PDA

View Full Version : PC Wont Boot

The boy 4rm oz
02-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Everything was working fine. I was playing an online game with a few mates and all of a sudden everything froze. This has happened before and it has always burned down to Vista raping my game. I reset my PC and nothing, just blank screens and the sound of my fans. I try again and still nothing my PC is entirely dead:mad:.

At first I thought it was my HDD but it is spinning and works in my brother PC. I have a feeling that it is either my motherboard or GPU. I am thinking more so my motherboard because nothing is showing up on the POST display on the board, the weird thing is though that the fans and W/C pump attached to the board are all working so I dunno, I'm stumped. All the problems I have had before could all be fixed thanks to the POST display on the motherboard. I have reset the CMOS and still nothing, I have checked the mobo battery and my PC is still dead.

I am yet to start removing RAM sticks and the GPU because I need to empty my water loop and install stock coolers before I can do this.

What do you guys think, any ideas?

The boy 4rm oz
02-11-2009, 08:56 AM
I left it with the power off (at the wall) for a while and when I switched it back on it still didn't work but the POST screen did say "80"

According to Phoenix Technologies (they make the DFI BIOS), hte code "80" means "Boot Attempt - Set low stack. Boot via INT 19h.", I have no idea what that means lol.

Also, with the PC running as it is for a while my temp senses record no increase in temps on CPU, GPU or Northbridge, the HDD increases cos it is spinning. Is this generall mobo behaviour? Are my CPU and GPU dead too or may there be a problem wit my PSU? As I understand it for the temps not to be increasing there has to be no power going through the components, the component hasn't been activated by the system/switched on or they are dead.

The boy 4rm oz
02-11-2009, 11:32 PM
It's not my RAM. I tried each stick in my PC and nothing happens. I individually tried each of them in my brother PC and they work, all 4 of them. Even with no RAM in it my PC still acts the same.

I still haven't had a chance to drain the loop and test everything, that should be fun considering that I need to destroy half my PC. If my mobo really is busted I'm gonna consider i7.

crenn
02-11-2009, 11:52 PM
How much can you afford on an i7 system?

It's possibly just a motherboard fault

The boy 4rm oz
02-11-2009, 11:57 PM
I have $3,000 put away but that's going towards a holiday. If I can get a good deal I may consider i7 but will probably end up replacing the motherboard (if it is the problem). If my GPU is shot I will probably upgrade to the 4850/4870 if my PSU can take it.

crenn
02-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Do a bit more testing (testing CPU and GPU in other computers). But you can pick up an i7 CPU (920), 12GB of DDR3 and a good motherboard for around $1500

02-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems, had the same thing happen to my 680i, just sent it back for rma

FuzzyPlushroom
02-12-2009, 07:34 PM
If it ain't working yet, tried another PSU? It sounds like the board, but that's the hardest to troubleshoot.

Luke122
02-12-2009, 08:19 PM
My first thought was power supply.. it could be the 5v output is toast, which would mean the board/fans/pump is still getting the 12v needed to spin up fans etc.

PSU is definitely the cheaper one to replace. :)

The boy 4rm oz
02-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

@crenn - Yeah I looked into it a bit but after asessing my finances it will be on hold until atleast mid next year.

I am still in the process of stripping down my water loop and cleaning it out (my CPU block had corroded after 2 months of use :(). Once I get my stock cooler back on my graphics card I can start the thorough testing of the components. Looks like I have to pull appart my brother computer to test though cos my 8800GTX doesn't fit in his case lol.

I am still pretty sure it's the motherboard but the PSU is still a strong possability and yes would be the cheapest thing to replace.

The boy 4rm oz
02-16-2009, 04:51 AM
I finally got my entire PC pulled appart, cleaned everything and put the stock cooler back on my 8800GTX. In the morning I will start to test my components.

If my PSU is the faulty component I can get a replacement (exact same) for $121AUD, that's pretty good considering I spent $220AUD when it first came out lol.

The boy 4rm oz
02-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Well I tested everything today and it appears that it is the motherboard that is dead, a new PSU doesn't make a difference. I tried new RAM, CPU and GPUs and nothing makes a difference. Looks like I have to pack it up for RMA.

The boy 4rm oz
03-25-2009, 11:43 PM
I got an email from DFI yesterday saying that my NB had been damaged due to poor installation or removal of the cooler. I just said whatever and said I'd pay the $100AUD to fix it. I will hopefully have my mobo back in a fortnight.

BuzzKillington
03-27-2009, 10:33 PM
http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21997

? lol

The boy 4rm oz
03-28-2009, 01:52 AM
That is cool but my mobo has those diagnostic LEDs built in and they wouldn't light up.

The boy 4rm oz
04-20-2009, 05:17 AM
I just got an email from the people I brought the board from, this is what they have to say:
Hi Jason

I got a reply from DFI:

1. The motherbaord can't repair at all, becasue they can't order this chip from nvidia any more, but they provide another option for a new board LP UT ICF3200-T2R/G, the price is the same, $100.00, please advice ?

2. Warranty for LP UT ICF3200-T2R/G is based on invoice of the 680i m/b, which will be expired end of July 2009.

Regards, Tony Fu

As you can probably tell I um unbelievably PISSED OFF ABOUT THIS !!!! First they tell me I break the board and it will cost me $100 to fix, then they tell me the board has been fixed and shipped and now they tell me that the board can't be fixed due to Nvidia not having any of the chipsets left and the final nail in the coffin is that for the repair price they want to give me an inferior product with a warranty that only extends to July 2009. That's it, I'm not dealing with DFI ever again.

I don't want to get a new board cos I don't want to format my drive, I have quite a lot of data on there which I haven't been able to back up properly, even when the drive is inserted into another machine. To make matters worse I can't find any 680i motherboards for sale in Australia.

This really pisses me off.

BuzzKillington
04-21-2009, 07:45 AM
start calling every DFI/nvidia number you can find and bitch and moan until your call gets escalated to someone worth talking to. Keep a list of the numbers you called, who you talked to and the time/date/call length of each call.

When you finally do get ahold of someone worth your time, they will most likely give you a crazy deal if not just give you a free board.

That is an absolute ****ty situation though man. I feel for ya.

There's always eBay (http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZDFIQ20LANPartyQ20UTQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_ mdoZ). I know there are a few members including myself willing to purchase a board and ship it to you from the states if you couldn't find an affordable board in the UK/supplier willing to ship there.

The boy 4rm oz
04-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Yeah I checked out Ebay, only thing they sell remotely close to the board is the rear I/O cover and the BIOS chip.

When I wrote that last post I was really really angry lol, I didn't think things out logically. I have had time to reflect over the situation and have seriously considered my options.

I have started a new thread about my actual motherboard situation, take a look:
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18583
And the same thread on Bit-Tech, have got some good feedback:
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=167033

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.