PDA

View Full Version : Everything seems to be corrupt

Bopher
02-04-2009, 08:39 PM
So here's the deal. I just had to reinstall XP and now some programs are corrupt when I try to install. Spybot installed fine but when I tried WoW, Combat Arms, Open Office, and Anvira all have said that the install file are corrupt. Any suggestions out there. I'm running the system in my profile and my 500 gb drive is setup into 2 partitions, 10 gig for XP and the rest for prgrams and games.

BuzzKillington
02-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Drive going bad? Maybe you just had a bad install? I've reformatted plenty of times and had dead icons or something buggy. Once on XP it even missed those corny default pictures in your picture folder and it gave me some weird errors.

Luke122
02-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Try different ram. :)

Bopher
02-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Ran Memtest and came back with a bunch of errors. Pulled 1 of the 2 sticks and Memtest ran to 286% with no errors so I think that was probably the issue. Requested a RMA number from Kingston, thank you for lifetime warrenties. Just wait to see if I need to both sticks in because it was a dual pack when I got it, which would mean I'd be back to only my laptop till both sticks came back. Or if I can just send the defective stick in and keep my Desktop running on 1 GB for now. heres hoping I can do the one. Thanks for the suggestion about the RAM.

BuzzKillington
02-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Try different ram. :)

Nice call luke. +rep

Luke122
02-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Haha.. I had almost the exact same issue about a month ago. :)

Chewy_Solo
02-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Drive going bad? Maybe you just had a bad install? I've reformatted plenty of times and had dead icons or something buggy. Once on XP it even missed those corny default pictures in your picture folder and it gave me some weird errors.

If the ram wasnt the issue, it could have been a bad install. This happened to my friend on his Dell XPS. I had to reformat it for him. Everything worked like a charm.

Bopher
02-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Seems to be the RAM from what I can tell. Pulled out the bad one and I can get things to install now without errors everywhere. Got the info back from Kingston and they ask that I send both sticks in so they can send a full pair out so when I get those out I'll be down a computer for a bit. At least I still have the laptop.

Luke122
02-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Try swapping the sticks also.. it could be the slot on the mobo.. but I hope its not!

Bopher
02-07-2009, 02:20 AM
I might have to try that thanks

nevermind1534
02-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Try swapping the sticks also.. it could be the slot on the mobo.. but I hope its not!

Or too low of a voltage (up it in the bios), but I doubt that that would be the case, since it's kingston RAM.

Luke122
02-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Or too low of a voltage (up it in the bios), but I doubt that that would be the case, since it's kingston RAM.

That's a good point.. restoring the BIOS to factory defaults would answer that quickly enough, but if there were no changes to voltages in there before this happened, then i'd doubt that's what caused the problem. Definitely worth checking though! :D

nevermind1534
02-07-2009, 09:47 PM
That's a good point.. restoring the BIOS to factory defaults would answer that quickly enough, but if there were no changes to voltages in there before this happened, then i'd doubt that's what caused the problem. Definitely worth checking though! :D

gaming memory requires voltages higher than the default 1.8V

Bopher
02-07-2009, 10:00 PM
These are just ValueRAM sticks so nothing special and nothing was changed in the BIOS from when it was first put together. The system hasn't even been over clocked. Still got to see if they work better in another slot or if its still the RAM.

nevermind1534
02-07-2009, 10:03 PM
These are just ValueRAM sticks so nothing special and nothing was changed in the BIOS from when it was first put together. The system hasn't even been over clocked. Still got to see if they work better in another slot or if its still the RAM.

Yeah, I said in an earlier post "probably not, because they're kingston"

Bopher
02-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I was surprised when it started acting up on me. I've never had a problem with Kingston RAM and I've been building my own systems for 10+ years.