PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Feel This Way?

progbuddy
11-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Anyone else feel like technology is flying past them? It seems to be doing so at an exponential rate. It took so long to phase out DDR, then DDR2 came out, then DDR3, and probably soon-to-come DDR4. Bigger hard drives, better graphics, faster CPUs, Blu-Ray... I'm starting to think that it is moving too quickly now, and it's hard to keep up with "the flow." For example, the 45 nm Core2Duo's came out last year, and now they are releasing the i7's. Pretty soon, a new processor is going to be coming out every quarter. All I hope is that things level off for a while, so I can catch up. :P

Luke122
11-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Best quote ever: (Long read, but worth it)

"Now, what you've seen here is the evolution of populations, not so much the evolution of individuals. And in addition, if you look at the time scales that are involved here -- two billion years for life, six million years for the hominid, 100,000 years for mankind as we know it -- you're beginning to see the telescoping nature of the evolutionary paradigm. And then when you get to agricultural, when you get to scientific revolution and industrial revolution, you're looking at 10,000 years, 400 years, 150 years. Uou're seeing a further telescoping of this evolutionary time. What that means is that as we go through the new evolution, it's gonna telescope to the point we should be able to see it manifest itself within our lifetime, within this generation."

Does this seem as profound to anyone else as I find it? We are coming to the point where things are going to evolve and change incredibly quick.

Look at the jump in processor speed over the last 10 or so years. Pentiums just arrived, and we went from a 100mhz 486 to 1ghz in what, 6-8 years? From 1ghz to nearly 4ghz in 5 years..I dont think things will ever level off.. you just have to jump in wherever you can and swim for it!

Zephik
11-27-2008, 10:48 AM
That was an excellent quote Luke!

However I must say, if ever THAT becomes a "long read", I just might have to argue against evolution. :p

...Then again, I'm sort of different from most people. Most people don't read 4-6 books a month or 3-5 hours every night or an entire book in 4-7 days. I'm constantly feeling irritated that books in my hands don't last long enough. I aways check the very last page of the book to see how many pages there are, I feel disappointed when its less than 700, because generally that means it will only last me about 4 days. ><

LiTHiUM0XiD3
11-27-2008, 06:43 PM
dont worry... moores law will eventual catch up to us..... everything doubles... until that is.. they cant squeeze anymore in... u cant keep packin bigger and badder into smaller and shiny-er (homemade words rock) they r gunna hit the wall...

blueonblack
11-27-2008, 07:33 PM
However I must say, if ever THAT becomes a "long read", I just might have to argue against evolution. :p

Amen, brother. Amen.

As to the topic. I think Moore's Law is going to be disproven. "The Wall", as it was put, will be surpassed. There will always be new methods to achieve what was deemed impossible previously.

FuzzyPlushroom
11-27-2008, 08:59 PM
I feel like things did slow down during the early A64 era. For a few years, there was nothing you couldn't do with a 7800GT, hell, even a 6600. Then the video-card race sped up again with the arrival of games that simply didn't support the older hardware, competent though it may be.

I find it sad, and have for years now, that there are PCs costing several hundred dollars that still can't play today's games, or (especially with the arrival of Vista) properly run today's software.

SXRguyinMA
11-28-2008, 11:07 AM
I agree, I bought top-of-the line equip 4 years ago when I built my computer, and its nothing compared to the things of today. Hell I can probably find a computer at walmart spec'd close to what I ahve for only a few hundred now. I got my Pentium D when they were the hot new thing, for like $250 or somethin, I think that same proc is goin for like $69 now. Ah well, my rig does everything I need it to and more. Would I like the fastest, newest stuff? hell yea I would, but I'd never make use of it. I'd thrown the idea around of picking up a new quad-core/mobo bundle, but the more I thought about it I realized I hardly use the full capabilities of my machine now, so it'd just be a waste. At the rate things are going, I think I'll just replace stuff when it breaks. But until then, I'll leave it be :D

nevermind1534
11-28-2008, 11:26 AM
It keeps going faster and faster. I hate it. Now, I can't sell my P4 that I paid almost $100 for, because I'd get nothing out of a socket 775 one. I sold my 8800GT at a loss, and only mad money on my PSU, because I got a really good rebate/promo code deal, and those haven't really gone down in price much since I purchased.

FuzzyPlushroom
11-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I realized I hardly use the full capabilities of my machine now, so it'd just be a waste.

Amen. The only thing I could potentially utilize would be a newer video card; even if DDR2 is dirt cheap, I almost never max out my two gigs since I'm running XP. And two cores is really quite sufficient.

Crazy Buddhist
11-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Anyone else feel like technology is flying past them? It seems to be doing so at an exponential rate. It took so long to phase out DDR, then DDR2 came out, then DDR3, and probably soon-to-come DDR4. Bigger hard drives, better graphics, faster CPUs, Blu-Ray... I'm starting to think that it is moving too quickly now, and it's hard to keep up with "the flow." For example, the 45 nm Core2Duo's came out last year, and now they are releasing the i7's. Pretty soon, a new processor is going to be coming out every quarter. All I hope is that things level off for a while, so I can catch up. :P

Prog dude .. yr 17 yrs old .. we've been living with this rate of technological change for 20+ years as adults (some of us) .. you'll get used to it :P

Crazy Buddhist
11-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Does this seem as profound to anyone else as I find it? We are coming to the point where things are going to evolve and change incredibly quick.

Ever read Teilhard de Chardin? He's a former Jesuit who's writings are proscribed by the Catholic Church. Died over 50 years ago and predicted this including the internet.

Matthew

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teilhard_de_chardin

xRyokenx
11-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Whenever I look at new stuff that's just come out I get some sort of whiplash.

Luke122
11-29-2008, 04:14 AM
Ever read Teilhard de Chardin? He's a former Jesuit who's writings are proscribed by the Catholic Church. Died over 50 years ago and predicted this including the internet.

Matthew

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teilhard_de_chardin

"From 1930–1931 Teilhard stayed in France and in the United States. During a conference in Paris, Teilhard stated: "For the observers of the Future, the greatest event will be the sudden appearance of a collective humane conscience and a human work to make." - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teilhard_de_chardin)

A collective humance conscience? Umm.. I have a feeling this quote will end up on /b/.