PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for computer audio?

haha49
02-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Me I'm using a hometheater system put 1000 into it.. and that's on staff it would of cost me 3000 retail.. I went from the logitech e5300 or e6300 they weren't bad but what a diffrence once doint this I'll never go back then agian I wall mounted the 7.1 audio system

Sony str-dg800
Energy c100 center
Energy c100 times 3 pairs (wall mounted)
Polk audo 10 inch sub (was 399.. got it for 90 with tax inculded:banana:)

Now it just pounds like crazy if I want it to left 4 dead with it is fun...

FuzzyPlushroom
02-13-2009, 06:56 PM
I'll bite.

Realtek ALC882 onboard, connected to an Altec Lansing 2.0 set (ACS21W) and a 2.1 Harman/Kardon setup with one dead speaker (I just use it for its "subwoofer")

Gonna hook up a Zenith turntable/cassette deck with a couple GE speakers of no particular merit once I get/make a couple cables.

Earbuds go through the ALs and are Skullcandy "Ink'd" (what's with ridiculous names for earbuds?); they're decent for what they are. I've got a set of Sony MDR-V150 'phones that I'd use if the plastic earpiece-holding clip thing hadn't broken; gotta re-re-glue that.

xRyokenx
02-13-2009, 09:12 PM
I've got an ASUS XONAR DX PCIe card and a Logitech 2.1 setup (can't remember the name). It works for what I use it for (music and occasional game).

blueonblack
02-13-2009, 11:09 PM
I use onboard 8-channel audio, but it's only run through 2 speakers, JBL Pro desktop speakers that came with a Compaq computer made sometime in the Paleolithic era. I have a good set of Panasonic headphones when needed. Both of them sound excellent to me, but I'm technically "hearing impaired", so spending money on better equipment would be a waste.

Luke122
02-13-2009, 11:42 PM
I am currently using an M-Audio USB Mobile Pre to feed a Sonic Impact Super T-Amp, which is pushing a pair of Merril Zigmahornets.

On Tuesday I am receiving an X-FI Music pci card, which has a much better SNR than the M-Audio does. I'll post results once I get it.

I made the speaker cables and inter connects from cat5 cable and high quality jacks. (3% silver solder too)

For music, all my cds are ripped to lossless quality, and played back through Foobar2000.

xRyokenx
02-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the quality of audio for music I use. Preferably .flac but I also settle for 320kbps on my mp3 player. I have a COWON D2 4GB with a 16GB SDHC card and a nice pair of Skullcandy earphones. Talk about some amazing schtuff for a reasonable price right there. That mp3 player has such awesome settings and an interface that actually makes sense, lol. I just wish I knew how to make a playlist that didn't require me to go to each song and add it lol. ><

mtekk
02-14-2009, 01:54 PM
X-Fi Titanium Pro (the native PCI-E version) + Creative Inspire T5400 5.1 speaker setup. I couldn't stand the 2+2 channel audio that my motherboard has, so I bought the second discrete audio card that I've ever owned (for a desktop that is, I have one of those X-Fi things for laptops so that I can have optical out on it).

Glad I waited for Creative to sort out some of their Vista X-Fi problems, not a single issue with their Win7 beta drivers. The X-Fi is definitely better than the onboard 6 channel sound I had before (which I used in favor of my Live! card as it was only 4 channel sound).

I'm too lazy to make up my own playlists anymore so music wise, it's Shoutcast internet radio on Foobar2000. Otherwise everything else I ripped and conforms to the Uberstandard for MP3 VBR.

crenn
02-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I have onboard, and that's what I'll use until I can afford a new computer, then I'll get some PCI-E X-Fi (not made by creative).

02-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I have a creative X-Fi Extreme Audio soundcard with my 5.1 Logitech G15 speakers, the bass is Amazing, when everbodies sleeping i use my sennheiser Pmx 60 headphones

TheMainMan
02-15-2009, 04:24 AM
As I'm at school right now, I'm using the SupremeFX card that came with my mobo to feed audio to a Sony MHC-GX45 mini system (with sub unattached due to living in res). It sounds clear and can go decently loud but doesn't compare to the optical connection used with the home theater when I'm at home (home theater is currently in use with the Xbox 360 in the living room). The home theater is a mixed assortment of components (mostly used) with a RCA RT2390 reciever driving the 5 channels and outputting to a Pioneer VSX-454 to drive the passive sub. The Pioneer allows me to have a dedicated volume for the sub so that my own mother won't evict me.:lick:

chaksq
02-15-2009, 11:36 AM
I am using the onboard Realtek HD audio from my motherboard. And I have Logitec X-540 5.1 surround speakers hooked up to it.

Unfortunately there are some major differences between the XP and Vista drivers for the onboard sound, so when I switched to Vista I lost a lot of features.

Spawn-Inc
02-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Z5500x2 (once i get a second control pod) with a Razer Barracuda AC-1 and HP-1

nevermind1534
02-15-2009, 06:23 PM
I am using the onboard Realtek HD audio from my motherboard. And I have Logitec X-540 5.1 surround speakers hooked up to it.

Unfortunately there are some major differences between the XP and Vista drivers for the onboard sound, so when I switched to Vista I lost a lot of features.

Exactly the same case for me. Same setup, same loss of features.

The boy 4rm oz
02-24-2009, 07:09 AM
I Used to use my DFI 8 Channel Karajan audio module powering a 2.0 Altec Lansing system, sounded pretty good. When I got my new home theater (check "My System") I went from analog audio to a Digital Coaxial connection. The digital Coaxial ports on my mobo don't work so I got an Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 Cinema sound card and damn that sounds fine, 10 time better audio through my headphones.

I was actually gonna write a review on it but when my mobo died all my pics and pre written parts of the review got trapped lol, when I get the mobo back in about a month I will post it up.

HackSore
03-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Im running a Tascam us-1641 usb soundcard into my kenwood 5.1 hifi with sub.
Im not sure of the specs on the kenwood hifi system or sub, as the hifi was a hand-me-down, and the sub was a freecycle job, and i cant seem to find much info on either of them on the net.
Sounds beautiful though, and it can really rattle the windows when its cranked up!

NightrainSrt4
03-06-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm using the UAC3553B USB DAC to Philips Fw-C577 with an extra pair of satellites. No point in a great grand sound card when I'm running through USB. The UAC3553 through USB sounds better to me than through the stereo out Realtek.

I was using an M-Audio FastTrack, and was thinking of going back to that, but I'm probably going to use that for the HTPC instead of the integrated.

bartvandenberg
03-06-2009, 11:05 PM
x540 5.1 speakers on my X-fi Xtreme audio. Plenty enough for the occasional game. If i want more volume for music, i jsut run it through my sony bravia 1000 watt surround sound attached to my TV.

But thats enough to make my old windows rattle, and thats just as annoying as the young punks with system in their cars so loud, all you hear is trunk rattle. Plus, my 4 month old doesnt like loud music yet.

The boy 4rm oz
03-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Plus, my 4 month old doesnt like loud music yet.

Oh but they will, just you wait ;) lol.

Outlaw
03-11-2009, 01:19 PM
onboard digital audio and Creative 2.1 for normal use
Plantronics headset w/mic
Yamaha 7.1 reciever with RCA R, C, L, RM, LM, and Bose rear channels.

progbuddy
03-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I just run Realtek ALC888 8-channel, although I'm running it on a Philips 2.1 setup. I just crank up the sample rate to 192 KHz at 24 bits. Sounds nice.

Omega
03-14-2009, 11:33 AM
mobo onboard (forget the mobo on this rig, soz) and Logitech z5300-e's.

I would spend more money on it but these speakers work fine and I'd rather put the money into making my car better. :bunny:

LiTHiUM0XiD3
03-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Sound blaster live! 5.1.. with a logitech headset...

eslfish
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Realtek HD Audio...

reedcook19
04-13-2009, 04:15 AM
I'm looking for a program to manage all the audio files I have on my computer. I am looking for something that not only catalogs what's there, but allows me to move, delete, rename, manage tags, etc. If it has other functions like playing, burning, online, or whatever, that's OK as long as the file management part of the program is strong and the other functions don't get in the way. I am happy using other apps for those other functions, so those other functions are not a requirement.

For instance, Winamp seems to catalog OK, but I can't manage the files like I'd like. Musicmatch has been taken over by Yahoo and is now called Yahoo Music Jukebox. Trouble is, I can't install it because it says I need XP SP2 (yes, I do have XP SP2, but the program doesn't recognize it for some reason, grrr).

So what do you all use and any suggestions would be appreciated!

xRyokenx
04-13-2009, 04:59 AM
I recommend Mozilla Songbird... it's a relatively decent media player. I've been using it lately and really like it. There are plenty skins and addons (including one that downloads the lyrics for you) as well.

Zeroignite
04-18-2009, 02:06 PM
I use Plantronics .audio 770 headphones, and the USB soundcard-on-a-stick that came with them. The build quality is not good at all, C+, would not buy again.

The Black Pumpkin
04-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Onboard Realtek HD for me. Although if I go with another board I'm thinking of, I'd need to use an external usb soundcard.

blue73
06-19-2009, 12:09 PM
I use, X-Fi to a Marantz SR5300 avr, Mordaunt Short MS900s- front 3, Celestion MP1- back 3 and an IPL Acoustics SWII subwoofer. More than enough to upset the neighbours!!

apbrit2009
06-27-2009, 05:56 PM
some crappy realtech laptop sound, and old 2.1 cyber acoustics speakers
ughhhhhh...

Airbozo
06-27-2009, 06:25 PM
On my gaming system I use the built in audio (Asus Striker Extreme 5.1 audio) with 5.1 headphones. Only slightly better than stereo headphones with EAX... Would have to check at home for the brand. I know they don't make them anymore.

On my Workstation where I do some minor audio editing I use a Soundblaster Audigy Extreme (a gift, not my first choice) out to my Yamaha DMP8-16 Digital Mixer (controllable with any Midi Device as well as a MIDI GUI app on windows). I pipe this through a Rane MA6 into a set of Alesis Point 7's. Digital audio out to a set of Genelec's (they also sound good with analog).

On the media center PC, I use the onboard sound (good enough for movies) digital out to my Onkyo 5.1 surround system. My house is small enough that even with that lower end Onkyo, I can really disturb all the neighbors.

Durrthock
06-29-2009, 11:14 AM
X-fi and logitech Z-5500's

Indybird
06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I am running a Razer Barracuda AC-1 sound card hooked up to my Yamaha HTR-5550 Reciever.

The center and surround speakers are all unmodified Z-5500 speakers. (69W per channel)

The Subwoofer is a custom build (which I have been meaning to post my worklog for) consisting of the original Z-5500 subwoofer cabinet (with the port stuffed), a 250W RMS (1000W Peak) Infinity Reference series Subwoofer and a Dayton Audio 240W RMS amplifier.

Because the sub is such a higher wattage I have to turn its gain down about 2/3rds so that it doesn't over power the satellites.

-Indybird

gaz_the_chav
07-07-2009, 12:07 PM
You can check mine out with specs @ Equipment Page (http://www.ptwnparties.info/equipment.php)

Spanks the ass off most lol...

-gaz

Scotty
07-07-2009, 03:22 PM
X-Fi Titanium

apbrit2009
08-20-2009, 01:00 PM
my friend got a better sound card/speakers, so he gave me his xonar, logitech x-240's and cyber acoustics 2.0's, so now i have a cool 6.2 ch setup with the x-240's as the main sub/center, the 2.0's as the front r/l, and my old 2.1's as the back r/l and secondary sub

Kayin
08-20-2009, 04:16 PM
ALC889 and Plantronics 355 headset. Fine for me, and I can't hear my wife anymore.

eslfish
08-29-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm just using on-board that came with my ASUS PQ5 mobo.

jonelee
12-15-2009, 02:54 AM
I am looking for a program to manage all the audio files I have on my computer. I am looking for something that not only catalogs what's there, but allows me to move, delete, rename, manage tags, etc. If it has other functions like playing, burning, online, or whatever, thats OK as long as the file management part of the program is strong and the other functions don't get in the way. I am happy using other apps for those other functions, so those other functions are not a requirement.
So what do you all use and any suggestions would be appreciated!

billygoat333
12-15-2009, 03:42 AM
I believe pretty much all the major media players do all that, iTunes and windows media do for sure.

d_stilgar
12-15-2009, 04:36 AM
I have an X-Fi card that feeds into a Cooler Master Musketeer III. From there it goes to my homebuilt sub and a Sonic Impact T-Amp powering my homemade speakers. I'll get more sophisticated someday and build a plasma arc tweeter and a BOOM couch, but I like what I have for now.

The boy 4rm oz
12-16-2009, 07:34 PM
I sooooo want a boom couch. My mate's dad built one a few years back. A 4 seater leather couch with 3 1000w 12" subs in the base. Makes console gaming and movie watching sooooooooo much better lol.

Luke122
12-16-2009, 07:44 PM
I have an X-Fi card that feeds into a Cooler Master Musketeer III. From there it goes to my homebuilt sub and a Sonic Impact T-Amp powering my homemade speakers. I'll get more sophisticated someday and build a plasma arc tweeter and a BOOM couch, but I like what I have for now.

I had to read about the plasma arc tweeter after you mentioned it. Seems like a crazy good idea, except for the need for a constant supply of gas (helium) and the ozone byproduct (which can become toxic in large doses).

Also, boom couch is a wicked idea. :D

Airbozo
12-16-2009, 07:46 PM
I sooooo want a boom couch. My mate's dad built one a few years back. A 4 seater leather couch with 3 1000w 12" subs in the base. Makes console gaming and movie watching sooooooooo much better lol.

(not for the downstairs neighbor)

In a couple of years I can see the following warning message on the Boom Couch:

Warning: Use of this product in an apartment building or condo may cause un-necessary visits by the local law enforcement agency. Continued use may cause deafness due to cuffing by downstairs neighbors and violent bodily harm. Do not use this product in areas prone to mud slides or avalanches. Basement bois may see an increase of neighborhood girls dropping by for a sit on the couch during extended sessions of Modern Warfare 2.

The boy 4rm oz
12-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Lucky for my friend, his family is loaded. They have a sound proof AV room :(, bastard :D.

d_stilgar
12-16-2009, 08:02 PM
I had to read about the plasma arc tweeter after you mentioned it. Seems like a crazy good idea, except for the need for a constant supply of gas (helium) and the ozone byproduct (which can become toxic in large doses).

Also, boom couch is a wicked idea. :D

I have designs for the boom couch. Three 10" subs, one closed box, one ported, one bandpass. Two bass shakers, and one transducer. The cost would be about $700 to build, so I'll have to start saving my pennies now.

Also, the plasma tweeters don't need a supply of helium, just electricity, but they do produce ozone, so they should be vented to keep the levels from getting too high.

Here are some videos. There is more or less no distortion because there is no moving diaphragm.

rasp88nbsRw

cEeWtBAE5LY

YyVTvtgm11o

billygoat333
08-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Die Zombie Thread!!

EDIT: NO CAPS ALLOWED ON THIS BOARD??? LOL

EDIT EDIT: OK SO THEY ARE ALLOWED WHEN EDITING? THAT MAKES ME LOOK STUPID. WHY AM I STILL YELLING?

Collinstheclown
09-01-2011, 12:11 AM
THEY ARE ALLOWED WHEN YOU HAVE AT LEAST ONE LOWERCASE LETTER!!

a

billygoat333
09-01-2011, 12:13 AM
ahh. gotcha. lol

supdudefrog
09-23-2011, 06:10 PM
ASUS xonar essence st, for my audio card, Logitech Z5500's for speakers, and sterling te-400's for my headphones.