PDA

View Full Version : Need Inspiration!

Tableleg
12-20-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm kinda new at this hardcore modding. My system I have now just has the basic window and lights and junk with some sleeving on wires. Checking out the Doom3 and the Biohazard cases make me feel like my computer is just average... =)

So I would like to venture out and make something as cool as those. My problem that I've run into since finding this site and wanting to do something has been inspiration. Tools and materials are not a problem for me, I'm just lacking in a design.

So my question is, where do you guys find your ideas and inspirations?

Rankenphile
12-20-2005, 05:17 PM
I find inspiration from others ideas, and from my interests. I've got a huge project in the mid-planning stages based on Warhammer40k, a tabletop combat game I play with friends. Others seem to base their mods on either aesthetic styles that they enjoy or on their personal interests and hobbies, such as gaming, music, sports, cars, um... sports cars... heh, you get the idea.

If you have a general idea of what kind of computer you want to build, look around at your interests - what do you do, or wish you did, or find enjoyment in? Art? Gaming? Music? Construction? Table Tennis? Your astounding collection of My Little Pony?

The best art reflects a message or an aspect of an individual. What would YOU enjoy?

OvRiDe
12-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Your astounding collection of My Little Pony?

DOH.. I didn't think anybody knew about that!!! :redface:

ROFL

Tableleg
12-20-2005, 06:06 PM
LOL... yea, I wasn't going to say anything about my collection of Barbies... *sigh*

All I seem to play now-adays seems to be COD2. I was thinking of just walking around all the multiplayer maps to see if there could be something I could replicate. Like the radio when playing Headquarters was the first thing to come to mind. Maybe something bigger like a specific building or something.

Thanks for the words though, it's got me thinking!

crazybillybob
12-20-2005, 06:17 PM
You could always make a crate.:eek:

Bust out the old DVD collection (or Divx) and watch some of your favorite movies or shows. PC's don't have to be Square, they can be R2 shaped, or spheres. Scifi shows allways haver sweet futureistic PC's recreate one of them. Or get one of the old 50's B movies and build one of the "super computers" they show, there's tons of style in those things, switches, knobs, lights, LEDs flashing, EEERy glow behind the panels, ETC. The best Idea's come to me when I'm not thinking about them, when I'm haveing fun and enjoying life!

Good luck, and Happy Modding!

Crazybillybob

Rankenphile
12-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Yup.

I remember when I saw Saving Private Ryan for the first time in the theater, and at the time I was big into building terrain models for Warhammer40k. During the entire movie, instead of watching the story, I was watching the scenery, leaning over to my roommate and saying "Dude, I could totally build that! Look at that bombed out church... the way the burned up timbers are sticking out... I could DO that!"

God I'm a geek. LOL!

Needless to say, I watched the movie again and paid a lot more attention to the story, but I still remember the terrain and the models int he movie more than anything else. hahaha

Xato
12-20-2005, 09:24 PM
I think i've yet to see a well done bunker design. You might wanna have a stab at that one.

FX
12-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Xato took my idea....try looking at doing a bunker (opening is where CD would go in and out) backlit by LEDs, it overlooks the beach (as a cliff would) and you could hide intakes for fans there, or if you watercool, you wouldn't have to worry. The beach could be like the DOOM3 mod with resin water and a landing craft perhaps...maybe even do up a cordless mouse as a landing craft.

Another concept, is to build up and around your parts like CrimsonSky did with Matrix Regenerator, but use a bombed out building instead. You could work in model tanks, and LEDs to simulate them firing their machine guns, or fires in barrels where soldiers would keep warm, and they'd flicker as the HD or CD were being used. I'm sure you could get real creative with that idea.

Tableleg
12-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Those are some really cool ideas Scarab, though I don't think the bunker is for me Xato. Maybe if I had a picture or some concept art to work with, I could work off of that, but as for coming up with a design myself, that well still isn't wet.

I've never thought of using the HDD or CD lights lighting effects though, some great ideas!

I'm kinda stuck in the water until after Christmas though. Stupid holidays... lol

Malatory
12-22-2005, 04:36 PM
I think a desktop case turned into a Pill box would be cool.

Might have to see if I can come up with some pics of one for ya.

public_eyesore
12-22-2005, 05:17 PM
i think of pokemon and then move on from there

Tableleg
12-25-2005, 02:43 PM
LOL... Pokemon+pills= possible interesting combination

AceX
12-25-2005, 10:41 PM
I just think of things that I would like to have in my computer. I want a clean and simple box, but one that people think is cool, but not over the top. I do things like hiding the wires as best I can, making sure that none of the screws are stripped, I use only one color of lighting, I use black wire loom for what wires are visible, just trying to keep it as clean as possible. So far I'm doing alright. Right after I finish my other system (being held up by a dead board :/ ) I'm going to attack my current case, going all out with a Chevy theme. Should be fun to try, just to see if I like the more intesive modding.

I have much the smae problem as you do with ym inspriations at times. What you have to do is think about the end result. Think, "I want to build something that is going to make people go 'wow'"

BoSoxNation88
01-25-2006, 06:30 PM
You could make a sports themed case withyour favorite team or something. By the way Pokeman is stupid:D