PDA

View Full Version : windows XP ?

grahamdvddvddvd
02-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Was looking to buy a second hand pc to make a video jukebox, lots of them on ebay, but want to make sure i get one with Windows XP, what do i have to look out for ?
Some say they have service pack 1, some say service pack 2 and some say service pack 3 ?
I need windows media player, do all come with that ? Lots of the sellers say they do not have the windows disc, but XP is loaded, is that a problem ?
I would want to clear the hard drive of all programs before i start, so would i need the disc, a?
some sellers say there is the windows key number on the cabinet, can I get a new disc with quoting the number ?
How does Windows XP work, is it for 1 machine only or 1 user? any tips on getting Windows XP etc

What the difference in Home edition ....pro edition etc ?

nevermind1534
02-02-2009, 08:20 PM
most people only need home edition. You can upgrade to SP3 if you download it from microsoft. You can only use the license on one computer. It is mainly schools and buisness that use pro. It has some more advanced networking features. If you want to wipe everything off of the computer you would need the CD, or, at the very least, a product key. I don't know if the key on the computer would work. If you're in the US or Canada, you can still buy xp from newegg. There's places in other countries that sell it, as well, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

VitzĄ^
02-03-2009, 06:01 AM
Personnally i would be wary of anyone who only has SP1 or SP2 on there, dont know about anyone else, but why wouldnt you add all the SP's to your system... could it be that the windows version is pirated and they dont want m'soft to lock their PC with a new SP/update?

How does Windows XP work, is it for 1 machine only or 1 user? any tips on getting Windows XP etcon this question...from what i understand, if it is a personal key then it is for one machine. The chances of it being a corporate key (which allows installing on multiple machines with one key) is very low, so if the key is "on the box" is it the same box as the hardware came in? and have they used the same Key on a new system and then stopped doing windows update on the old? I really would worry about not having my own copy of the XP CD, and at the very least get your own liscence key.

Most "normal" users i would guess wouldn't know how to turn off auto update i would reckon so there should be no reason not to have updated to the latest SP's anyway.

I would want to clear the hard drive of all programs before i start, so would i need the disc, a?Do you mean format the drive in full or just remove all of the software they have added? If you mean remove the software then you dont necessarily need the window CD, for a full format (windows re-install), you would.

Windows media player is (afaik) a free download from microsoft, as long as you have a genuine copy of windows.

some sellers say there is the windows key number on the cabinet, can I get a new disc with quoting the number ?That i dont know. could be worth a shot tho i guess.

haha49
02-04-2009, 04:45 AM
Personnally i would be wary of anyone who only has SP1 or SP2 on there, dont know about anyone else, but why wouldnt you add all the SP's to your system... could it be that the windows version is pirated and they dont want m'soft to lock their PC with a new SP/update?

on this question...from what i understand, if it is a personal key then it is for one machine. The chances of it being a corporate key (which allows installing on multiple machines with one key) is very low, so if the key is "on the box" is it the same box as the hardware came in? and have they used the same Key on a new system and then stopped doing windows update on the old? I really would worry about not having my own copy of the XP CD, and at the very least get your own liscence key.

Most "normal" users i would guess wouldn't know how to turn off auto update i would reckon so there should be no reason not to have updated to the latest SP's anyway.

Do you mean format the drive in full or just remove all of the software they have added? If you mean remove the software then you dont necessarily need the window CD, for a full format (windows re-install), you would.

Windows media player is (afaik) a free download from microsoft, as long as you have a genuine copy of windows.
That i dont know. could be worth a shot tho i guess.

I have a corprate key.. go me :banana: but ya not much diffrence between the sp just go with 3 and make sure they have the disks included

If you dont have the disks you have to pay for them for example if its HP then you pay hp for them if they can get the disks..

SgtM
02-04-2009, 05:24 AM

No, it's because SP3 sucks.