PDA

View Full Version : Just Started Modding

Sisp
12-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey,

Ive been looking round for quite a while round this site, and keep on getting ideas that I dont think are possible. But i have seen you guys say a few times that anythings possible with a case .. I have seen a lot of peoples cases on the net but yours are mostly based ona different style not really windows and things very often but more Artistic and changing they way it looks so much that you dont even think they started out with a case .. Anyway back to why i am here .. okay my problem is i want to add a small Window ,there is no problems there but i have a curved case that I have decided to work on and it is
in layers so i would have to cut through 2 things to get my window in and im wondering wether that would cause any Problems ? with the window its self and which layer would be the best to fit it into ... Or of course i could just get a new case/ create my own like Crimson sky's nighthawk.

Rankenphile
12-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Hmmm... what kind of case is it? Do you have pics?

Sisp
12-12-2005, 04:47 PM
ill try get some pics on soon when i can geta n new memory card ofr my digital camera

Viper-Inc
12-13-2005, 12:21 AM
i am guessing that if u cut through both layers evenly and filed it all back to be square. It could work providing the spex or whatever u use fits between the cutouts snugly.

However, noone here can be certain until we see some pics of what the case looks like.

Sisp
12-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Okay Guys ... before i post some pics ive had a better idea and am wondering how i owuld go about doing it ... I have seen you guys doing blow holes before and would like to know if this would be okay

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Sisp/Planforside1.png

I know i would have to get the measurements exact but i think it sure would look awsome

Btw im thinking of 80mm Fans

digital_exhaust
12-13-2005, 07:48 PM
I've found the best way to cut a window in a two layer side panel is to remove the inner layer first. Carefully use a cutoff wheel to cut a square that's larger than your design in the inner layer. Makes it alot easier and cleaner to cut your design. As far as your biohazard idea... it's cool, but it looks to me like youd be cutting the whole thing out. The black area is supposed to be a window, and the withe areas are where you want to put your fans?? What will you mount them to?? Plexi?? If thats the case your gonna see the "square" fan housing through your window. I dunno, maybe I'm confused but thats the way I see it. You could reverse the idea, using the fans as the cut out area, and where you have your led placed, and cut a large circular window around the whole thing.. Just a thought.

Viper-Inc
12-14-2005, 01:16 AM
yeh. i was wandering how he would do the whole cutting out and the hiding of the fan casings. just have to see what he comes up with.

richmandudeus
12-14-2005, 02:32 AM
So i had a little time to think about your biohazard mod idea and i was thinking that if you got the fans lights to the color you want, then frost the windows and let em show. As far as the center piece with the led light, that would be tough cause if i have it correct, you would either have to paint on that design for the center or cut out a piece and glue it on to the window. What did you have in mind for the led? just a light? a light to light the plexi? If it is to light the plexi, i would suggest to do without and go with the fans lights (you don't have to listen, it's just my opinion). As far as the layers, i think i know what you're talking about but a little inlightenment would be good as well (drawing:p )
http://usera.imagecave.com/richdude/3fanmod.JPG

Good luck and happy modding!!!:D

Sisp
12-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Hehe like your drawing i was alo thinking a bit about how i would do the LED and i suppose if i could get LED Fans it'd probably look 100x Better ..

What will happen is My biohazard as a window and the Fans in each circle .. i think i might just have to make the design big enough so the fans are quite snug but also so theres a bit (and equal amount) of space between the window and the fan So its a little like this ::

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Sisp/Planforside2fanfittings.png

I dont really know wether this will work "/ all i know is that the fan cases will be snug where as the fan s look about 1 cm in from the window .. (i hope)

Sisp

Please comment on my mod ( i havent started it yet but once i get my dremel you'll never see the end of my reign =D )

This is the fan im gonna get (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=14125903670&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43061)

Viper-Inc
12-15-2005, 11:59 PM
hmm.. to me the whole biohazard circle is worrying me with the fan factor.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/3369/planforside2fanfittingsedited5.jpg

I got that picture and i made some adjustments for you to consider. You don't have to use them but it is to start you thinking about some of the light positionings and some other cool stuff. (you could even get a normal fan, make fan casing out of plexi then add just the led lights in my design, or u could add both and have the colours blend)

Xato
12-16-2005, 03:50 AM
if only i had leet paint skillz too >_<

Richmandudeus' layout seems the best in my opinion. The fans should all fit togethor in that layout, and with enough space for the lights in the middle of the design. Not only that, it should give the plexi enough structure around the fan holes to be able to not break.

Sisp
12-16-2005, 01:44 PM
nows the hard part i need to find the exact size for the design and the fans to go into .. So .. has to be over 160mm im thinking about 200mm would do it.. What do you guys think

This is how it would look if i did use a 200mm Design (this is put to scale via photoshop - The fans are also on scale) ::

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Sisp/Fandesigntoscale.png

richmandudeus
12-16-2005, 06:00 PM
So far so good. If the fan holes are just holes then you would have a casing design surrounding the windows.

Sisp
12-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Sorry , ... i dont understand all you 1337 case modding language .. =D if you mean other stuff around the window and main design then yes of course i am there will be no space that i cannot put a danger sign or another one of those crazy things that you guys use :D

richmandudeus
12-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Hehe i meant that the white lines between the red circles and black window lines on your sketch would be the panel itself.:rolleyes:

Sisp
12-17-2005, 07:12 AM
ooooH okay then =D yes it is gonna be the panel im actually thinking about somthing now .. okay .. as i want to Add 3 fans into the crescents and what i have done is put the actual fan and not that Square that supports it so im gonna have to buy 6 fans right so its gonna be 3 crystal clear fans and 3 Green uv reactive (ive decided) Fans so that i can take the Actual fan and fit it into the clear supports so you can see through a whole lot better =D

Maybe if i could find some Green plexi it could work also =D

Okay another What IT would look like

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Sisp/Fandesigntoscale2.png

adreamtraveler
12-17-2005, 10:43 AM
i think i'm a little confused by your diagram...how are you going to mount the fans? :? it looks like the screw holes will be in areas that wouldn't work out very well for them...i might have missed something, but i just thought i'd ask :P

Sisp
12-17-2005, 02:51 PM
im confused by my own design also .. im having the smae problem that your having o.O..
maybe i should make a new plan "/

richmandudeus
12-17-2005, 08:14 PM
lol... just out of curiousity, what color do you plan on painting the panel itself? Why not use 2 plexiglasses instead of one and paint the one that's not the window?
http://usera.imagecave.com/richdude/plexipanel.JPG
Ok so my art sucks and scales are way off but you get the point...

Sisp
12-18-2005, 05:20 PM
i do :-D that would help many but wouldnt the back Black one change the Green
Colour or is the green not see through ? also Where can i get Plexi from .. you guys are lucky I live i nthe uk and for power tools i need to Drive like 9 miles :| and plus i dont know wether i oculd buy it anywhere of the net ... Advice ?!?!

richmandudeus
12-18-2005, 06:28 PM
The colored plexi would make it so you couldn't see the fan housings. If you frost the green plexi, then the led light would light it up instead of the fans. So the fan holes are lit up by the fans and the window would be lit up by the led light. hope this clears it up a bit.

Sisp
12-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Need Plexi though :| .. How i get ?!?!?! :p Ty for helping me when Santa (my dad) gets me my dremel Ill be cutting (im only 14 :p)

Malatory
12-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Need Plexi though :| .. How i get ?!?!?! :p Ty for helping me when Santa (my dad) gets me my dremel Ill be cutting (im only 14 :p)
in the US we have a store called mcmasters & usplatic that we can get the acrylic from. Check with some of the UK modding sites (Bit-tech) to see where others get there in the UK.