PDA

View Full Version : Installed new card...having issues now

SXRguyinMA
02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Ok, I picked up this card (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17664) the other day to replace my old X700. Now I'm getting random resolution changes and VPU crashes :think:

Like htis morning before work, I was playing with sketchup, and both of my monitors suddenly went blank, and one said "cannot display this resolution". I couldnt do anything, so I had to restart my computer. Other times, the screens go black, then reappear, then a box pops up and says the VPU crashed and be recovered. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, no go. Any ideas?

nevermind1534
02-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Overheating? try raising the fan speed and see if the fan is spinning. The problems that you're having might be part of the reason why that person sold the card.

SXRguyinMA
02-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I wws thinking that...he said he was upgrading to a faster card and was selling this one.

on my old X700 I would hear the fan speed up from time to time, but not with this card at all. how would I go about changing the fan speed?

nevermind1534
02-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm guessing that it would be something in the ATI cataylist software, but I don't own any modern ATI cards, so I wouldn't be familiar with it.

SXRguyinMA
02-06-2009, 05:03 PM
I'll have to check tonight, thanks for the info!

Outlaw
02-06-2009, 06:29 PM
What about just reseating the card? I had weird errors with my 8800GTS. I know its a little heavier then yours but if it somehow isn't making a good contact, you would get weird errors and issues. Mine would lock up my computer while loading a game, start audio repeats, and the screen would just go blank. Cleaned the dust off it and reseated. Haven't had an issue since.

SXRguyinMA
02-06-2009, 11:41 PM
I'll have to try that tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion!

SXRguyinMA
02-11-2009, 03:20 PM
I finally got around to unplugging and reinstalling the card today at lunch, so far so good. I also downloaded the newest catalyst software, released 1/29/09. I'll uninstall the old and install this one after work

SXRguyinMA
02-11-2009, 08:26 PM
alright, I uninstalled the old CCC software and isntalled the updated one. Still having issues. It'll randomly change resolution (I'm assuming) because both of my screens will go blank and the dell screen says "optimum resolution is 1280x1024 @ 60Hz) which is what both monitors are set at :think:

Outlaw
02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Are the monitors the same (same specs). How is each one connected? DVI, VGA..etc when does it do the "optimum resolution..."? Are you in a game, app, or just idle? What does it do with just 1 monitor hooked up?

SXRguyinMA
02-12-2009, 05:06 PM
the card is dual DVI, both monitors are 17" and VGA, I'm using a pair of DVI to VGA adaptors, and both monitors go out at the same time. I'm usually just surfing the net when it happens. Havent tried gaming yet. I also havent tried just 1 monitor either, good call. It did reset and I had the VPU recovery window pop up, I had just turned the computer on and it was sitting idle, I came back into the room and the recovery window was open :think:

Outlaw
02-12-2009, 06:12 PM
You said you installed the driver, does that mean the whole driver suite or just the driver?

If it was the suite, I would try the driver alone and see if that helps any.

Link to Driver site for HD2600(PCIe) XP 32bit (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp)

Link to Driver site for HD2600(PCIe) Vista 32bit (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista32/common-vista32)

Luke122
02-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Have you got a screensaver enabled? Some of the accelerated ones change resolution.. maybe a visualization for a music player trying to go fullscreen?

SXRguyinMA
02-13-2009, 08:42 AM
this morning I booted the computer on, was waiting for everything ot load, then my screens went blacnk and said no signal. I rebooted, everythings ok so far :thinkk:

I did do the entire suite, let me try just the driver and see what happens

Outlaw
02-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Did your previous card ever do this?

Maybe a bad graphics card? Just a thought, but I hope not.

SXRguyinMA
02-13-2009, 10:08 AM
no my X700 Pro never did this, ever. pop this in and it starts. Another thing I noticed is that I get random flickers in the screen, like a line or two. Not constant, but occasional. A line here, a line there. probably just the card. I'm going to put my old one back in and contact ATi