PDA

View Full Version : Portable Apps?

TheGreatSatan
02-12-2009, 03:58 PM
This guy I know just came in with a flash drive with portable programs on it. Basically, you put the flash drive in any PC and run the programs off the drive. He had Office 2007 and Nero. Some of the games he said he got from USBGaming.com

nevermind1534
02-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Portable apps or U3?

TheGreatSatan
02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Apps.

nevermind1534
02-12-2009, 08:37 PM
I got Age of Empires II working with portable apps. I found a "portable copy" on the internet (I own multiple physical copies of the game). I get to play 8 player LAN games in my programming class now. When it's in the portable apps directory, I just have to click on "Age of Empires II Expansion" in the portable apps menu.

Luke122
02-12-2009, 09:08 PM
http://www.u3.com/smart/default.aspx

Here's a quick explanation of USB drives that support portable apps. I'm going to be getting my hands on one to play with next week.. i'm going to see if I can park some flavor of linux on there, and use it as a "virtual machine" that can be run from the drive. :)

nevermind1534
02-12-2009, 09:09 PM

Here's a quick explanation of USB drives that support portable apps. I'm going to be getting my hands on one to play with next week.. i'm going to see if I can park some flavor of linux on there, and use it as a "virtual machine" that can be run from the drive. :)

That's U3. Any flash drive can run portable apps, as long as it has a few megabytes of free space.

Luke122
02-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Ah ok, well that's extra cool then. :) Since I already have regular flash drives..

h3moglobe0
02-12-2009, 10:02 PM

Just want to let you know. There were few problems caused by U3 stright under Linux, mainly due to hardware+driver side I think. Like not bein able to mount that U3 part or format that either ( can't recall what pendrives were those, tho). Ubuntu distro ofc. Didn't found or heard any troubles under other ones tho.

By virtual machine I understand you want to boot linux distro while running Windows? If so I am intrested in it too. VMware from U3 might be intresting. Need to look up for it. :banana:

For booting from stick I won't mention Slax or any other ;).

PS. Counter-Strike at Uni is tempting :santa:

Durrthock
02-24-2009, 12:50 AM
I got a ton of them from my teacher the other day, firefox, thunderbird, gimp , photoshop. Ect. If you think of a good way to file transfer them ill send them to you.

Nvm forgot there small files, I could probably email them.

Durrthock
02-24-2009, 12:56 AM
USBGaming.ORG

Datech
02-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Heh, one time a naive co-op employee plugged a U3 drive into the Exchange server here, and it promptly crashed. From then on we haven't let a single co-op or intern anywhere near the physical servers.

I have a 4GB Patriot XT and I have that thing LOADED with about 3GB of various portable diagnostic and cleaning software. It is really nice to have when you are sitting at a computer with dial up internet and a Pentium III proc that is receiving Antivirus 2009 popups...

TheGreatSatan
02-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Be careful! Antivirus 2009 likes to jump on flash drives and infect the next computer you use it on

P.S. Malwarebytes is absolutely essential for this bug!

Datech
06-11-2009, 10:19 AM
So you're saying that when the USB drive is plugged into the computer and you restart it, it fails to boot?

If so, that's a semi-common problem with USB drives and USB devices in general. Some computers wont boot if anything more than a USB keyboard and mouse are plugged in. There is an explanation behind it, but I don't know it and just go by the general rule of, "If you don't need it on boot, don't have it plugged in."

x88x
06-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I'd recommend against U3, but portableapps.com has a great menu/etc, and is nice and easy to add your own stuff into their menu.

Luke122
06-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Ceedo looks promising too..