PDA

View Full Version : 680i LT Temps

The boy 4rm oz
01-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Due to the current heatwave we are having here in Australia I got thinking about my temps.

Until today I had a Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II chipset cooler on my DFI 680i LT motherboard cooling my Northbridge. Today I decided to change back to my stock DFI cooler. Yes this may sound crazy to you but for those who don't know, this is the stock DFI 680i LT Northbridge cooler:
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1676/d680lt17lm9kd5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
The cooler is so big that DFI package it in a seperate box to the motherboard and once installed is as tall as a graphics card.

I have been looking into the Northbridge temps for the 680i/LT chipset and have found that temps can range from 40c to 80c with a stock cooler.

According to EVEREST Ultimate (trial) my Northbridge temp stayed at 51c both idle and under load whilst using the Extreme Spirit cooler (both before and during heat wave lol). A thermal probe attached to the fins of the cooler reported temps of 36-38c idle and up to 44c load.

With the stock DFI cooler EVEREST reports 53c while a thermal probe attached to the base of the cooler (not the fins like the Tt cooler) reports a temp anywhere between 38-48c idle.

To me these temps seem ok regarding our current heat situation. I'm not doing any gaming and the temps rarely climb above those that I have stated.

I was just wondering what temps other people with the same chipset (if any) get. I have found that with stock cooler the 680i/LT chipset will sit around 60-65c and with an after market cooler any where between 45-55c. Considering the averages I think the stock DFI cooler performs fairly well even though it's made out of aluminium with a copper core compared to the Tt's all copper design.

Which cooler would you use? Keep in mind that the Tt cooler comes pre fitted with a 40mm fan and the DFI comes with mounting clips for a 60mm fan (which I intend to use). Also take into account that the thermal probe was installed on 2 different locations ( fins on the Tt and base on the stock cooler). Even though the stock cooler looks to be much hotter than the Tt, the probes reading is far closer to the actual temp.

I am leaning towards the DFI cooler. I believe that with the additional fan it should easily out perform the Tt Extreme Spirit II. I just want to hear what you think before I find another use for the Tt ;)

Spawn-Inc
01-31-2009, 05:49 PM
just looking at mine now its idle (web browsing thats all) at 35C with fan speed at 60% rig in sig

The boy 4rm oz
01-31-2009, 09:26 PM
Currently mine is ideling around 46 passively cooled but it does creap up to around 52c which is 1c hotter than my active cooled Tt cooler in much colder conditions. With a fan it should be much better than the Tt one, I am quite surprised actually lol. I am going to get myself a 60mm fan and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info Spawn.

Spawn-Inc
02-01-2009, 02:17 AM
yes, i found the number 1 loudest sound from my pc trying to figure out my north bridge temp as its listed on everest as MCP, which is actually the sound bridge. i should replace it with a bigger fan but its to much work, maybe the next time i clean my loop.

when i first got the motherboard the temps where in the 50's and that was AFTER i took out all the nasty gum they put in there.

i'm not sure why its so low, i guess my overclock is heating things up alot as right now i am stock.

The boy 4rm oz
02-01-2009, 05:58 AM
Yeah my temps have always been hi 40's low 50's with AS5 and an after market cooler. I just always thought it was due to the 680 chipset being a quite hot chipset, I guess I was right.

What gets me though is that the Tt cooler with a fan in cooler conditions performs as well as the DFI stock cooler with no fan in quite hot conditions, especially since the Tt cooler is all copper and the DFI isn't.

Props to DFI, it really is a very good cooler and it just squeezes in next to my RAM cooler and a water tube. I had to unscrew my CPU block to install it, it was a hasstle but new thermal grease dropped my CPU temps a few degrees lol.

Spawn-Inc
02-01-2009, 04:40 PM
lol, there ya go.

the 680i's are known for heat issues and tend not to overclock the best, though i have had no complaints about mine (overclock wise) as its gotten me 4.2GHz. i'm sure it can do more but i am not in a overclocking mood.

The boy 4rm oz
02-01-2009, 11:58 PM
I haven't tried to OC mine yet. I will once I get that 60mm fan and when it cools down a bit outside.

The boy 4rm oz
02-02-2009, 03:19 AM
I just added a CPU fan from an old P2 to the DFI heatsink and instantly the temps dropped a few degrees. This is a very bad fan lol, I can't wait to get the 60mm one.