PDA

View Full Version : microsoft server 2003

voltov
03-14-2005, 07:38 PM
is this worth getting if i want to start my own website? or is there another alternative that is cheaper? and info would be great

Seven
03-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Linux is always an option, and it's becoming increasingly popular for servers.

What is this server going to be for by the way?

DannyGlass
03-15-2005, 08:44 AM
It depends what you want to use the server for, so could you possible say what the server is for, thankyou.

-DannyGlass

ZeD
03-15-2005, 10:57 AM
is this worth getting if i want to start my own website? or is there another alternative that is cheaper? and info would be great
Personally it is NOT worth the cost. If you use a free alternative like Linux, NetBSD, freeBSD you will find it to be more stable, and use less resources than windows, you also do not need to constantly upgrade to the latest patches and fixes. If you look through the recent articles over at extremetech or pcmagazine they had a decent article on the merits of the various BSD operating systems out there. A free operating system coupled with a system made from spare parts would be a good cheap alternative, if you do not have spare parts lying around Dell often offers there SC400 and 420 servers for sale for ~$200 shipped every few weeks.

voltov
03-15-2005, 02:11 PM
i am planning on making a website to sell stuff like computer peices and patato cannons.. and i didnt really feel like paying alot of money to have someone to host it.. so there you go :)

Chapel
03-15-2005, 02:39 PM
You could host somethign like that on a basic box. Though if your going to use linux be prepared to do a lot of reading. Though you could prolly find all the protocols for free on the web. good luck. let me know how hard it is, I have often wanted to set up my own e-mail server.

voltov
03-15-2005, 04:40 PM
well... i didnt really feel like doing paying the crazy expensive prices of the hosting compaies when i can do it at my house.. i have everything i need just need to put it together and start er up.. and i dont think money is going to be a problem with the server 2003 cause i have ways to *buy* it if you know what i mean

ZeD
03-15-2005, 06:06 PM
i am planning on making a website to sell stuff like computer peices and patato cannons.. and i didnt really feel like paying alot of money to have someone to host it.. so there you go :)

If you send me a potato cannon I may be persuaded to help set one up. My advice go for one of the BSD alternatives.

voltov
03-16-2005, 04:53 PM
well you can buy one off the site when i get it set up... they will be really cool (my friend makes them) and the prices for them will be lower than spud techs

Matthew
03-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Ah. dont get me started on Linux. Thats mostly all I use. For servers I would say there is nothing better. Get you a copy of any dist. and put webmin on there and you will be set. Even though webmin is good for begginers I still use it when I dont have access to a terminal.

My Server (Does DHCP for the house and runs a few sites from it):
1.5ghz Celeron
256mb Ram
200gb Maxtor
8mb down/756kb up Cable Line (Fine for a low traffice site like my own)

Sound crappy?
Well Linux doesent take much to run...my current uptime output is this:
20:28:36 up 17 days, 7:43, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

voltov
03-17-2005, 04:35 PM
one question, how big does the hard drive have to be? im not planning on supporting many files on it, but i have a 60gb hard drive, a 30 and a 20.5 and i am wondering if i can link them all together?

voltov
03-20-2005, 03:55 PM
well seeing as how i am a complete noob to this stuff could someone tell me how to set up a server or point me in the direction for me to find out?