PDA

View Full Version : Flashy lights O_o

Xato
12-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Ok, so, you know when you first turn a flourescent tube roof light on, how it does that flicker thing? And how in horror movies and scary games, the lights are always doing it? Not constantly flicker in a beat, but randomly, and actually stay on for a second or two occasionaly.

Well what i need is to be able to make a CCFL do that. I dont know whether there are any light controllers which are able to do this out there, or whether i would be able to craft such a thing. All i've been able to find is a Sound reactive controller which (while cool) wont do what i need.

Any ideas?

wingman358
12-21-2005, 05:53 PM
You could always hook it up to your HDD LED for some cool flickering. It might be too short of pulses, but hey it's worth a try, right?

Xato
12-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Hmm, perhaps. I'll try and make a circuit board to test it out soon, but only if i dont come across something better.
Any other ideas?

Xato
12-22-2005, 07:20 AM
I may have found what i'm looking for! ^_^

http://members.shaw.ca/novotill/FireLightFlicker/index.htm

I'm not to good at building circuits though, especially not ones that complicated. So i might have to get someone to help me out with that =P
Oh, and can anyone tell me how i can step down a 12v molex to 9v easily.
(electronics noob - have to start somewhere though)

crenn
12-22-2005, 11:12 AM
YEah, use a resistor and a zenifer diode.

Rankenphile
12-22-2005, 01:09 PM
lol, that guy's circuit diagram is awesome. Looks like it was drawn on a napkin.

Xato
12-22-2005, 11:55 PM
haha, the bottom one was i think, and it uses AC powerpoint as the power source! =O

Tableleg
12-27-2005, 01:46 PM
I could build it for you no problem but it might take a while. I like to simulate my circuits first in EWB before I build them but won't have access to that until after New Years. Give me a little while and I'll see what I can do.