PDA

View Full Version : 2nd harddrive causing performance hit

BuzzKillington
02-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Ever since I installed a 2nd hard drive in my laptop I've been getting random 2-3second audio loops/lockups when the slave decides it randomly wants to spin up (although I'm not 100% sure it's ONLY when it spins up).

Is there a way to keep the 2nd drive from spinning up for w/e stupid reason? It's basically just a data drive with music, USB apps, etc... I don't see any reason for it wanting to run while playing a game.

On the other hand, if it's not due to it spinning up, could this be a PSU issue?

Can anyone direct me to a free PSU and hard drive diagnostic tool?

haha49
02-04-2009, 04:20 AM
It coult be because the laptop is trying to load it as a raid as most laptops that can use 2 hardrives want to compine them but can you get in the bois.. and what laptop is it?

BuzzKillington
02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
That may be it but sheesh, wouldn't they at least require similar drives? Damn stupid computers :oP.

I'll check the bios but I feel it shouldn't default to raid.

I've also noticed it causes lag on streaming videos and while playing flash games. If it's not a simple fix via some random drivers or in the bios, the drives coming out :o( I really despise externals when they can be avoided. I have thumb drives for mobility dammit.

It's a Gateway 7805 FX

EDIT: I checked the BIOS and "SATA Mode' was set to "AHCI" where the other two options were "IDE" and "RAID." I thought maybe switching to IDE would help but would bluescreen while booting and restart.

Twigsoffury
04-26-2009, 11:56 PM
should check out if the page file is looking for a drive letter that isn't there.

I'd reset it altogether if you can to the primary drive.

slim down your open running processes and see if that helps.

Luke122
04-27-2009, 11:56 AM
It's a Gateway 7805 FX

There's your problem right there. :D

BuzzKillington
04-27-2009, 10:31 PM
I put the 250gig back in its external casing and threw in another 320 and striped it. No more lagging and it's fast as hell. :)