PDA

View Full Version : Digital and Analog Audio at the Same Time???

The boy 4rm oz
12-29-2008, 07:46 AM
I am looking to upgrade my stereo system in my room to a full "Home Theater" set up by PHILIPS. With PHILIPS ceasing their export to Australia during this economic crisis I can get a $1000AUD system for $550AUD, so why not lol. The system I am looking at getting is the PHILIPS HTS3568DW/98 (http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/au/consumer/cc/_productid_HTS3568DW_98_AU_CONSUMER/DVD-home-theater-system+HTS3568DW-98).

Currently my audio system consists of a 2.0 Altec Lansing system (front speakers) and a Pioneer A390 mini HiFi system (rear speakers, via AUX connection).

This PHILIPS system I am looking at getting will connect to my PC via a Digital Coaxial connector which my motherboard has. I would really like to keep my Altec Lansing system as my front speakers cos they are perfect for hooking my headphones into plus they are really good speakers.

My question for you is, is it possible to connect my Altec Lansing speakers via an Analog connection and the PHILIPS system via a Digital Coaxial connector and still be able to play the same audio through both sets at the same time. I have a bad feeling that the Digital Coaxial connection will override the Analog signal.

I can't find anything in my motherboard manual about this nor on the website and DFI wont return my emails so I am turning to you guys.

I know you are probably thinking that I should ditch the Altecs but they are dear to me cos my late grandfather brought them for me plus they are awesome speakers and are very convenient.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tb4o-

Luke122
12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm pretty sure that the output can only be one or the other, not both at the same time, but why not just try it out, and see what you get? :)

The boy 4rm oz
12-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah that's what I thought. I'll give it a shot, if it doesn't work it doesn't work, if it does it will be great.

I could have both sets plugged in and just turn off the home theater when I need to use the front speakers when I need to be "quiet" lol.

Thanks for your help Luke.

Luke122
12-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Heh.. sorry that I wasnt more help on this one!

TheMainMan
12-29-2008, 11:51 PM
I can't guarantee that this will always be the case but my system allows me to have my 5.1 speakers attached via a Toslink optical from the motherboard to the reciever, and when I plug my headphones into either the front or rear headphone port I have sound in both my headphones and the speakers.

My setup consists of a ASUS P5N32-E SLI mobo using the supplied PCI-e soundcard. The Toslink connects directly from the motherboard to an RCA RT2390 home theater reciever. I'm running Windows XP Pro and this seems to be the default behaviour as I haven't configured this.

If I can find a cable to hook up the digital coaxial connector to the reciever I will let you know if that works the same way but I assume that it should.
EDIT: Found a coaxial cable to test and it works the same way. I don't have another multi-channel system to see if the soundcard will support more than just headphones but I suspect it would. The only thing that I can think of that would cause your setup to behave differently would be the on-board audio as my mobo has only the digital connections and no built in mini-plug audio, so I can't test to be sure.

Hope some of this helps:neutral:

Luke122
12-29-2008, 11:53 PM
A regular RCA cable will work for that connector. If you mean an adaptor to go from the digital rca to optical, then I know those exist, and have seen them, but have no idea where to get it. Try www.crutchfield.com maybe..?

TheMainMan
12-30-2008, 12:40 AM
I have both types of connectors on both the PC and the reciever, I just needed to go through my pile of cables to find an RCA cable of appropriate length.

My only concern is around the fact that I have no onboard audio on the motherboard except the digital, the analog is handled by a PCI-e 1x card that came with the mobo. My guess is that because they are different formats(i.e. digital vs. analog) it shouldn't be an either/or situation but rather one/both. I can't confirm this though.

nevermind1534
12-30-2008, 12:49 AM
If you have onboard and a card, you should be able to only use one for the same thing at a time.

TheMainMan
12-30-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well. In my system it is possible to have both a digital (Toslink or Digital Coaxial on the mobo) and an analog (headphones on the soundcard or front headphone jack). Here's what the back of my system looks like.
http://www.asus.com/999/images/products/1459/P5N32-E_SLI_Back.jpg
The way that ASUS designed the board means that my analog is on a seperate card (on the right) and the digital is on the mobo (next to the PS/2 ports). Both work simultaneously to outputting to different devices, though I'm not sure if this setup behaves typically or atypically to a standard onboard audio solution

In the end, I guess I'm with Luke122 on this. You'll just have to try it and see.

The boy 4rm oz
12-30-2008, 04:31 AM
MainMan mine has the same layout as yours kinda. My Karajan audio module attaches to the motherboard as a module but it isn't like a sound card, it is like having a detachable USB brick on the rear of the motherboard. Both my digital in and out are set up like your Digital Coaxial and Digital Optical.

Well I went and got the system today, sounds fantastic. I got a 6m Coaxial cable made up to link it to my PC but I need to flip a jumper on the motherboard before it activates the Coaxial ports, a job for tomorrow perhaps.

The next thing I need to do is wall mount my speakers but I am afraid the cables aren't long enough. Usually I would just buy new leads but these have weird plastic connectors on the ends (link Molex plugs but only 2 pins). The rear speakers come with a wireless adapter so I may take advantage of that at a later date but at the moment I need to find out what those connectors are so I can make extensions lol.

Thank you all for your help. One I get the signal sorted coming from my PC I will let you know how it goes.

Crazy Buddhist
01-01-2009, 09:44 AM
If you find using the digital cuts the analogue (it may or may not) there is an answer for you: Get a digital splitter and a digital to analogue converter. Run one output from the splitter to your surround and the other to the analogue converter and on to your Altec Lansing speakers.

CB

ps I am looking forward to the demo video and shots from this feature of your new kit:

Karaoke Scoring
Karaoke Scoring is an advanced feature that automatically rates your singing and gives you a humorous picture that is tied to your scores.

The boy 4rm oz
01-01-2009, 09:57 AM
HAHA thanks CB, that may actually be an option, I was looking at the splitters the other day. To bad I am broke now, I had to borrow $300 from my brother so I could get the home theater lol.

The Karaoke sounds fun, too bad I don't have a monitor to plug the DVD player into. I plan to get a new monitor (24") anyway and run an S-Video cord from the player to the monitor. That way I can fiddle with bass and treble settings on the player because the options don't show on the machine itself.

Thanks for the help mate.

*EDIT*
I just took another look at the Realtek HD Audio Manager (should have done it sooner), I physically have to select the primary channel (Digital or Analog) so audio wont play through both at the same time, looks like the splitters are my only option. 7.1 surround sound any one lol.

Crazy Buddhist
01-01-2009, 10:34 AM
I just took another look at the Realtek HD Audio Manager (should have done it sooner), I physically have to select the primary channel (Digital or Analog) so audio wont play through both at the same time, looks like the splitters are my only option. 7.1 surround sound any one lol.

Yw for the help mate :)

Realtek .... And .... here is why:

I have been in touch with Realtek and they have
replied "Vista did not define this function for HD Audio System "Basically in Windows XP it was part of the audio subsytem definition that it must handle digital and analogue simultaneously. No problem.

In Windows Vista this functionality was purposely dropped from the totally redesigned audio subsystem. It was specified not to be included to H/W manufacturers and is history.

The only explanation I have found anywhere on the net for this is to do with Digital Rights Management and I can't see why that would be relevant.

Splitter is your only option unless you want to compare the impedence of your Altec Lansings and mod/wire them in as the front speakers if they are a match. But you prolly don't wanna be cutting up a $550 sound system the day after you bought it lol

Matthew

EDIT: A Micro$oft discussion where they first say they are working on it and it is hard coded into Vista and hard to sort out (30/4/2008 ) .... but later replies imply they are doing jack all about it.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/e82933fd-b3cb-46a2-9a08-0ca4652a589f/

The boy 4rm oz
01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Ah, thanks a lot for the info mate. That really helped out a lot.

The boy 4rm oz
01-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Well I have hit a wall. I went to set the jumped on my mobo to allow the S/PDIF output when I found the pins are missing, I have no way to activate the S/PDIF ports without soldering a lead between the ports where the pins should be and I really don't want to try that. Looks like I am getting myself a sound card after all. Auzentech Xplosion 7.1 Cinema here I come lol.

J-Roc
01-06-2009, 05:27 AM
with a sound card and onboard you can have dual output. I believe it'll work like this: you can set programs to use either the onboard or sound card. you probly wont get the same sound from both but eh, its a start.

Crazy Buddhist
01-07-2009, 02:57 AM
with a sound card and onboard you can have dual output. I believe it'll work like this: you can set programs to use either the onboard or sound card. you probly wont get the same sound from both but eh, its a start.

That's no start because getting the same sound from both at the same time is the point of the exercise. And adding a soundcard won't let you use both onboard and add in card at the same time.

Only way to do this is have a splitter on the coax and something that can take the 5.1 mix and mix it down to a stereo output for the front speakers.

Or wait until Micro$oft fix this problem that they simultaneously admit exists and say does not.

There may be some professional level cards that will do all this onboard - I haven't looked but its about the only other possibility as it could be manufactured expressly to bypass the vista coding that implemented this downgraded functionality.

Matthew

The boy 4rm oz
01-07-2009, 08:18 AM
I am just gonna get my Auzentech sound card and a Coaxial "Y" splitter and a Coaxial-Analog adapter, I'd rather just remove the on board sound completely, there is no point having both a sound card and on board. Thanks for your input though J-Roc.

Crazy Buddhist
01-08-2009, 02:37 AM
I am just gonna get my Auzentech sound card and a Coaxial "Y" splitter and a Coaxial-Analog adapter, I'd rather just remove the on board sound completely, there is no point having both a sound card and on board. Thanks for your input though J-Roc.

The boy,

You have to make sure the coax-analogue adapter can DOWNMIX from 5.1 channels to stereo. If not you will have to send a stereo signal down the coax meaning you lose your surround sound completely.

Matthew

Here is one that does what you need. It's $75 so it might be worth looking into other options still.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/digital-to-analog-audio-converter.html

EDIT: Actually I am unsure about that one it may not downmix.

The box that comes with these gaming headphones would work as it has audio outputs, you could use the front ones for your Altec Lansings.

http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/sound/headsets/Tritton/AX360/index.htm

J-Roc
01-08-2009, 03:09 AM
shouldnt the front panel connectors on a soundcard still provide audio even if your main rear output is digital?

And adding a soundcard won't let you use both onboard and add in card at the same time.

Depending on the program being used, it is completly possible to select the input and output device used. I can have my ventrillo client output its audio through my ati-hdmi cable and still have winamp output through the toslink on my razer soundcard. I havent tried with my onboard but its selectable in ventrillo so it must be able to use it.

The boy 4rm oz
01-08-2009, 03:34 AM
Thanks for your help guys.

@CB - Thanks for the info. I have been doing a bit of research and have came to the same conclusion as you. I will just connect my Altecs via Analog and the home theater via Coaxial to the Auzentech sound card. I have been talking to one of the tech support people from Auzentech and they tell me this will work but I will only get 2 channels through each connector. This would be a problem if I was going to run both sets of speakers at the same time but the Altecs will only be powered on when I need to use my headphones or for some quiet listening. This will allow me utilise my full surround sound and have the flexibility of not having to go behind my PC to plug in headphones when I need them.

@J-Roc - I know for a fact that using the rear audio connectors on my DFI Karajan audio card disables the front connector capabilities. I could probably just run my headphones off the default audio but then I am not getting the advantages of hardware accelerated audio plus it will add a bit more strain to my CPU. I am planning on removing all on board sound because it wont be needed with the new Auzentech sound card.

Once again thanks for your help guys.