PDA

View Full Version : Dead DVD drive?

luciusad2004
02-27-2009, 02:32 AM
Hey guys. I've recently noticed something strange w/ my disk drive. It's been doing it for a while but i never quite put the pieces together. I rebuilt my system and went to throw in a Linux install disk and my DVD drive spins up and then just slows down after a few seconds and doesn't do anything. I have it set as the master drive on its on IDE channel and its all hooked up right.

Now that i think about it I think i can see the pieces of the puzzle that i didn't notice before. I burned an install disk to install windows 7 but when i tried to fire it up, it did the same thing. I assumed the burn was bad and just installed via flash drive. After i got windows installed, I tried to watch a DVD movie w/ it and it did also did the same thing.

Do i probably have a dead drive on my hands?

EDIT: the problem seems to be isolated to DVDs, I just booted off of a CDR just fine

nevermind1534
02-27-2009, 04:15 AM
It might be starting to get a little weak. This has happened to some of my drives.

billygoat333
02-27-2009, 08:36 AM
sounds like the classic ps2 problem is happening to your drive, where it will read cd formats but not dvd (or vice versa for the ps2, i've seen both). pretty much the drive is shot unless you feel adventurous and want to swap out the laser. (which seems like it would be much more trouble than buying a ~$20-$30 new drive.

Luke122
02-27-2009, 01:40 PM
google "dvd refocus" :)

luciusad2004
02-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys, At the price of a DVD drive ill look in to just purchasing a new one. Maybe on payday, since i need a power supply to, il just order both.

I googled dvd refocus but just got a lot of hits related to BMX.

Thanks guys.