PDA

View Full Version : Real Cool Idea

DrHomieDe
12-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Okay, well, I am new to these forums, my first post :) Well, my current PC Specs are

HP Media Center PC
Intel Pentium D 830 3.0 Ghz
1GB Ram DDR2 3200
Ati Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition
And some Asus Motherboard.

What I wanna do~
Get this PC Case w/ 7 Fans- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811156018
Asus Intel Motherboard SLI - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131564
Two 6800 GT's 256mb from BFG - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143029
And BFG 600WATT PSU

Okay, well, first, I will extend the case from the latitude, meaning adding 5 inches in the middle, to add a 5inch Car plasma dvd player. And then hook it up so then its like a second moniter. Drill a hole on top of the case for an extra fan. Overclock the CPU to 4.2 Ghz or 2.1 Ghz per core. Design the PC Case for it sponser Battle Field 2. I need somone to give me a program to overclock either the core or the FSB of the CPU, i've tried to many times on the BIOS but the damn HP blocked it.

Why I am doing this -
I am a very addicted computer, and I have just bought this computer, buts its a basic boring type of PC, it could take allot, but not enough. So I am risking $1200+ for this. Will post pictures soon.

Tableleg
12-27-2005, 02:12 PM
First impressions are it'll be a nice rig. Your OC problem should be solved with the new mobo unless HP tattoo'ed the processor too (which I've never heard of).

The only flags I'd throw up would be those 7 fans. That's going to be louder than a freight train! And with that hot processor and your plans to OC'in it, those might not be enough. I'd think about watercooling; If you've got $1.2k to blow on components, I'd try to find a few hundred more to get a cooling system to keep everything at reasonable temps without all the noise pollution!

public_eyesore
12-27-2005, 02:43 PM
i dont think you need to upgrade your stuff. Going from the video card you have now would be pointless. Just wait like 1 month for the new g80 gpus to come out for like 600 dollars. And overclocking is pointless unless its the gpu. Just get the new mobo, new video card, and more ram.

edit: are you sure you have 3200 ddr2? i dont think that exists

Sh0ck
12-27-2005, 07:10 PM
I believe I have 3200 ddr2. :D Which is in my HP media center also, but older model with only pci slots, not pci-ex or agp. :mad:

public_eyesore
12-27-2005, 09:24 PM
your right im stupid, i went to newegg and sure enough there is ddr 400, i thought it started at 533 for ddr2

DrHomieDe
12-30-2005, 11:52 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Okay, well I have the components. thing is, I am thinking of adding another 4 inches lattitude to put in about another 7 fans around the whole pc case. Water cooling uh..... Not a good idea. I have heard about the new 7800 GTX 512mb. Might go for 2x of those. And a new processor. You are right. OC'ing does nothing. So I am going for the Intel Pentium D 840 3.2 Ghz Extreme. Yes I am crazy about Intel. I have done my math, and they turn out to be better. My business just gave me a raise :) Well. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't need the extra 7-8 fans around the whole case. So I will just stick with the stock 7 80mms. And now I even have more ideas.
I wanna design this thing to sponser Battle Field 2, so I was thinking, I would put little toy soilders around the case, point it to every corner, and paint it to look real soilders from the game, like rocket launcher on the back, and the rifle on front. About the sound noise, I am thinking of using one of the body kits from Alienware, adds 1/2 cm of external metal and the slightest touch of rubber inside. Which would lower the noise allot. Thank you for visiting, please all of you post your ideas/comments/suggestions here so I know what to do :)

Aero
12-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Ok, I'm going to go out here and say to keep that GPU. Don't waste money upgrading to somthing thats almost going to give the same power. If anything go for a better processor. I have one almost the same it its a bit slow, maybe some more RAM. But deffinatly think about water cooling, it will help keep any OCing stable.

Tableleg
12-31-2005, 09:35 PM
Stability won't be a problem if he's just going to get a new processor and not try to OC it. 7 80mm's though?!? Because you seem dead set with aircooling this monster, I'd try to mod the case so that it'd take a few 120mm instead. You're going to get the same air flow with like a 1/4 of the noise if you do this.