PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite PC Company?

TheGreatSatan
02-24-2009, 09:51 PM
If you were to buy retail who would you choose? I've always liked HP

billygoat333
02-25-2009, 09:36 AM
depends on desktop or laptop. I have a HP desktop that is bulletproof, and a HP laptop that crapped out after a year of use. I have had a lot of success with the Acer/Gateway camp, so thats who I voted for :)

Bopher
02-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Dell, I've had my second hand laptop for years and no issues except for the CDROM not working right on me some of the time, and my wife had her desktop, which we had bought 2 at the time, for years before the out fan finally died on her letting the system overheat.

FuzzyPlushroom
02-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Until about 2002, I'd've said Gateway. Now... well, no.

I'd hesitate to buy a low-end HP desktop or just about any Compaq, still, given my past experiences with them, but the better models seem to be good, and their laptops are usually unstoppable.

As for Dell, as long as you make sure the model you get follows commonly-accepted standards before you buy, you'll be fine. My Dell laptop, additionally, is unstoppable. Given that the only post-2002 major-brand PCs in the house are from Dell, and both of them are fine (though the half-Dell, half-beige-box chimaera is decidedly mediocre) I voted for them.

blueonblack
02-26-2009, 03:46 AM
I voted Dell/Alienware, if only because I've wanted a top-of-the-line Alienware laptop since I discovered them. :)

TheGreatSatan
02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Not I.

Luke122
02-26-2009, 04:39 PM
I see I'm the only one who voted for the marketing machine. Oh well... I have to say that despite their limitations/price/opinionated owners/ridiculous attack ads/etcetc, if I was to buy another prebuilt, it would be an Apple.

SKDgarbage
02-27-2009, 11:57 PM
My vote is for HP just because of their laptops. I own two of them at this point. They were the only ones that didn't look like crap and had the parts I wanted. But now that OCZ makes DIY laptop kits, my next laptop is going to be from them :banana:

TheGreatSatan
02-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I know when you open them, a computer is a computer, but I just can't ever trust a Dell. I don't even understand why.

SKDgarbage
02-28-2009, 10:17 PM
I've got a few friends at bestbuy. You know the display ad software they have on the floor models? When they install that stuff the dells always blue screen. Fun fact.

FuzzyPlushroom
02-28-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure that's actually a bad thing... ;)

eslfish
03-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Dell for me. Even though I have a custom built PC. I have always liked Dell.

Luke122
03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm STILL the only vote for Apple!

Axis Machine
03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
I would have to go with eMachine or gateway both computers severed me very well. Although I bought my eMachine in early 2000 before it was sold to gateway and I bought my gateway in 2006 befor it was sold to Acer:D

simon275
03-26-2009, 01:44 AM
For laptops Lenovo as they are supper solid builds. If I was forced to buy a desktop I would get a dell.

xRyokenx
03-26-2009, 02:58 PM
I think I might vote for Apple. I really like this Samsung laptop but overall I don't really like any of the brands listed. I've had crap with HPs, Dells, Toshibas, Acers, etc. For desktops I'd build them myself, laptops, well, I have my Samsung which seems fairly reliable. It seems as though you have by machine to machine specs and whatnot to judge how well something will run. Everyone has a bad egg every so often, others more often than some.

Luke122
03-26-2009, 03:17 PM
I have now worked on a dozen HP DV9000's, 2 DV6000's, and a few other various HP desktops and laptops. I will never buy an HP.

I would also never buy an Acer/Emachine/Gateway.. I've fixed far too many of them also.

I've only ever had my hands on ONE Lenovo thinkpad, and it was pretty solid. After a ram upgrade it was plenty useable, so that one will get consideration.. but I dont like their design much. (re: Fugly)

Asus laptops would probably be the way I go if I get a new laptop (we sell them here.. super solid, good pricing, and we have a great relationship with the regional Asus guy apparently.. he was just in the store today!)

Sony.. well, they *HAD* a good reputation, but now.. I hesitate.

WTF is Medion?

I still might buy a Dell (the XPS M1730...mmmm....$$$$$$$ though)..

toco123
03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
In all honesty... none of them match a custom home computer... but for support, i suppose dell are ok

TheGreatSatan
03-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah right. The college nearby has a $250,000 computer contract with Dell. Now, you'd think for that kind of money you would get your own rep right? No. They have to call the same 1-800 number as anyone else for tech support and wait and wait....

Drum Thumper
03-26-2009, 11:13 PM
I'd buy a custom built computer from a local shop faster than I'd buy the massed produced crap.

Yes, this is coming from the guy who has an Acer laptop.

spaztiK
03-27-2009, 01:16 AM
I would vote for Asus if it was on the list, but seeing as it isn't im not going to vote at all. Half of those brands i have never even heard of.

TheGreatSatan
03-29-2009, 12:41 AM
I have an IBM lappy and one by Gateway and an Asus netbook. I would never want a custom lappy

TheMainMan
03-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I voted Apple based on the fact that the only prebuilt computer I would get would be a laptop and Apple's got their laptops figured out. I only know one person who has had a problem with his which was a small trackpad glitch and every other person I know who has one has loved it. I go to a school where Apple is popular with students and dominates the labs in the Faculty of Computer Science so it would be an easy switch for me.

Drum Thumper
03-31-2009, 01:22 AM
I would vote for Asus if it was on the list, but seeing as it isn't im not going to vote at all. Half of those brands i have never even heard of.

Been living under a rock?

Jiggler
04-05-2009, 04:54 AM
dell / AW

apbrit2009
07-09-2009, 01:55 AM
i voted for acer/gateway/emachine because my school has a load of gateway's from '02, and they still run pretty well
in contrast, the longest i've seen a dell run is 3 years, then they give out

Will
07-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Why isn't Packard Bell on the list? :D

I have 3 Compaqs and 2 HPs right now. All of them are old but they all still work and I think all of the parts are original. The speeds vary from 75 to 500MHz. I'm pretty satisfied with that company. I gave my 7-year-old HP lappy to my dad recently and it's still going. I can't comment on the newer stuff though.

We use Dell rackmount servers for the most part and they impress me as far as the construction. But the proprietary parts inside suck because of the high replacement cost sometimes. I'd rather butcher the back of the machine to make a standard PS fit than pay double for the Dell part.