PDA

View Full Version : A few ideas. Feel free to try 'em!

Synack
12-21-2005, 06:45 PM
I was just thinking of a PC that has an LCD screen that mimics Star Trek tricorders or the ships computer. Possibly even go as far as voice commands within windows or linux.

Since I've found this site I'm just teeming with ideas! I don't really have the cash to follow through with some of them, but I may try something this coming sprint/summer ('06). Right now I just don't have the time due to the holidays.

Another project that I had thought of is creating a computer to make it look like an Asgard computer (from StarGate SG-1). They tend to use wierd rock looking "mice" which I'm sure a wireless mouse could easily be modded to look like. Heck I'd go as far as to mod a mouse pad just for it.

Yet another would be utilizing a monitor casing to house the components of a pc plus LCD monitor hardware. I've seen this done though. Although the one I saw was done fairly sloppy and had a ton of hot glue everywhere. Good idea though...to some extent. I could see heat being an issue.

I've got a Antec 160 case that I got from Newegg. Expensive I know, but eventually I do plan to cut it up for a mod. Just need to buy a dremel first ;)

btw: Its good to be part of this community. I'm new ;)

Xato
12-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Welcome! And some nice ideas, i like the Stargate one especially =P

Synack
12-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks! I found this site completely by accident whilist bore..erm...I mean on my break at work. After seeing what the one fellow did with his old compaq case I will most likely use a bunch of older cases (including a compaq case like the one mentioned) for testing then my $$ Antec will go under the saw. I have the Antec 160, which is a hot case imo. I wasn't able to get a window on mine at the time because Newegg was out of those. But I did get "free" shipping on a case and PSU at the time! Which for a case is a sweet deal.

I haven't quiet found my niche subject area in which I really want to mod my case into. I do have an old government issue brief case (circa 1950s or 1960s) That I may try to create a mobile PC with. I'm just not sure if it is large enough.

After reading through one of those modding books up at B & N I'm seriously thinking of doing a Car PC. Seeing as that is a little more roboust than a head unit in the way of music space. My speakers still need to upgraded as well, but that is for another time. My main saving point atm is for a home theater system. ;) Alas, I'm getting off topic. So that is that. :)