PDA

View Full Version : External DVD enclosure

blueonblack
12-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Is there any reason I couldn't use the connector portion of an IDE external hard drive enclosure to operate an IDE DVD drive through a USB 2.0 port? Will XP recognize it and utilize it properly through USB? Will I suffer significant loss of data transfer speed? (pondering a little desktop cleanup...)

Thanks anyone!

p0Pe
12-20-2008, 07:33 AM
nope nope and nope:)
you will see a little change in speed. f.eks going from 30 min to 40 for a transfer. but thats to live with:)

blueonblack
12-20-2008, 07:45 AM
nope nope and nope:)
you will see a little change in speed. f.eks going from 30 min to 40 for a transfer. but thats to live with:)

Thanks for the quick response. That sounds good, but the second "nope" worries me, my second question was "Will XP recognize it and utilize it properly though USB?" I'm thinking this was a typo given the smiley. :)

This is good news, thanks!!

XcOM
12-20-2008, 10:17 AM
to an extent, the second question regarding will xp use it correctly, you might not beable to write any data with it, you might be able to, try it and see.

crenn
12-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Put it this way, there are external drives sold whole which contain a normal IDE DVD burner in them, only difference? Higher price tag (due to power adapter, more electronics and it being external)

XcOM
12-21-2008, 12:07 PM
the electronics in an external burner are far ore complex than a hdd, th hdd versions are just bridges, where as the cd burner is a true controller, i have a raid card i can put hdd's and cd/dvds on no problem, but i can't put a burner on, it won't work correctly