PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard manufacturer?

bartvandenberg
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Just curious to know what everyone preferred make of motherboard/computer components is? Not sure if this one's been done before, but.. i build a lot of custom computers, and i always build around ASUS board, and have never had an issue.

Jabyaeye
01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
I guess I'm hardcore ASUS, as they have touched my heart many times. :D

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/brands/0016/9812/brand.gif

nevermind1534
01-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Usually, it's ASUS for me.

Bopher
01-19-2009, 11:37 PM
I've used Asus before a lot. But out of budget reasons I used a Biostar in my current build and only have had 1 issue so far. The onboard sound doesn't like to work but I had a sound card to throw in that was better anyway.

Zephik
01-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Asus is nice when you have a good chunk of cash to spend, but I like Gigabyte because they are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Sort of like Crazy PC Enthusiast vs Average Techie?

Asus makes some pretty good quality stuff though. My Asus PG221H monitor is simply amazing! Some of their Eee's are very nice too, like the 1002HA or the S101's. Their N10 series are just flat out freaking sweet for a Netbook. nVidia 9300M GS dedicated garphics, 2GB memory, Wireless N, Express Card, HDMI and 6.5 listed battery life? AWESOME. Kind of pricey though for an Atom based unit.

aintnothang
01-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Msi!

blueonblack
01-20-2009, 05:12 AM
Second the MSI vote, I love mine, and loved the one before it also.

SXRguyinMA
01-20-2009, 03:15 PM
I've got an intel board in my current rig, you forgot to put them on the poll :D

FuzzyPlushroom
01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Cough cough! Leadtek in this machine, EPoX in the A. Got an Abit board in the P4, but that's not exactly being used to its full potential anymore. My old A was an old-school Biostar, but I can't recommend those older boards. :P

Based on what I've run/worked on in the past, I'd say Asus overall, but Abit for Socket A on up. Shuttle deserves an honorable mention, too.

mtekk
01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Gigabyte is usually my first choice, Asus my second if I want a performance PC.

Intel built boards all the way for ultimate stability (but absolutely no tweakability). I have three of them and have never had a single issue, plus I typically use them when fixing friend's PCs have yet to have a single stability issue.

Back in the day I only used Soyo (built 5 PCs with Soyo boards, were very descent boards), and occasionally MSI boards. Then the Soyo dropped out of the market. The MSI boards started getting domed/leaky capacitors so I stopped using them. In the way old days (back in the Super Socket 7 days with AMD K6-2s) we used to have FIC boards, they've seemed to have disappeared from the consumer market.

SXRguyinMA
01-20-2009, 10:08 PM
my old p3 board is a soyo, works awesome and has a little tweakablity in it :up:

you're spot-on on the intel board though, can't tweak mine at all :(

FuzzyPlushroom
01-20-2009, 10:10 PM
In the way old days (back in the Super Socket 7 days with AMD K6-2s) we used to have FIC boards, they've seemed to have disappeared from the consumer market.

The newest ones I'm aware of were some of the best motherboards ever put into eMachines - the nForce2 AU31. Weren't the most featureful boards, but they worked well (and many of them were killed by flaky Bestec power supplies...) Here (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1322) are (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1369) its full-ATX counterparts; here's (http://www.nforcershq.com/fic-fic-au31-matx-nforce2-review/) a review of the board itself. First International Corp. still exists (http://www.fic.com.tw/), but their products are hard to come by in the States. (Anyone want to chip in from another country?)

Sorry to derail this, folks... :redface:

EDIT: Also, Intel boards are generally excellent (though I've not had good luck with 'em) but you're all right, no options at all, and they're usually not quite as quick as their other-chipsetted brethren. Skulltrail (D5400XS) is, of course, the exception.

Collinstheclown
01-20-2009, 11:51 PM
I used ASUS for the most part, but just recently went to a Foxconn board. Need to add them to the poll.

-CollinstheClown

Twigsoffury
02-05-2009, 09:32 PM
This poll sucks

You missed two of the biggest mainboard makers.

Drum Thumper
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
This poll sucks

Name em. I'll add them in if you like.

mtekk
02-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Name em. I'll add them in if you like.

MSI is a big one not on the list, intel is another.

EspoNation
02-07-2009, 11:19 PM
other- msi. but i did own a dfi, and a ecs board at one time :)

TheMainMan
02-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Nothing but Asus here. I have a P5N32 SLi and a P5N32-E SLi and have never had an issue with either. After a firmware update I have a lot of tweakability (is that a word?) on the E which is in my current rig.

bartvandenberg
02-11-2009, 05:55 PM
This poll sucks

well, seems you can never keep everybody happy now can you?

rendermandan
02-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Asus for me. I've had about 5 of them so far.

LiTHiUM0XiD3
02-15-2009, 11:43 AM
i voted asus.... but thats only because you didnt have a ASRock selection... my fav motherboard ever was a ASRock... had the most features overclocked like a beast..... until it burned out lolz.. for now tho.... asus..

DaveW
02-17-2009, 08:33 AM
I've had a range of motherboards, and nothing but problems from most of them. Back in the day, a motherboard was a solid piece of hardware that could really last. I have a chest of older motherboards that I've replaced; recent ones have either broken, or become too unstable.

I won a top of the line ASUS Quad Mobo when I was in CustomPC mag, but it didn't work at all. Some people cited memory, but I was using Corsair XMS, one of the most popular brands. If the motherboard hasn't been tested against this common brand, then how much can I trust the manufacturers? It was a nice motherboard, with a feature list almost as long as Paul's modding credentials. Only problem, none of it worked. It had a street value of £125. I ebayed it, brand new, for £30. Some polish guy bought it; I warned him that it might even be broken, but he was happy with it. Took my £30, slapped an extra £15 on top, and bought a base model Gigabyte Mobo. It will likely be the 3rd or 4th Gigabyte mobo I've bought to replace a faulty, broken, or otherwise unusable motherboard.

Gigabyte has never let me down, and their build quality and stability is superb. Now, I'm completely neutral on most things-ATI vs. NVidea, ATI vs. Intel, OS debates, etc. Yet in this case, I'm happy to throw that shawl off and say from experience that I have never, ever, went wrong with a Gigabyte mobo.

I should also point out that I am the easiest customer in the world to lose. Piss me off once, I'm gone. So until Gigabyte screws up, or until a new player comes into the fray, I'm sticking with them.

-Dave

bartvandenberg
02-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I should also point out that I am the easiest customer in the world to lose. Piss me off once, I'm gone.

-Dave

are you married dave? hahaha

TheGreatSatan
02-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I prefer Gigabyte, but actually have none right now

Xpirate
03-01-2009, 02:53 PM
My first experience with an ASUS board: The bios needed to be upgraded to stop this horrible problem where the machine would freeze up the moment you touch a key on the keyboard. Of course I thought it was a software problem and it took at least couple of weeks to finally get the root cause with Google.

I have read some reviews on Newegg about some other new ASUS boards that have this same problem. This is why I will not choose ASUS for my next PC build. I do not know enough about the other motherboards to make a determination on which one is the best. But, I'll probably get a Gigabyte just from seeing the poll results.