PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get one of these?

OvRiDe
12-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy some of these?

http://www.gaugerclan.com/TBCS/pigtail.jpg

I have seen them with LEDs on the ends, but they are like 2-4 bucks a piece. I am just looking for the connector with the wires on the end. If anybody has any ideas I would really appreciate it. I have tried googling for them but Im not sure what they are really called.. heh

richmandudeus
12-18-2005, 03:11 PM
why don't you just buy the one with the led's on the end and cut the light bulbs off? Just a suggestion. I do it all the time.:p

OvRiDe
12-18-2005, 03:32 PM
why don't you just buy the one with the led's on the end and cut the light bulbs off? J

Yah.. I thought about doing that but since I didnt really need the LED, and the majority of the cost in that setup should be the LED. I was hoping to get off a little cheaper :) Im probably going to need about 25 of them..

adreamtraveler
12-18-2005, 05:32 PM
where are you located? there is a place that you can get all of that stuff bare for cheap and make it yourself. it's Fry's Electronics. it's like a warehouse of everything you'd need to build a pc or circuit board or anything. but they are scattered everywhere and their website sucks and only serves to advertise their ISP division, but they list the locations of all the stores. we have a lot here in CA and there are a bunch in texas but other than that there are only 7 other stores in 7 different states. i drive about 30-45 mins to get to the one near me, but it's a great resource for all kinds of stuff like this.

http://www.frys.com/

they do sell some stuff through their partner site Outpost.com (http://shop2.outpost.com/template/index/) but it's only about 20% of what they have in-store, and only about 5% when it comes to the components department. hope this helps! :D

OvRiDe
12-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the info.. I have heard of Frys but unfortunately the closest one to me is Dallas, TX, which is about 4.5 hours away. I have a few friends in Dallas so I may be able to get one of them check it out for me. I will check out the website maybe I will get lucky.. Thanks again for the great info.. I knew there had to be some better resources out there..

Tableleg
12-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Although I'm working in Lubbock, I'm going back to Dallas at the end of the week for Christmas and I pass right by Frys (the location off of I-20 in Arlington) on the way to the casa.

Let me know if it works out with your friends. Otherwise I wouldn't mind looking for you. It would just be another reason to get me in that store... = )

OvRiDe
12-20-2005, 03:33 PM
That would be awsome.. I won't be able to check with my friends in Dallas till after the holidays, but don't go out of your way or make a special trip on my behalf.. If you end up there anyway I really would appreciate a look..

Thanks in advance and if you don't get there absolutely no worries..

Tableleg
12-21-2005, 10:08 AM
...special trip on my behalf.. No worries bro. Any reason to get my wife to let me go into that wonderful store is a good reason to me. :D

I'll let you know what I find after the holidays. Expect a reply sometime around the 2nd or the 3rd in that I'll be really busy until then.

richmandudeus
12-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Is it just me or is Fry's electronics like disneyland to a child. Atleast that's how i feel about it. There are 2 locations where i am at and both of them are about 10 mins away. I'll be glad to take a gander for yah and let you know what i turn up with. :D My girlfriends family gets me Fry's gift certificates every year for the holidays... It's like sending a child to disneyland unaddultured lol :D .

Rankenphile
12-21-2005, 12:22 PM
It's like sending a child to disneyland unaddultured lol :D .

...I think you mean unsupervised.

richmandudeus
12-21-2005, 01:34 PM
...I think you mean unsupervised.
what he said...:p
it's early in the morning and im full of vicodin...

OvRiDe
12-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys..

Tableleg
12-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Is it just me or is Fry's electronics like disneyland to a child. Atleast that's how i feel about it. LOL... you're not the only one.

There's like 5 in the DFW area and each of them are different. The on that has the southern-country-cowboy theme is the most amusing. There's actually a life sized sculpture of a heard of longhorn grazing above the main entrance... lol

richmandudeus
12-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Yeah... the ones by me, one looks like alice in wonderland, another looks like war of the worlds and the furthest one looks like the lost city of atlantis. It was cool enough without the themes but it gives them a twist i suppose. If only they had virtual tours hehe. And you can forget about lifesize over here cause everything is atleast a story high.

Rankenphile
12-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Oh MAN these places sound so freakin' cool. I wish there was a Fry's near me.

adreamtraveler
12-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Any reason to get my wife to let me go into that wonderful store is a good reason to me. :D

LOLOL man i know exactly how you feel.....my girlfriend hates fry's cause i love to spend a lot of time and money there and she knows before i say anything that i want to goto fry's. lol :p

Is it just me or is Fry's electronics like disneyland to a child.

yea man totally i hear ya there...i love that place as a customer....i worked at the one up in oregon where we did not have a theme...our theme was supposed to be a forest theme and they kept saying for years that we were gonna get it soon....but we never did... so we ended up being the fry's with the ghetto warehouse theme LOL :D ...it suck as an employee there though so try and be nice to the workers there...i was one of them and can tell you for a fact that they get paid nearly nothing to do the work of about 3 job positions...the employee discount can be really great on some things...but you get paid enough to buy anything lol :p so it kinda really sucked to work there.

richmandudeus
12-23-2005, 06:47 PM
LOLOL man i know exactly how you feel.....my girlfriend hates fry's cause i love to spend a lot of time and money there and she knows before i say anything that i want to goto fry's. lol :p

My girl on the other hand likes to go to fry's. She likes all the house appliances and themes as well. I'm so blessed to have her. She also helps me out with my mods.

Tableleg
12-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Holy cow man! We need to work on a girlfriend/wife swapping time chart thing! LOL

Ok OvRide, I stopped by Frys and all they had were the two-to-three pin converter. It has the two pin connector you need on one end and a piece to fit into the 3 pin version on the other. They were $1.49 a piece (so 25 of them would be (after TX state tax) $40.23) and they are available on their website:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3694935?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

If that link doesn't want to work just go to outpost.com and enter 3694935 (the PLU#) into the search field and I guess put 25 into your basket.

Reply here before the 30th or the 31st if that doesn't work or something (you don't have a CC, paypal,etc.) and we can figure out something.

OvRiDe
12-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Tableleg.. You FREAKIN ROCK!! When I first read it, I was thinking it had 2 pin male and 3 pin female which would have been backwards. (read your sig for that explanation). That is exactly what I am looking for.. I can handle ordering it online, and I really appreciate you taking the time to scope that out for me... Thank you Thank you Thank you.. well you get the picture.. :)

EDIT: Order is already in and hopefully will be on its way soon.. Thnx Again!!

Tableleg
12-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Not a problem amigo. You never did explain what it was you wanted with all these things for though... The guy at Frys I had look up the ordering info looked at me like I was stupid when I told him I needed 25 of these things... lol

Good luck with it and pictures of the final product would be cool!

OvRiDe
12-24-2005, 01:48 AM
http://www.gaugerclan.com/TBCS/lcd_pics/LCD_Back_Pins.jpg

Basically its so I can create a plug for an LCD display... I decided its easier to solder those to the parallel port then to solder a wire at both ends. Also it will allow me to unplug it rather then it being a static connection..

At first I thought I could cut down an old IDE cable but the pins on the LCD are too shallow for the IDE connector.. these seem to work great! I will need 25 because there are 16 pins (8 of these per lcd) and basically I have 2 other friends that want one after they saw mine.. heh

There is more information about the whole ordeal :D in this THREAD (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1709)

Tableleg
12-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Good times then. Good luck luck with it!