PDA

View Full Version : Filing metal edges

wingman358
12-17-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm working on a window for the top of my case... I already cut the hole with a jigsaw, but of course the edges aren't perfect, so I need to file them down. My question is how do you go about filing metal edges down efficiently? What's the easiest way? Is there a good tool for this? I've tried filing them down with my dremel and it works but it leaves a weird lip that I have to pry off. I've also tried a wide assortment of hand files, but they work at less than a snails pace, almost as if I've never filed it :/

Malatory
12-17-2005, 02:14 PM
dremel with a stone wheel works well, then use hand files for tight and hard to fit areas. and last sandpaper.

wingman358
12-17-2005, 06:07 PM
=/ it takes forrrevverrr though

GhostRider
12-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Try using a finer tooth blade for your saw and take a little more time cutting it out. you can also look into a 1/4" Right Angle Air Die Grinder like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007GINZQ/qid=1134864929/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/002-2537685-1802405?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013 with a 2" or 3" grinding pad they come in 36 to 80 grit if you have air compressor or a deburing tool like this http://www.newmantools.com/noga.htm for that edge you where talking about. good luck

Xato
12-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Cleaning up edges will always take ages. Just make sure you have a good set of files or dremel attachments, and a nice new jigsaw blade, which does make a difference.

Malatory
12-19-2005, 02:02 AM
=/ it takes forrrevverrr though

doing quick always leaves a mess and makes you wish you took more time.

Why do you think it takes so long to do a mod.

crazybillybob
12-19-2005, 01:54 PM
I picked up a set of Carbide deburring heads that fit into my dremel at a sale.
I use those, dremel cutoff wheels (like a mini angle grinder) and several files ( I have a nice heavy 18" long file that removes material in a hurry), then clean up with a small file (6") touch up with sandpaper where needed. Cleaning up a bad / rough cut takes a long time to fix. Only way to spend less time filing is ....make better cuts. That my friend comes with time and practice. :p :eek: , and even then...WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES. Keep at it you'll have every thing smoothed out and looking great soon (when it's done all the time spent filing will be worth it!)

I will guarantee that some of the best mods here (as well as some of the best modders) have hours into filing and sanding!:) So just remember your in good company!

Crazybillybob