PDA

View Full Version : Problem with new build, no video.

HackSore
01-08-2009, 03:55 PM
New build for a friend, just got it all today, built it all up and fired it up, and no video output.
The fans and the hdd all spin up ok, sounds like its booting ok, but no video.
First tried with the graphics card, then the onboard video, then a different graphics card, all with the same result.
Tried a working monitor too, no luck.
Removed one then both sticks of ram, same issue, though when there was no ram installed, it gave me a beep code, which made me think even more that the machine is running ok somewhere under the problem.
Now, the power supply is dead cheap, came with the case and some pereferals.
its 400w, and should be enough to power the machine, but im not too sure about amps.
Im gonna try a different psu tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.
Unfortunatly im deathly ill and my head isnt exactly on straight, so i desperatly need some help in sorting this quickly.
At the moment im thinking its either the psu or the motherboard is faulty.
What do you guys think?

Oh and sorry for the lack of technical info, but im really shattered and need to relax, if you need any extra details, just ask.

Mitternacht
01-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I just had the same problem. Make double sure that your RAM is good; one of my sticks was dead and kept the good stick from letting the machine boot.

HackSore
01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Ok, well, the machine gives a video signal with one stick of ram, doesnt matter which one.
And i get the message "bad bios checksum"
Tried resetting the cmos, removing the battery, when i put in the motherboard cd it seems to flash the bios, but i still get the same message when i restart it.
Tried it with known working ram, still the same issue.
It would seem this is quite a common occurance with asus boards, and so far the only solution i have found seems to be to get a new bios chip from them.
Guess i will have to RMA the board an get a different one, which is a pain in the ass, as my friend has been waiting a while for this computer.

Twigsoffury
01-13-2009, 05:54 PM
hmmm so if you just populate one bank it works but says checksum error.

checksum errors are common when you first boot.

having a floppy selected in the bios with out physically having a floppy installed can give you a cmos checksum error.

you got the model number for the board?

bad checksum almost always means you just have to go through and change the default settings to the correct ones for your hardware set up.

reading the manual has always saved me.

on asus boards you can't populate two different color Ram slots. both sticks have to be in the same color slot.

FuzzyPlushroom
01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Does it matter which slot you put the single stick in?

nevermind1534
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
And does your RAM require more than 1.8V?