PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have a separate dvd/cd drive?

Samurai of Ice
12-17-2005, 09:57 PM
like, can you have the computer on the floor, with the dvd/cd drive sitting on top of the desk? there's a shelf under my desk that I want to put the computer on, and the back of the desk is only 1/8 inch plywood that I want the cables to come through connecting the cd drive that is sitting on top of the desk.

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs8/300W/i/2005/316/5/1/speakers_by_Samurai_of_Ice.jpg

yeah, say it's ugly and all, and it has the worst surround sound setup ever, but the computer is awesome and it plays all the games I want it to, so it's fine. I want the cd drive to sit to the right of the monitor, and the computer on that ledge that you can see the edge of right below the keyboard.

so, can I do that? what extra cables do I need? can I even get longer cables (about 2 feet)? and, yes, I will build a case around the cd drive if I can do this.?

thanks to anyone who can help me.

richmandudeus
12-17-2005, 10:22 PM
that is verry possible. If you wanna use the one that you do have and not buy an external drive, then you will need to extend one of the molex power cords from the power supply and a long ide cable. With the propper housing and some elbow grease and you got yourself a mod.:D

Would be cool if you can mod the dvdrom into that little drawer to the right of the keyboard. Just an opinion.

Xato
12-17-2005, 11:46 PM
As long as it doesnt extend too far it should be fine. As i'm not to sure about the active length of the ATA and SATA cables, but it should be fine if being used on the same desk.

Samurai of Ice
12-17-2005, 11:59 PM
so there are only two cables connecting the cd drive?

if I built a fully plexiglass case, except the bottom, would I just place LED's spaced out around the case to make it a color? If I did two colors of LED's, would that work? or would the colors blend too much?

Xato
12-18-2005, 12:06 AM
If you wanted the whole plexiglass case to light up, you would problably have to 'frost' it. you do this by sanding it till the plexi turns frosty. If you look in the project galleries for some of Defynts mods, you'll see a few examples of it.

abnoea
12-18-2005, 12:59 AM
my friend has the same mousepad as you =P

Samurai of Ice
12-18-2005, 02:42 AM
It is a pretty cool mouse pad

Aristo
12-18-2005, 06:40 PM
don't do that stupid idea of running the ide and power out the back of your case... that's way too long for the data signal to run. Go get a external 5 1/4 drive bay and put a dvd/cd burner in it and have a 2nd drive... or just buy one premade... Get official HIGHSPEED USB 2.0 or firewire if your pc will support it.