PDA

View Full Version : Help. Cant view site from home.

Outlaw
01-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong location but it seemed the most fitting.
I don't think it's anything to do with the site as I am able to connect from work... eh? lol But when I am at home I cannot connect to the site. I can look it up through google and click the link. All I get is a "Page cannot be found" error. I can click cached but it just shows the links and I can't get anywhere with them.

I have tried
-typing in the address bar thebestcasescenario.com, www.thebestcasescenario.com with no success.
-pinging www.thebestcasescenario.com with no success
-couldn't find IP of site to try and ping/connect to
-Plugged PC directly into modem (have a WRT54G Router)
-Restarted the modem and PC
-Disabled Antivirus (just to try it)
-I am able to get to any other site I could think of except this one.
-Tried from IE and Firefox

Workstation hardware in sig. Running Win XP Pro on RoadRunner

Not sure what else I need to post.

Thanks for any help
Outlaw

SgtM
01-29-2009, 08:37 PM
You aren't the first to have issues. Have you tried using a proxy? Have a look through this thread - http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17355

Outlaw
01-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Sorry, didn't see that post and i used the wrong search words. Should I just repost on that one?

When it says "a proxy", I am thinking of Proxy server. Do I need to call my ISP now to get that or is there something I am missing? We do use one at work, but the internet here won't work without it.

nevermind1534
01-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Sorry, didn't see that post and i used the wrong search words. Should I just repost on that one?

When it says "a proxy", I am thinking of Proxy server. Do I need to call my ISP now to get that or is there something I am missing? We do use one at work, but the internet here won't work without it.

You won;t get a proxy server from your ISP. You can try toonel.net. It will work, as long as you have java. Just change the proxy settings in your browser to 127.0.0.1 port 8080, and it should work once toonel is up and running. It might not be as fast as some proxies, but it always works.

Outlaw
01-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Cool. Thanks. As long as it works. I can deal with it being a little slow... i hope. lol I will try this when I get home.

Thanks!

Outlaw
01-30-2009, 10:08 AM
OK, I don't know what I did wrong but it still didn't work. I used Toonel.net, and set my proxy on both IE and Firefox to 127.0.0.1 and port 8080. When I tried to even load google it would fail. Toonel was pointed at 127.0.0.1 and port 8080 for the local and 7999 for host port.

nevermind1534
01-30-2009, 07:12 PM
OK, I don't know what I did wrong but it still didn't work. I used Toonel.net, and set my proxy on both IE and Firefox to 127.0.0.1 and port 8080. When I tried to even load google it would fail. Toonel was pointed at 127.0.0.1 and port 8080 for the local and 7999 for host port.

Default settings. Toonel will work without any extra configuration. The problem must be with something on your computer. Did you try clearing your cookies? But that shouldn't cause the page to not load. And thank you for my third light green rep bar.

Outlaw
02-02-2009, 10:23 AM
lol, np! I will setup another pc and try it to see if its limited to the PC or something with my internet. btw, I have cleared out my cookies.

Thanks for the help.
Outlaw

Outlaw
02-03-2009, 11:11 AM
I tried from another pc at home and it also did not work. It just gave me "Page cannot be displayed". This pc was basically a fresh install of XP Pro

jdbnsn
02-04-2009, 06:49 PM
We have been wrestling with this problem for some time now, and still have no good explanation for the problem. We are still working with the server provider to isolate the problem and hopefully we will arrive at a solution at some point. My deepest apologies for the inconvenience.

Outlaw
02-05-2009, 02:28 PM
No problem and understandable. Just glad I'm not like the people in your modding section. lol I would have to try posting all my pics at work. Although, the bandwidth would be nice.

DaveW
02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I've made some small changes that may solve your issue. If you'd like to try again and let me know how you get on.

-Dave

Outlaw
02-11-2009, 05:06 PM
I will try tonight when I get home.

Thanks
Outlaw

DaveW
02-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Any news on this?

-Dave

Outlaw
02-12-2009, 04:49 PM
No go. Tried with and without Toonel. At the bottom of the page it doesn't even show it attempt to load, then comes up "Page cannot be found".

DaveW
02-12-2009, 09:27 PM
that sounds like you're getting a connection refused somewhere very close along the path (or something like that) and it's immediately returning a page not found.

Can you tell me what sort of network you have? Router, NAT, Firewall, etc. Everything you can send me would be extremely useful in identifying the source of this problem. Thanks for your patience and help bro.

-Dave

Outlaw
02-12-2009, 09:47 PM
NP. Thanks for trying to fix it.

Note- I'm still at work.. obviously.. so I will give you what I know off hand.

OS- XP Pro
AntiVirus- AVG 8
Windows Firewall- Enabled
Browser- FireFox and IE
Router- WRT54G (Firewall enabled)
ISP- RoadRunner

That's pretty much it. Don't really have anything fancy. I have tried the site without the router and it was the same issue.

Thanks again!

DaveW
02-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the information. You seem to know your stuff, so I'm gonna guess you've checked the firewall at the router and the OS level...so I'm not sure where that leaves me. We may be blacklisted by a server somewhere...to be honest, this is a tricky problem for me. I'm a systems guy, not a networking guy. The guy I share my office with might be able to get to the bottom of this, so I'll pass on the information on Monday, and we'll take a look at the routes and such.

Thanks again.

-Dave

nevermind1534
02-14-2009, 09:08 PM
There's somebody that I know who can't access. Here's his info:

ISP: Bright House Networks / Road Runner
Router: Netgear WGT624

He is in the Miami area.

DaveW
02-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Wait, so both guys use Roadrunner? Is this a pattern, or a coincidence? Does anyone else have trouble accessing the site? Please report in.

-Dave

OvRiDe
02-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Hey Outlaw, could you send me a traceroute from your PC to www.thebestcasescenario.com.

If your not sure how to do that...

open a command prompt and type "tracert www.thebestcasescenario.com" then just right click and select "Mark", highlight the tracert results and press enter. Then just paste it into a PM to me.

You may get a host unreachable if thats the case just let me know that.

Thanks for your help!

Outlaw
02-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I will try it tonight when I get home.

I did a fresh install of Windows Thurs night and tried with same result.

"Address not found" is what came up. If I remember correctly, when I try to ping www.thebestcasescenario.com it does resolve and show the IP but does not ping. I know this can be blocked, but I can't connect using the IP in the address bar either. My dad has RoadRunner also and I think were going over there this week. Otherwise I'll ask him to try it from home.

I don't think he would be on the same segment, but I don't know how RR has it all configured. I am just assuming since we are about 30min apart and in a different county.

**OvRiDe- PM Sent for tracert from work. It timed out after 4 hops.

Outlaw
02-17-2009, 09:56 AM
The tracert could not resolve target system name www.thebestcasescenario.com.

When I tried to ping, it came up "Ping request could not find host www.thebestcasescenario.com".

Link to screenshot- Screenshot (http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eg7fkl&s=5)

OvRiDe
02-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks Outlaw,

This makes me believe the issue maybe DNS related. Although I have checked our DNS settings multiple times, the address is obviously not resolving.

If you don't mind I have a couple of other things I would like to try from a non-working machine.

1. Try pinging and/or tracerouting the server by IP address (65.182.187.86)
2. Try pinging and/or tracerouting the server using thebestcasescenario.com (leaving off the www)

Just some basic troubleshooting that will give me a better understanding of what may be going on here.

Any help is much appreciated!

Curtis

Outlaw
02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
NP, Thanks for the help. I will try this when I get home. From what it seems, I am going to say it's probably nothing on your end. It doesn't seem to be that common of an issue. Or at least I didn't see it posted that much. (Maybe they cant get to the site to post the issue). lol

DaveW
02-17-2009, 05:17 PM
NP, Thanks for the help. I will try this when I get home. From what it seems, I am going to say it's probably nothing on your end. It doesn't seem to be that common of an issue. Or at least I didn't see it posted that much. (Maybe they cant get to the site to post the issue). lol

That's something we're worried about, and there have been a few complaints. Thanks for your patience man. Are you in the US?

-Dave

Outlaw
02-17-2009, 07:55 PM
NP, I can get my fix from work for now, lol. Yes, I am in the US. WI if that makes any difference

Have you had any of the people with issues talk to their ISP about this to see if for some reason the site is blocked? certain port or if the name comes up as flagged for some reason?

OvRiDe
02-17-2009, 11:23 PM
I believe Ecclecticos is having problems, and worked extensively with his ISP. Unfortunately they didn't get it resolved for him.

Outlaw
02-18-2009, 09:54 AM
That sucks.

Well here is the link (http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2nb4zz4&s=5) to the last request.

Pinging the IP or thebestcasescenario.com did not come up. "Timed Out" for IP, and "could not find host" for thebestcasescenario.com.

Tracert for thebestcasescenario.com came up "unable to resolve target system name thebestcasescenario.com" The IP WAS able to trace until step 12 where it got stuck on 65.182.160.51, then it was all timed out. I tried it again to see if it would maybe take a different path but it didn't and got stuck in the same place. I didn't include that in the picture either.

r0adawg
02-18-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm having the same problems at work... here is a copy of pings and tracert

hope it helps...

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 65.182.187.86

Pinging 65.182.187.86 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 65.182.187.86:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping thebestcasescenario.com

Pinging thebestcasescenario.com [65.182.187.86] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 65.182.187.86:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert thebestcasescenario.com

Tracing route to thebestcasescenario.com [65.182.187.86]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 46 ms 46 ms 45 ms eugn-dsl-gw06-198.eugn.qwest.net [67.42.192.198]
3 46 ms 46 ms 45 ms eugn-agw1.inet.qwest.net [67.42.192.173]
4 45 ms 45 ms 47 ms eug-core-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.150.57]
5 57 ms 57 ms 57 ms svl-core-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.205.210]
6 57 ms 57 ms 57 ms sjp-brdr-03.inet.qwest.net [67.14.34.6]
7 83 ms 58 ms 59 ms ge-11-1-1.mpr3.sjc7.us.above.net [64.125.13.217]
8 61 ms 60 ms 60 ms ge-4-0-0-0.mpr1.sjc2.us.above.net [64.125.27.90]
9 109 ms 108 ms 109 ms so-0-3-0.mpr1.ord2.us.above.net [64.125.26.138]
10 111 ms 110 ms 111 ms abovenet.pugmarks.net [64.124.164.37]
11 111 ms 112 ms 111 ms 65.182.160.51
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Outlaw
02-18-2009, 02:35 PM
I see a pattern! lol, stupid 65.182.160.51!! Let us in!

OvRiDe
02-19-2009, 02:52 AM
It appears that 65.182.160.51 is the last hop before it hits the server. I am hoping we are on to something here now.

Can anyone else using a proxy chime in here with at least one more traceroute to verify it from one more source?

Thanks for all your help .. it is much appreciated!

OvRiDe
02-19-2009, 03:56 AM
I got a hold of our provider and have given them the information you have provided. I found another traceroute been provided to me in PM, and I will give you 1 guess where it bombed out too. Yep you guessed 65.182.160.51! The tech I spoke with didn't have access to the server so he has forwarded it to the DataCenter techs. They have my email now and should provide me with any updates. Hopefully we will finally get this issue resolved.

Thanks again for all your help!

Outlaw
02-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Don't know if it matters but I tried it from my dads house also connected through RoadRunner (in a different county) and it also wouldn't connect.

Airbozo
02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
I got a hold of our provider and have given them the information you have provided. I found another traceroute been provided to me in PM, and I will give you 1 guess where it bombed out too. Yep you guessed 65.182.160.51! The tech I spoke with didn't have access to the server so he has forwarded it to the DataCenter techs. They have my email now and should provide me with any updates. Hopefully we will finally get this issue resolved.

Thanks again for all your help!

I'll check from work, but I am pretty sure my pings and trace routes stop at our provider (XO Communications). I have finally been able to get them to open a trouble ticket on this issue. XO tried from their internal servers and were not able to connect to either the host name or IP addy. I am going to bug them monday on the status of this ticket. We pay a hefty price for our work connection (the dual T1's for 2m upload) so they better be responsive.

Funny thing, about an hour after I got them to start investigating this issue, our service went out for about 2 hours... coincidence?

DaveW
02-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Ah, finally! Overide, you are the man. It's music to my...eyes...that we're finally getting somewhere with this problem.

I swear, I'm gonna get drunk and kick all kinds of **** out of that server.

-Dave

OvRiDe
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
I have not heard back from the hosting company yet. I went to their live chat portal but it seems to be down or offline. I will keep checking.

Crazy Buddhist
03-03-2009, 06:03 AM
We have been wrestling with this problem for some time now, and still have no good explanation for the problem. We are still working with the server provider to isolate the problem and hopefully we will arrive at a solution at some point. My deepest apologies for the inconvenience.

OK here is a suggestion. This is something I discovered at a website I was using.

My router was interpreting the traffic from that website as a denial of service attack and blocking it out. It was somewhere in the firewall rules of the router that this was occurring.

I do not remember the exact details but I had to telnet into the router and change some settings and everything was fine after that.

Sorry to be so vague.

Also if you are looking for a proxy try the Onion Project "TOR" - there is even a firefox download add on that allows you to turn TOR on and off at will from firefox so you have a choice of Proxy or proxy-less browsing at the click of button.

TOR is more than just a proxy - it's also an anonymity/privacy proxy service - properly configured it gives great anonymity for free.

http://www.torproject.org/

CrazyB

Crazy Buddhist
03-03-2009, 06:17 AM
I found another traceroute been provided to me in PM, and I will give you 1 guess where it bombed out too. Yep you guessed 65.182.160.51!

See entry 11 in the table below:

http://www.vipassanaforum.net/images/Trace.jpg

OvRiDe
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks CB, unfortunately I have no access to that router, it belongs to the data center. I have provided the information to them. So far I haven't heard ANYTHING back from them. Grrrrrrr

Crazy Buddhist
03-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Wasn't sure if you had the specifics it was a missing reverse DNS entry.

That traceroute was done at HTTP://WWW.DNSSTUFF.COM/

"Networking tool paradiso"

The other thing is ..... even though I got that missing DNS message my packet did arrive at destination?????

CB ;)

DaveW
03-23-2009, 06:03 PM
It's possible that this problem has been solved. Can anyone confirm?

-Dave

Outlaw
03-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I tried a couple days ago from home and no go. I will check again tonight though.

Outlaw
03-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Nope. Tried last night and still not working.

DaveW
03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Ah, that's it. Me and the boys are going to go down their with a 12-gauge. Gentlemen, rev your routers.

-Dave

SXRguyinMA
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
it was out a good chunk of this morning as well :up:

OvRiDe
03-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Sorry about that guys. It was pretty much out for all of us this time. The hosting company was notified and they rebooted the server. Everything seems to be back to normal but we will be monitoring the situation.

Oneslowz28
03-25-2009, 05:47 PM
This has been happening a lot lately. :(

jdbnsn
03-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm VERY sorry about all of the connection issues folks. This is obviously a high priority and we are working to see that all of these issues vanish for good. Please be patient, we'll get it fixed as soon as we can.

-Jon

OvRiDe
04-08-2009, 07:00 PM
I am still working with the hosting company on this issue. If anyone is having this issue they have requested the following information...

Please provide us following information so that we can look into the issue further.

- Internet IP address of the problematic network that we can ping from outside network and the server. We need to check the logs on server for these IP address.
- error message that users receive (screen shot of the browser window when user is facing problem will be helpful)
- output of command "telnet www.thebestcasescenario.com 80 " form the computer on which user is facing problem.

If any of you that are having to use proxies to connect to the site would be so kind as to pass this info to me, it would be much appreciated!

Crazy Buddhist
04-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Even though I get this same router giving a "missing reverse DNS entry" I NEVER have a problem linking to the site.

Is there some other variable here at work? Like is it only certain telco's/internet services which are failing to connect?

Matthew

Outlaw
04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
I am still working with the hosting company on this issue. If anyone is having this issue they have requested the following information...

Please provide us following information so that we can look into the issue further.

- Internet IP address of the problematic network that we can ping from outside network and the server. We need to check the logs on server for these IP address.
- error message that users receive (screen shot of the browser window when user is facing problem will be helpful)
- output of command "telnet www.thebestcasescenario.com 80 " form the computer on which user is facing problem.

If any of you that are having to use proxies to connect to the site would be so kind as to pass this info to me, it would be much appreciated!

I'll check or recheck this weekend and get you the results Monday when I can access the site again.

Outlaw
04-13-2009, 08:44 AM
IP- 98.144.40.140

Using telnet
Command Prompt:
C:\>telnet www.thebestcasescenario.com 80
Connecting To www.thebestcasescenario.com...Could not open connection to the hos
t, on port 80: Connect failed

Hyper-Terminal/TCPIP
Unable to connect to www.thebestcasescenario.com port 80

http://i41.tinypic.com/10mtuvq.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/nbslef.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/346vyns.jpg

Hope this is what you were looking for. I did forget to try IE though.

OvRiDe
04-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Thats perfect.. Thank you so much!

OvRiDe
04-14-2009, 02:17 AM
The hosting company has made some changes and have requested that any one affected, Please try to access the site, and let me know how it goes.

They are also investigating if it could be a DNS issue so they have requested the following.

To troubleshoot the DNS issue I will need a little more info. Could you please ask your customer to try the following commands via their command prompt:

nslookup
>set type=NS
>thebestcasescenario.com

and

nslookup thebestcasescenario.com

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Outlaw
04-14-2009, 07:28 PM
I will try this when I get home tonight.

Outlaw
04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Hope I did this one right. Also tried it from IE 7 and it took me to a page with "related" search links.

http://i39.tinypic.com/m8z4af.jpg

dfigravity
04-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Hey guys...I talked to SgtM and I'm having the same problem as some of you. It started about a month ago...I can't connect to or ping the website...I can get to the site form work, or anywhere else really...just not my home pc. Here is a trace route from my home PC to thebestcasescenario.com (I blanked out my IP addy.)

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c126/dfigravity/TBCSTraceRoute.jpg

Crazy Buddhist
04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
How many people is this affecting?

If it is just a few I would suggest you try a factory reset on your router as sometimes routers decide a website is spamming them. The other thing is to telnet into your router and check. I can't remember the exact details but I had this problem once with a router and one website. It turned out that the traffic from the site had been misinterpreted by the router and it was locking me out locally. This was after two weeks of working with the website to try and resolve the tech issue which looked very much like a router their end was blocking it.

CrazyB

jdbnsn
04-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Those are good thoughts, but this is affecting too many people and we've been desperately trying to get the hosting company to address it. It seems unreasonable to me that so many people are having the same issue with our site, and we have gotten fairly good indications that the problem lies in their DNS server. We are looking to find a more reliable foundation so individuals don't get this repeated problem.

Outlaw
04-23-2009, 07:12 PM
I have bypassed the router all together before and tried it. Still had the same issue. I had also tried it from our old house before we moved and my dads house. We have the same ISP but it was in 2 different cities about 20miles apart. His setup was just the modem to pc. Ours was modem to router to pc. Neither would work.

OvRiDe
04-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Is anyone having the problem NOT on Road Runner? So far it is looking like those affected are all on Road Runner. Please if you know of someone that cannot connect, have them contact me ASAP. Thanks guys.

Crazy Buddhist
04-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Is anyone having the problem NOT on Road Runner? So far it is looking like those affected are all on Road Runner. Please if you know of someone that cannot connect, have them contact me ASAP. Thanks guys.

This is good information.... this is what I was thinking about when I posted yesterday. People don't get randomly locked out. There is a common factor.

Outlaw
05-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Awesome news!

After seeing that the site was moved. I just tried and it is now working from home!

Thanks!

OvRiDe
05-07-2009, 01:11 AM
That is music to my ears friend! I am hoping that we can but that issue to bed!

Thanks again for all your patience! All of you that were affected.

SgtM
05-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Great news outlaw. I hope everyone else reports back with the same.

widefault
05-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Yep, hadn't been able to connect without a proxy since last October. Tried last night and got on with no issues.

SXRguyinMA
05-08-2009, 06:45 AM
after the move I'm no longer getting any subscribed thread email updates :think: