PDA

View Full Version : Internet access problems....

blueonblack
02-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Ok, I'm a Neanderthal. The only access options I have where I live are dialup or satellite. I've heard too many horror stories to try satellite for the cost, so I use PeoplePC, and have for many years. I stopped using their software to dial in several years ago because I hated it and found it too intrusive. I set up a manual network connection through Windows XP that dials into their local access numbers. This works great and always has.

Lately, I've been having problems, I keep getting this error out of the blue when I'm online:

'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'

When it happens I can't do anything online. It doesn't close the connection, but when I try to go anywhere or even refresh the page I was on, it acts like I'm not connected. But it still ties up my phone line? In fact, I can't even manually disconnect through the network icon in the system tray like I normally do. The only way I've found that I can get back online once this comes up is a complete reboot. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, but it's definitely happening more often than it used to.

This error message is completely foreign to me, and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this. Is it on my end, their end, or in between somewhere? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

-- blue

nevermind1534
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
System restore or a clean install of windows?

grizzlyironbear
02-05-2009, 06:45 AM
OK...i checked the MS website and it seems like your not alone in this. There has been enough problems that MS has actually made a patch for it! heres the link and i hope that it helps you out! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391

nevermind1534
02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
My parents' old computer would get that all the time. I think it told me to download that patch.

blueonblack
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Very helpful, Grizzly, thanks! +rep

I wonder if this is addressed in sp3? I have yet to install that...