PDA

View Full Version : Disk drive(s) won't open

Indybird
12-29-2008, 02:08 AM
This is just about the weirdest problem I've ever seen; when I press the eject button on my disk drive (or click eject in windows), you hear the tray motor start up but then it stops and makes the loading sound like it had just closed. I can get them to open after 20+ tries at this. Also, if there is a disk in it opens no problem.

What do you think could be wrong with it?

OK, now here's the weird part: I've had this happen on both of my disk drives (both Lite-On IDE), one of my friends disk drives (Sony), and my other friend's Xbox 360 disk drive. All the exact same problem and symptoms.

I don't even know what to search for on google, so I came to you guys.

Thanks,
Indybird

FuzzyPlushroom
12-29-2008, 04:19 AM
I dunno who makes the 360 drives, but Lite-On and Sony are now the same company. Sounds like something's stopping the drive from ejecting, like there's something stuck inside, or a little belt or gear inside has given out.

If the drives are about the same age, they should be similar inside. Have a look in one of yours (if you power it up with the lid off, don't look at the laser) and see if anything appears to be stripped or loose.

Indybird
12-29-2008, 04:50 AM
I dunno who makes the 360 drives, but Lite-On and Sony are now the same company. Sounds like something's stopping the drive from ejecting, like there's something stuck inside, or a little belt or gear inside has given out.

If the drives are about the same age, they should be similar inside. Have a look in one of yours (if you power it up with the lid off, don't look at the laser) and see if anything appears to be stripped or loose.

I forgot to tell you something in the original post (I updated it), this might be something else now.

Thanks,
Indybird

XcOM
12-29-2008, 04:04 PM
I forgot to tell you something in the original post, this might be something else now.

Thanks,
Indybird

and this extra info is......?

what could it be....?

nevermind1534
12-29-2008, 06:01 PM
It happened to a drive that came out of my parents' old emachines (every one of those computers that I know has had something that got f***ed up). It is a Hitachi LG, I believe. My uncle tried to eject the DVD, and it wouldn't open; he ended up pulling the bottom of the drive off the get the DVD out. It will open and close now, but not smoothly.

Luke122
12-29-2008, 11:52 PM
You say it works fine with a disc in the drive? Try adding alittle bit of weight to the drive tray. It's possible the drive gears are getting worn, and not making good contact, and the little bit of weight makes it catch.

xmastree
12-30-2008, 11:32 AM
I've had this problem with older drives. In my case it was a little drive belt which started to slip after a while. With the power off, use the pinhole to release the tray and pull it out slowly, you may see the belt just inside the drive. It's possible to replace it without dismantling the drive, but it's tricky.

Some info here (http://www.kymatasound.com/Optical_drive_fix.htm) near the bottom of the page

Luke122
12-30-2008, 12:00 PM
I suppose dust buildup could also cause that belt to slip!

moon111
12-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Kids? I've seen cases where kids found it a neat thing to try and put things in. If it don't come back out, they usually don't tell anyone. I've seen everything from change to a 3.5 floppy disk jammed in drives.

XcOM
01-01-2009, 11:27 AM
when i was a kid i used to feed my VCR toast with jam,

Twigsoffury
01-13-2009, 05:58 PM
both of my disk drives (both Lite-On IDE),

theres your problem i won't ever buy lite-on again after one of there roms Ate my brand new BF2142 in a hail of smoke,ballbearings and CD slivers.

there should be a paperclip hole to manually pop open the bay

there are really two styles of CD roms at this point. there are the kind with two metal bars that the lens rides and moves on. these are the more expensive kind

the other kind the lens sits on a plastic sleeve and has a plastic foot that slides back and forth after so long the plastic wears away just enough for it to stop reading or jam altogether.

thats the reason why your playstation2 stopped playing playstation 2 games but would still play CD's and ps1 games.

total BS.

billygoat333
01-17-2009, 03:00 AM
I had this happen to me on an old school creative labs cd rom drive. turns out the tray had just gotten off track, all I had to do was pull it out completely out manually, and then hit the close button and it worked fine after that.

Indybird
01-17-2009, 03:41 AM
I had this happen to me on an old school creative labs cd rom drive. turns out the tray had just gotten off track, all I had to do was pull it out completely out manually, and then hit the close button and it worked fine after that.

hey waddya know? I tried that out, and its been working just fine for a few hours now! We'll just have to see how long it works, that is if it stop working at all.

+rep for the fix.

Thanks,
Indybird

billygoat333
01-17-2009, 05:26 AM
glad it worked :)

Indybird
01-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Well the next day, it started doing it again (haven't turned my computer off). BUT, I really don't mind anymore because it always opens after three button presses. So I guess your solution still worked...kinda. But seriously thanks, its million times less annoying already.

-Indybird

billygoat333
01-18-2009, 06:31 AM
well... a sort of solution is better than none. :S

deadevil13
05-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Indybird....

I have had this problem many of a time.....and i still couldnt understand what was wrong with it....so i have the best advice i think you could ever have......

If its that much of an annoyance....go on eBay and buy a new one.....!