www.customwatercuts.com/HydroHedra/cg.jpg

Fiberglass sounds like a great idea however your 100% correct it will be thick and heavy of course so was mine... I ended up with 1/4" acrylic and an acrylic tray system that fits into entire thing...you maybe able to come up with some unique ways of structuring the fiberglass so it does not need to be soo thick.

I was thinking of maybe taking some rope and soaking it in resin and making 'ribs' on the inside of each hemisphere to help hold their rigidity.

btw, that sphere looks sexy, wanna make me one in 20" ? :)

CJ-CWC
04-07-2005, 02:02 AM
I was thinking of maybe taking some rope and soaking it in resin and making 'ribs' on the inside of each hemisphere to help hold their rigidity.

btw, that sphere looks sexy, wanna make me one in 20" ? :)

Well sadly I do not make the sphere's I only do watercutting however I purchased it from a Canadian company that specialize in making them if I can find the link to their site I will post it for you and all other that would like it...

Last time I saw them they were making a sphere large enough for a person to stand it I think it had a 5 foot diameter and took them 2 or 3 months to make, the only thing this company does is make Acrylic spheres so it is really cool to see the stuff they have done...

CJ-CWC
04-07-2005, 02:16 AM
Yep I am on a role tonight I found the company http://www.globalplastics.ca/index.htm (http://www.globalplastics.ca/index.htm) Enjoy it... great group of people and they will make custom sizes.

I should warn you that Originally when I started my project I was going to adhere Carbon fiber to the outside and interior of my acrylic domes however during testing I could not get the epoxy to adhere to the acrylic which I found strange I imagine you will have a similar problem with Fiberglass however maybe you don’t want it to adhere to the acrylic leaving you with dome shape.....

oooo hummmm ideas ideas...

fishies
04-07-2005, 09:38 AM
P.S. I DO :D

www.customwatercuts.com (http://www.customwatercuts.com)

All waterjets are mounted in a CNC fashion as you are cutting at approximately 47,000 psi and well you would never want to hold such a device in your hands come to think of it I don’t think you could even if you wanted too.

Show off. :P

It's good to know someone with that kind of equipment. *bookmarks the site*

Seven
04-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Actually, I talked with crimson about this numerous times.

Idea stealer.

http://www.metku.net/mods/epia_sphere/glowing.jpg (http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/epia_sphere/index_eng)

Check out my insane vB skills and click on the picture to see the full thing.

Look for Canal Street Plastics. It's where Crimson got his dome for Metropolis, and they make ones up to 8' in diameter!

Frakk
04-09-2005, 01:07 AM
wouldnt that be cool if you had a comp in the sphere like those model ships in the bottles? :D

siege
04-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Yep I am on a role tonight I found the company http://www.globalplastics.ca/index.htm (http://www.globalplastics.ca/index.htm) Enjoy it... great group of people and they will make custom sizes.

Oh snap, their 20" domes are cheap..slap 2 of those together and voila! Dang, I just might have to work a little extra OT this week and see if I can snag em :) And here I thought for my new computer (which should be running monday \o/ ) I was just going to do a fairly normal case mod...we'll see.

everfalling
07-18-2005, 07:46 PM
I was looking in google for anyone else trying to do this and i stumbled across this thread (sorry if i'm bumping this very far).

I'm currently in the process of making what you've been talking about using a 20" Stainless Steel Gazing Globe. I've yet to get the funds to get all my materials, but you're more than welcome to track my prograss here:

Initial Concepts: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=926579
Worklog: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928603

I need all the constructive critisism i can get, so stop on by and yell at me or something.