PDA

View Full Version : Dell Dimension 4600 ?

LaBeL
12-25-2005, 12:52 AM
ok i have the dell dimension 4600 and theres many people who disagree and agree with this...

ive always wondered truly if my computer is compatible with ATX hardware.... the reason i ask this is cause i want to get a new case but i dont know if my computer is compatible...

thx for everyone who puts some time to help me, thank you

Sh0ck
12-25-2005, 03:04 AM
So your trying to figure out if your motherboard will fit in a new case? Well I looked for info of what the motherboard is and turned out to be a microATX (9.60 inches by 8.20 inches)... so need a case that can use that type, sites or places that sell cases should tell you if you can use it for the type of case you want. If its a store not online, just tell them its a microATX.

OvRiDe
12-25-2005, 03:36 AM
The only other thing to watch out for is most of the new Dells don't use standard hole patterns on their motherboards. In fact most of them have feet on them that slide into slots and lock down (ie. they are toolless). The GX60 motherboards we use at work, have an edge connector on the end like its a big card that could also be used on some sort of backplane or blade server. Its probabaly nothing you couldnt adapt or fabricate yourself.. Goodluck! looking forward to seeing your progress..

LaBeL
12-26-2005, 03:46 AM
i know for sure that its a microATX but many say it still might not fit... im pretty much pissed at dell, my last try is probably gonna have to bring my computer to compusa and ask

digital_exhaust
12-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Oh my....finally. I feel your pain bro, but trust me, don't waste the gas goin to compusa. They'll look at you with nothin but a blank stare. I assure you your mobo will fit in almost any ATX case out there. I've recased about 10 4600's...(lots at work...hot environment blah blah blah) I've jumped through all the same hoops as you have. Bottom line is this; Dell used to use alot of propritary sh!t in their machines, I have found through personal experience that is not so much the case anymore. Fan headers and power switch/lighting connectors are different, but that's about it. It will work. Hope this helps...Z..