PDA

View Full Version : What's magnetic, looks furry, and attaches to a screwdriver?

FuzzyPlushroom
11-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Well, a hard-drive magnet covered in steel filings, of course!

http://xs433.xs.to/xs433/08480/dscf0693__large_540.jpg

I got tired of cleaning up the filings left behind after a few days of indoor Dremel action and realized that a powerful magnet held an inch or two from the cutting (or grinding) wheel should do the trick nicely. It catches everything in its path, cutting my cleanup work in half, and the rest is taken care of by a quick pass with this same magnet (after I scrape off the shavings) and a quick squirt of canned air. Now I've just got to mount it a bit more securely, and it'll live in my as-of-yet-nonexistent toolbox permanently.

And yes, it'd be nice if I pulled off the other debris (check out that nut) that's accumulated on it, but I don't care that much.

markkleb
11-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Keep the magnet away from the Hdds, and good job.

FuzzyPlushroom
11-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Keep the magnet away from the Hdds

Don't worry - it's an empty case, and I don't store my spare drives anywhere near it. :D Thanks!

The boy 4rm oz
12-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Cool idea. Personally I just get out the air compressor and BAM!!!, no more shavings lol.

xmastree
12-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Cool idea. Personally I just get out the air compressor and BAM!!!, no more shavings lol.
None? not even in your eyes? :eek:

OTSO hdd magnets, I carry one in my pocket at work sometimes. I frequently need somewhere to temporarily store two tiny steel screws. Sticking them to my leg is the perfect solution. Although I do tend to stick to radiators/filing cabinets/cars if I get too close...

The boy 4rm oz
12-01-2008, 09:36 PM
HAHA, I think i just found myself a new quote xmastree lol.