PDA

View Full Version : Laptop is dead... sort of

crenn
12-20-2008, 03:00 AM
Yesterday after turning off my laptop (due to a power surge), I found I couldn't turn my laptop back on, due to the power switch not seeming to work. Today I pull apart the laptop to discover that the same switches used for my track pad (which died ages ago) are used for the power button. The problem I'm having is I need to find 3 of these tactile switches, but they're small. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea where to get such switches? (Not ebay) I only need 3 and I can repair my laptop, I'll try to provide dimensions when I can find a ruler.

XcOM
12-20-2008, 10:49 AM
try maplins (UK) Radioshack(US) or other electrical outlet, if you can rmeove it take one along with you as a refrence and ask

edit:

I forgot to ask, can you turn it on if you short the contacts with tweasers or something? just to ensure it is the button thats the issue?

crenn
12-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Because of the way the laptop is built, I had to remove the heatsinks, I might be able to reattach them and link up the power adapter to try it, but that will have to be later today.

EDIT: After applying a screw driver to the power switch contacts, the LEDs turned on so I removed the battery to turn it back off. I can confirm it is the switch. DSE don't really have what I need, but I have a supplier that most likely has what I need.

deadevil13
05-28-2009, 09:16 AM
try maplins (UK)?...

I hate maplin...they are very expensive for what they sell...ebuyer, aria, overclockers and ebay FTW

Bopher
05-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Switches like these (http://au.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=tactile+switch)?

XcOM
05-31-2009, 12:28 PM
I hate maplin...they are very expensive for what they sell...ebuyer, aria, overclockers and ebay FTW

i admit maplins are expencive for hardware, but for electrical equipment there very good, and i've been in there a few times with problems and they guy at the back helped me figure a soloution