PDA

View Full Version : 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 died?

SXRguyinMA
02-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Ok, I shut down my computer this afternoon to install a new VGA card. I upgraded from an ATi x700 Pro to a Diamond ATi HD2600 Pro SB edition that I picked up off of cragslist for $50. So I shut it down, swap cards, reboot. System hangs @ mobo (press F2 for BIOS) screen. Hear random chirping from the drive. So I unplug it, system boots up fine (the 500 has all my movies, pictures and music on it). I lef tthe power cord hooked up but disconnected the SATA cable, system runs fine, and drive still chrips once every 20-30 seconds or so. Anyeone have any ideas? ANy idea how to save everything? :?

nevermind1534
02-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Get another drive to backup the stuff from it onto, then put the bad one in the freezer in a ziplock bag for a few hours. If it still won't work, try it for a few more hours. Or a new chip that goes on the bottom of the drive from another one might work.

SXRguyinMA
02-02-2009, 08:20 PM
I cant back anything up off it, the computer wont even boot with it plugged in :think:

nevermind1534
02-02-2009, 08:22 PM
If you get it working temporarily, the computer should boot with it plugged in.

SXRguyinMA
02-02-2009, 09:24 PM
it wouldnt be safe to freeze it without first getting everything off of it right? and stupid question that I probably know the answer to already....you shouldnt plug it in or unplug with while the computers on right?

SXRguyinMA
02-02-2009, 09:48 PM
alright, found my original order from Tiger for this from 8/22/07. seems its got a 60-month parts and labor warranty. but the warranty does not cover data recovery...grrr. wonder how much I'm going to get raped for that :think: I've got a case file in with Seagate now, I hope I can get everything off of it, LOTS of GBs of music, movies, pictures (including our wedding and vacation pictures, etc). I'll see what they have to say.

on another note...I think my next drive will be another WD. My WD400 thats got windows and all my programs installed on it works perfectly :up: and I'm seriously going to invest in a 160GB or so external drive that will be for backups only

FuzzyPlushroom
02-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Everybody has different luck with HDD manufacturers; yours seems to be the same as mine. I've had exactly one WD drive over 9 gigs fail on me (a 20GB that was thrashed in a hot case for three years) while I've had numerous Seagates go, including an 80GB that didn't even last six months with a fan blowing over it and a good PSU.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I swear by WD now.

crenn
02-03-2009, 02:42 AM
I've got 3 320GB drives, all working, 3 1TB drives all working (even though the firmware may fail). But they're all seagate. Will I buy WD? No.... at least not for me. We have 1x250GB, 3x500GB, 2x640GB, 1x1TB, all WD, all working.

Pretty much, WD and Seagates are the only brands I would trust.

haha49
02-04-2009, 01:36 AM
They have bad firmware theres updates for them because of it..

crenn
02-04-2009, 07:08 AM
They have bad firmware theres updates for them because of it..
I know, (they were updated this afternoon) but I didn't because I wanted to backup data, however I didn't do a backup and the data is fine.

SXRguyinMA
02-04-2009, 08:29 AM
well I cant update the firmware if BIOS wont read the drive right? I'm searching for a new logic board now with the same firmware....

SXRguyinMA
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
alright, found this place (http://www.datarecoveryne.com/index.html), and they're only about 45 mins from me...

its $249-$299 for my drive. If they can recover it then I'll just have to send it in for warranty. Maybe when I get the new one I'll sell this one and get a WD500 :D

I've been reading over at Dead HardDrive (http://www.deadharddrive.com/forums/index.php) and it seems its a logic board failure :(

crenn
02-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Why not a larger drive!

Spawn-Inc
02-07-2009, 07:38 PM
well thus far i've only used seagate drives (5 total, 4 in use right now and 1 sold)

i was a bit disappointed in the whole firmware thing but **** happens, get over it. i will still buy seagate.

SXRguyinMA
02-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Why not a larger drive!

the 500 was more than enough for me, plus coupled with my 400GB WD drive, more storage than I'll need

EspoNation
02-07-2009, 11:03 PM
sorry to hear about the massive loss of all your stuff. nevermind is on the right track with the freezer idea if the drive is hanging. but that seems strange that putting in a new vga card that your hd would suddenly have an issue. try putting your old vga back in, depending on the psu it might not have the power to run the new vga and hard drive. also check the bios there might be a boot order out of place. hope everything goes well:) keep us updated.

SXRguyinMA
02-08-2009, 09:35 AM
tried teh freezer, but its not a stuck spindle, so it did nothing. I can hear and feel the drive spin up, but it just wont read. I tried swapping cards back, no go. I've been reading up on the issue over at dead hard drive (http://www.deadharddrive.com) and it seems to be a logic board issue. I've found a guy on that site that can get me a new board with the correct firmware for $98 shipped. FAR less epexnsive than any data recovery service. When I get it I'll pull my data off, then swap the boards back and send it in for warranty