PDA

View Full Version : Review: Saitek Cyborg Command Unit

Vexxx_2007
12-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Hello on Christmas morning everyone!
I have just received in the mail a brand new
Saitek Cyborg Command Unit!
Someone asked me to review this device (can't remember your name off-hand, sorry) so I then had the excuse to buy one!

Price at time of review: $35-40 USD (though I scored mine on Ebay $25 shipped :D)

Like the keyboard, it has the red, green, and amber colors of backlighting, though not in the different zones, though this is acceptable because it has only 21 keys.

Pics coming soon!! Can't find the camera at the moment..

Very cool in my opinion and very well-built, it feels rock-solid when i hold itt, though still light in weight.

This thing is programmable to high-heaven!

In the Saitek profile editor software, you can choose, with your keyboard, which keys relate to what on the command pad. Most of these come pre-set though, so you won't need to fumble with it if you don't understand the software. (Though i don't see that happening, it's practically retard-proof)

Performs perfectly in gaming scenarios (Used only in Half-life 2 so far though haha) (gosh I use parentheses a lot) (wow i never noticed)

on the right side of the pad is a little mini joystick which serves as a mouse in such gaming scenarios. next to this mini-joystick are two buttons that feel just like mouse buttons, so this thing could probably used for one-handed gaming on a very basic level.

The 21 button is called, in the manual, a "Shiftstate" button, which is, obviously, like holding the shift key. it allows for another set of buttons to be programmed into the command unit whenever it is "shifted"

I think that covers all the buttons and their functions, the rest is pretty straight-forward.

My Verdict:

Cost: 9.5/10
Build Quality: 9.5/10
Functionality: 9.5/10
Features: 10/10

Overall: 9/10

Hope you guys enjoyed the review!

Maybe now, someone will be hopeful to get their own Cyborg Command Unit!

VitzĄ^
12-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Oh bums, my mrs said to me b4 christmas, do you want one of the command units... I said, nah, it's alright, there are other things I would have before that... and low and behold you post a review making me want one :crap: LoL.

I did however get the cyborg keyboard for chrimby, which is uber cool, love the lighting options on it :D

P.S. I think it was me that asked if you had ever come across this thing, but i reckon you made that an excuse to buy and review it! haha! love that!!

With the software, do you have any problems with the profile editor crashing? I can't load mine up at all. AT ALL!! It's damn annoying. Works fine in vista tho (i dual boot Vista/XP, with XP being my main system) so when i need to edit anything i just do so in Vista and drop it into the relevant folder in xp, lol. Oh, and tech support on this issue are f'in useless.

Vexxx_2007
12-31-2008, 04:44 AM
With the software, do you have any problems with the profile editor crashing? I can't load mine up at all. AT ALL!! It's damn annoying. Works fine in vista tho (i dual boot Vista/XP, with XP being my main system) so when i need to edit anything i just do so in Vista and drop it into the relevant folder in xp, lol. Oh, and tech support on this issue are f'in useless.

Never happened to me once... The profile/editor/whateveryoufeellikecallingit works like a breeze for me. I'm running XP SP2 by itself, and the command unit and keyboard software both work great.

I've never hadda ask the techies from Saitek for help, so I wouldn't know

But from past experiences with tech support from, say, almost ANYWHERE, it has almost always proved useless.

VitzĄ^
12-31-2008, 05:13 AM
yeah, they say you get response within 24hours... having sent a new email to them on monday, i'm still waiting :| I know christmas has got in the way, and now new year, but they must've been in in betweed you would think :|

Anyway, I'm looking at a full format i think :( (it kinda needs doing anyway, but that aint the point! :P)

Vexxx_2007
12-31-2008, 08:18 PM
yeah, they say you get response within 24hours... having sent a new email to them on monday, i'm still waiting :| I know christmas has got in the way, and now new year, but they must've been in in betweed you would think :|

Anyway, I'm looking at a full format i think :( (it kinda needs doing anyway, but that aint the point! :P)

Yeah, customer service is usually quite painful and they certainly take their time.

sounds like quite a difficult ordeal for you :(
That sucks! i wish i would I could help you out, but i've had no problems with this thing yet.

VitzĄ^
01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
full format it was :( All working fine now at last :D

Anyway, any more comments on this unit now you have more gamin under your belt with it?

Vexxx_2007
01-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Aww man that's no good!
But at least all the problems are solved :)

After a weekish of gaming around, I still love it!
I usually do my homework when i buy stuff, so I never experience any of the dreaded buyer's remorse
If you have any extra money, you can't go wrong with getting this thing! I totally give it 5 stars :D

VitzĄ^
01-16-2009, 07:27 PM
sound... goes on my next purchase list then :D

After that I'll have the Cyborg Keyboard, Mouse Gamepad and Command unit :D