PDA

View Full Version : How to Optimize XP

TheGreatSatan
12-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Control Panel, Administrative Tools, then Services, double click Indexing Service, change Startup Type to Disabled.

Right click the Start menu, choose properties, under the Start Menu tab click customize. On the next screen under the Advanced tab uncheck the box at the bottom for “List my most recent opened documents”.

Right Click My Computer choose Properties, Click Advanced Tab, Under Performance Select Settings, in the next window choose the Advanced Tab, At the bottom under Virtual Memory click Change. Set values the same as double of actual onboard memory. You will have to reboot to make this official.

THEN

At the bottom under “Start Up and Recovery” click Settings. Under System Startup decrease the number of seconds to display message.

Run, type Regedit
Under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\ Desktop, change the values for WaitToKillAppTimeout and HungAppTimeOut to 1000
Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\ Desktop, change the values for WaitToKillAppTimeout and HungAppTimeOut to 1000
Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l, change the values for WaitToKillServicesTimeout to 1000

Right Click the Start button, choose Properties, under the Start Menu tab, choose Customize, click the Advanced tab, at the bottom uncheck the box by ‘List my most recently opened documents’

Run, msconfig. Click BOOT.INI tab, select /NOGUIBOOT option to disable the “Windows XP” splash screen.

THEN

Choose Advanced Options. If you have a multiple core computer check /NUMPROC=, now choose how many cores you have. Click OK. Restart Later.

Run, type Regedit
Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\FileSystem. Select NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation and change value to 1. This will turn Off 8.3 Filename Support

Restart

xRyokenx
12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Cool, I'll have to do this later. +rep

SXRguyinMA
12-09-2008, 04:17 PM
just did it on my work comp, restarting now....

SXRguyinMA
12-09-2008, 04:30 PM
worked nicely :bowdown: will be doing this on my home comp tonight

TheGreatSatan
12-09-2008, 09:45 PM
:banana:

XcOM
12-11-2008, 09:41 AM
did all of them barr the number of cores when i reinstalled last, didn't know about that one, by god does windows boot faster.

+Rep

xRyokenx
12-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I went ahead and did all this and there is a noticeable speed boost. Thanks TGS.

AMD Killa
12-11-2008, 07:08 PM
search google for the "connected internet complete guide to optimising xp".

Has some of the same stuff as mentioned above and more. It was a brillin=ant find, and definatly helps my new netbook.

mittelmeier
12-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Cool, I'll have to try this when I get home tomorrow on my XP machines. +rep

SgtM
12-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Damnit.. gotta spread some rep around.

DaveW
12-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Be aware that when trying this kind of stuff, TBCS takes no responsibility for the results. But you're modders...you knew that ;)

-Dave

XcOM
12-15-2008, 01:55 PM
its got them void stickers on them for a reason, for you to remove them!

VitzĄ^
12-16-2008, 06:40 AM
just done this on my mrs' laptop, seems to have made a marked improvement! :D

+rep

SXRguyinMA
12-16-2008, 10:08 AM
on my home computer I'm now getting the "end program" box for CCC host and CCV host :think: not doin it on the work computer though

progbuddy
12-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Be aware that when trying this kind of stuff, TBCS takes no responsibility for the results. But you're modders...you knew that ;)

-Dave

Pfft. Blame it on Dave. ;)

Nah, just kidding. We love you Dave. :D

Anyways, the number of processors thing in Windows Vista is similar, and helped me push through the boot much faster with all three cores enabled.

xRyokenx
12-20-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave.