PDA

View Full Version : PCI Card Cage

jgilbs
12-10-2005, 08:08 PM
I am modifying a case that does not have any PCI slots. I have an area (5.25"W)x(3.0"T)x(10"D) in which I want to add PCI slots. I figure I can fit 3 in there. But I have some problems:

1)Airflow - If my videocard is liquid cooled, how much airflow should I have?(I have an air "channel" that runs directly under this space, so I figure if I add some rear vent holes to the PCI Cage, and drill some holes in the "floor" of the area, I can use the venturi effect from the "air channel" to suck air from the area, thus drawing in cool air from the rear of the PCI cage area. There is ~80CFM airflow underneath the PCI area. Would it be adequate to do what I described?

2)Where the heck do you get PCI brackets?(like the L-shaped piece of metal that you screw your PCI cards onto - not the bracket that is attached to your card, but the one that is attached to the PC. Can these be bought ready-made(other than salvaging an old case) or do I need to do some fabbing?

3)Risers - What's the verdict? I was told that for PCI Express x16, risers degrade performance considerably. Is this true? And if so, how can I minimize performance loss? Due to budget constraints, I could not afford the 2 slot flexible PCI riser I needed for my design since the PCI Express x16 flexible riser was pretty expensive(~$60 w/ shipping), and my video card is PCI Express, so its pretty essential that it works. I can wait to buy the PCI risers. Right now I am planning on mounting a standoff to the bottom of the PCI area, close to the wall, where the riser's cable enters, and then mounting the riser to this. Is there any other way to do it? Would I need to locktite this arrangement? When I get the PCI Risers, I plan on using standoffs screwed into the bottom standoff(with the PCI Express card between them), and then attach the new riser onto that standoff, and do the same for the riser card above it.