PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Tracking System

BuzzKillington
01-24-2009, 02:21 AM
http://adeona.cs.washington.edu/

Although no law enforcement would give a rats ass about your stolen laptop, I think the screen shot software is the best part. Odds are if your laptop is stolen it's probably from your school where you could then post fliers around with his or her face.

I don't like the fact that it sends every 30 minutes... it should only send when you run your file.

billygoat333
01-24-2009, 04:12 AM
what happens if a person formats the hdd? no more tracking i guess? kinda worthless, if I were to steal a laptop (not going to, i hate thieves) the first thing I would do would be to wipe the hdd.

just record all your serial numbers and report them to the police and if the clown tries to pawn it, the pawn shop (at least in Idaho) has to by law record the serial number down before they can buy it. therefore it will turn up and as long as the thief is an idiot, they will have given all their info such as address driver's license #, etc to the pawn shop and to the police. @ my old job, we had a few arrests happen due to people trying to sell us stolen game systems. good times.

BuzzKillington
01-24-2009, 05:29 AM
But then again most thieves are brain dead and probably couldn't spell computer let alone reformat one. I despise thieves as well. lol

billygoat333
01-24-2009, 05:50 AM
yeah, the reason why you don't hear about smart thieves is because the smart ones dont get caught. lol.

grr.

oh well, cool software anyways. that would be cool if you could embed it on the bios or something, or have laptops with it preloaded into the motherboard. now that would be security.