PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Wiring?

AceX
12-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had tried the idea of hidden or stealth wiring yet. I know that there are certain wires that are impossible to hide from view, but has anyone taken the time to hide all the CD-ROM power wires, extra length from IDE cables, Fan wiring, power switch wiring and the like? I ran a search and found nothing along the lines of thwta I was thinking, maybe you guys can help me out.

Thanks.

richmandudeus
12-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Lots of people try to hide the wires behind the mobo or in one or two of the drive bays. One thing i did learn is take out or disconnect any power molexes you aren't using and shortening cables isn't necessarily a good thing because you have less to work with when you wanna tuck it somewhere.

wingman358
12-24-2005, 01:21 AM
Yeaaah check it out:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6776/computer0044ii.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=computer0044ii.jpg)

AceX
12-24-2005, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I learned about the cable lengths when I built a buddy's system a few months back.

It was a Cooler Master Centurion or Sentry case (I don't remeber which). I tucked away alot of the excess wiring into the two drive bays that weren't being used, but its no secret that its all there. I'm look to hide almost all of the wiring in my next project, which will be the restoration/revision of the case that I am currently using. It's nothing special right now, infact, quite bland. I just need to get my other system up and running so I can play MP3's and surf the WWW for info and ideas.

I just spent about an hour reading up on the "HP Res 3 Mega" project that is stickied in the worlogs area, and I was looking to do something more along those lines (not go crazy with acrylic I mean, but hide and organize the wires).

AceX
12-24-2005, 01:27 AM
Yeaaah check it out:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6776/computer0044ii.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=computer0044ii.jpg)

Wow, is that thing yours? That's really nice work! That's almost EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

OvRiDe
12-24-2005, 01:57 AM
Yeaaah check it out:

Dude.. you should hook everything up before you take pictures.. No body wants to see an empty case and a motherboard.. :p

KIDDING!! Nice job.. very clean!!!

general
12-24-2005, 04:51 AM
http://img200.exs.cx/img200/5527/picture0036li.jpg

Xato
12-24-2005, 06:44 AM
Sexy sexy stuff =P my cables are a mess atm... will be fixed in my next mod though.

AceX
12-24-2005, 12:27 PM
That looks really good. How did you organize and run the wiring?

wingman358
12-24-2005, 03:52 PM
DANG, general. That's some nice cable management.

thephreak99
12-24-2005, 04:41 PM
NICE general! Didn't know they've inventet wireless PSU's? ;)

Myrdhyn
12-28-2005, 01:01 PM
I think that's about the best wire management I have EVER seen

Tableleg
12-28-2005, 08:34 PM
I've never thought of mounting HDD's backwards! Great ideas!

chris_kalan
01-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I will be painting the inside of my case black, and paint the IDE cables and molexs black to sorta camouflage them. Actually, my next mod will be a camo-war theme, so I might do a similar thing for the inside (green and brown camo paint).

Marcthelegend
01-23-2006, 07:26 AM
General, care to share some tips with that, my computer wiring looks HIDEOUS!! and im looking to get something like that going.

Current setup (to be modded soon): http://members.westnet.com.au/martimfrank/pc_inside.JPG

enirqueeeee
02-04-2006, 02:10 PM
perhaps if you dare and wontupgrade your pc/take it apart you can solder the wires on the pcb boards

make a hole in the left of the cdrom and put the ide cabels true there and solder them to the board

on the motherboard you can do it on the bottom no one will see it ;)

with the power cabels you can do the same but if you do it wrong your toast

DaveW
02-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Damn nice. I'm doing this sort of stuff in my current mod as well, but there's a lot more wiring involved. I'm tring to run as uch wiring as possible into the case itself, and i've modded the PSU as well so that the cables are fitted exactly to the case's sizes. Nice work-i'm guessing that the mobo power cable's been modded to make it fit like that?

It's a good idea putting the drive in backwards there, something i should have thought off myself. Thanks for the idea.

-Dave

DimitrifromGreece
02-09-2006, 06:31 PM
nice ones guys...but all this naked metal doenst seem so good to me...i mean, getting nice neon cables and UV painted molex's would be cooler...i ahve all the cables running through my case, and with some orange kight with uv, they look awesome...besides, everybody thinks u are cool for being able to know where "al those cables" go to...think about it..its not really an answer to what u wrote, i know.....sry mate....have fun...keep up the good work

AceX
02-09-2006, 09:19 PM
I'd have to disagree with your statements Dimi. If you can route your wiring like that, it shows a level of craftsmanship and care in your work. Now I'm not saying the exposed wires are bad, I have them in all of my mods, but choosing the right amount and the right kinds of wiring to expose is the hard part. Very few people can nail that one on the head...

unknownconcepts
02-11-2006, 02:57 AM
i gotta try that!

DaveW
02-11-2006, 03:08 PM
I gotta say that the day your case has bare metal, then it's not the day you're finished modding.

-Dave

Pinhead-227
02-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Wow. :eek: Flipping the hard drives around is ingenioous! :D "Why didn't I think of that?" So simple yet this is the first time I've seen it. The HDD power wires are the only ones showing in my case, and I couldn't find anywhere to tuck them. That'll finish my case out!

SaWBLaDe
02-13-2006, 02:18 AM
hey guys recently i decided to do a rough tidy up of my wiring and i stuck most of my wires behind the mobo tray but due to contrictions of the case i was unable to do some things like turn my hdd around etc. but never the less here it is
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/8527/after127uy.jpg

DaveW
02-13-2006, 07:36 AM
That looks pretty good.

I'm a perfectionist though, so i'd see if i could get that yellow rear fan cable behind the motherboard. But it looks great, nice work. :)

-Dave

SaWBLaDe
02-13-2006, 08:12 AM
thx dave, also i am planning on getting some extensions (if they exist) for those fan cables becuase i know were i can hide it i jsut didnt have enough cable length. also keep in mind i didnt drill/cut or make any holes of any type the case is completely unaltered.

DaveW
02-13-2006, 08:17 AM
You could extend the cable yourself, just a simple cut, strip, splice in a wee bit of extra cable job.

Yes, it's half assed, but all my wiring is half assed. Except when it actually matters :)

You could hide the messy extended part. Wire strippers aren't expensive, and i'm sure you could find stuff lying around to extend it with. Go for it!

-Dave

SaWBLaDe
02-13-2006, 09:27 AM
actually now i feel stupid for not thinking of that lol. as for wire strippers no worries i have a massive "electronics" tub full of tools for electron things or similar. like terminals, crimpers, soldering iron, heat shrink, solder, wire cutters, wire strippers etc i could go on forevor lol. nayway thx for the idea dave ill do that tommorrow if i can manage to get some time in.

Sugarfiend
03-02-2006, 07:05 AM
I'd have to disagree with your statements Dimi. If you can route your wiring like that, it shows a level of craftsmanship and care in your work. Now I'm not saying the exposed wires are bad, I have them in all of my mods, but choosing the right amount and the right kinds of wiring to expose is the hard part. Very few people can nail that one on the head...

Dude some of the things people do in the name of cable management borders along the lines of neuroses, I plan to do quite a bit cable management in my latest project. All in the name of cooling and air flow. Though what General and Wingman have done is extreme. I assume thats the reason you guys have done, what you did at least in some part. Could either of you guys sorta put a tutorial together on how to go about hiding cables like that.

-- Logan

tecguy
03-04-2006, 05:42 AM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had tried the idea of hidden or stealth wiring yet. I know that there are certain wires that are impossible to hide from view, but has anyone taken the time to hide all the CD-ROM power wires, extra length from IDE cables, Fan wiring, power switch wiring and the like? I ran a search and found nothing along the lines of thwta I was thinking, maybe you guys can help me out.

Thanks.

Well theres a way to stealth you hold computer so it looks like its just a box!!!

Omega
03-04-2006, 05:52 PM
i gotta see if i have a cutoff wheel, cause i can actually tuck the wires behind my mobo tray thing.

backwards HDD's eh? not a bad idea, but that would just make my HDD's stick out so far that it hits my GPU =[