PDA

View Full Version : American Muscle

AceX
12-27-2005, 07:10 PM
[This was posted in the Rookie's section and recieved no responses. I only now realized that I had it posted in the wrong place. :rolleyes: ]

Ok, My next project is going to be to put some life back into my old case that I am using now. It's a decent case IMO. Had it for nearly 3 years now and it has outlived 2 mobo's, an HDD, and 3 CD/DVD-ROM drives. Don't ask me how either, I just don't know. It refuses to die...

So anyway, here's the case:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/ace95835/P1010100.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/ace95835/P1010101.jpg

Yes, I am going to completely rewire the case and make all of the wires as hidden as possible. Now, lets get crackin'

I'm a car nut. When I'm not thinking about my PC, I'm thinking about my cars. That's when the idea to combine the two hit me. I'd like to crate a Chevy themed box.

A few ideas for it that I had:

1. Cut the Chevy bow-tie out of the side panel and then place a plaxi panel behind it, maybe acrylic, and hook up an few LEDs to it, making it light up nice and purty.

2. Those two blue, screen strips that you see on the front of the case, put either long cathodes or a string of LEDs in each (there's one on each side of the face) show they shine out the front.

3. Get a new, chrome powersupply, maybe build a custom housing for it, but definitely chrome.

4. Strip the case and paint it to match my car (which is being painted metallic blue).

5. Maybe, where I have the two extra bays on the face, I could bondo that up and then maybe place an old SS emblem on there or something to that effect.

If you guys can think of anything that may go along with the theme, or any cool ideas that you'd like to see someone try, just for the fun of it. Let me know.

Thanks,

AceX

public_eyesore
12-27-2005, 08:29 PM
pin stripes are a must

crenn
12-27-2005, 11:14 PM
If it refused to die, turn it on and dunk it in a bucket of water. That will kill it!!

OvRiDe
12-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Steel Braid .. Got to have steal braiding .. what would also be kewl.. if you did a water cooling setup .. to have Aeroquip fittings like these..
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/0231.jpg
Would be cool.. Spark plug boots at the end of wires.. I have thought about this too.. There are tons of stuff in the autoparts stores to feed the imagination.. I think it will be really slick.. Looking forward to seeing it come to life!!

Xato
12-27-2005, 11:37 PM
If it refused to die, turn it on and dunk it in a bucket of water. That will kill it!!

Make sure its soapy water!

AceX
12-28-2005, 01:55 AM
Hmm... I like the liquid cooling idea, but mounting a rad. unit, reservoir, and then the plumbing, seems like alot of work and money. I could do it, that isn't the issue here, I'm just wondering if it is worth it?

Also, steel braiding is expensive when compared to other methods of sleeving, but I will ask my uncle (who has two award winning hot rods) where I might be able to find some for real cheap.

Back to the liquid cooling:
I could use the two vacant drive bays to mount the rad. unit and maybe a fan in the middle of it, it could be mouted on a shroud, so it would be right in the center of the rad. unit.

Dammit Overide, you got me thinkin again (guess I should be thanking you, but I will instead curse you... >_> ).

Ok, I'm going to look into the liquid cooling a little more, and the steel braiding, see if I can't find some Earl's hose fittings.

Can you guys think of any actual car pats that might look good? I already went out and bought an air filter assembly and rigged it up just like the Boss mustang build that's going on.

adreamtraveler
12-28-2005, 02:54 AM
chrome, chrome, did someone say pin strips?, more chrome, a door handle to open the side panel, some more chrome, exhaust pipes, and even more chrome.... lol...there are lots of little things you could do with a car theme...make some badass fan grills that look like a hot set of rims...stuff like that...god luck can't wait to see what you come up with!!! :D

Myrdhyn
12-28-2005, 12:59 PM
I can't see the picture of the case from work but I have 2 thoughts

1) if you want a chrome psu.....check this out http://www.xoxide.com/ultra-x-connect-power-supply.html its the psu i have and i absolutely love it and it also looks great....there are several others both beefier and slimmer (wattage wise) in the same line that have the same great look
2) If you are doing a chevy theme...get that bowtie in there for sure but also try and work in some chevy orange somewheres

AceX
12-28-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm looking around inside the case to see where else I can incorporate chrome bits, so stay tuned for that. I'm trying to male sure that there isn't too much chrome because the more chrome, the more time it takes to maintain it.

As for the orange: The engine for my truck is painted that same color. Lots of chrome bits on it too. I'll see what I can do, trying to keep it really clean and simple, no really wild colors and lighting.

OH! it just hit me for the exhaust! I'll get a couple fans and some exhaust tips and fit them to the side of the case, down at the bottom, giving me 2 additional fans and a cool effect when the lighting comes out the side exhaust pipes.

I've also ditched the liquid cooling idea. Although a VERY good idea and however much it would help with the theme, it would require far too much time/money. I am still, however, looking for some cheap stainless braided line to use as sleeving.

EDIT: Is it alright if you paint a heatsink with hightemp paint?

public_eyesore
12-28-2005, 10:27 PM
tell us your budget and we'll realy be able to help you.

AceX
12-29-2005, 02:01 AM
um, budget... Whatever I can spare... I've got a car going to be painted very soon, so not much. MAYBE $100-$200.

Oh, painted the case today. Decided on Semi-Flat black from Krylon. Good color. Half my MR2 is painted that color... The "grills" that you guys see in the above pictures are now painted aluminum also, giving the face this whole silver/black scheme, plus, I've decided on red lighting for the case, so now I'm on a quest to find some red LED fans and CCNL at my local Fry's store. I also picked up some IDE cables that were sleeved in what appeared to be stainless braided line. Nice cables. Biught a second set, in blue, for my system that I'm using right now. I MAY buy the PSU sometime after friday, when I get paid.

I'm going to cut the Chevy logo into the side tommorrow, should be sick. I'm also trying to get ahold of the guys at ACRyan to try and get my hands on some of that "2-way mirror" acrylic that they have.

OvRiDe
12-29-2005, 02:24 AM
Damn you AceX .. I wanted to see steel braided liquid cooling lines in that case!!! Just Kidding.. Thats pretty much why I havent pursued doing that in a case is it does get pretty expensive. Sounds like you pretty much got it going on track (heh get it on Track!! hah.. I crack my self up..) An idea that I thought would be pretty cool is have an HEI Distributor cap (or red Mallory would be nice but more $$) sticking out the top with Spark plug wires going out and back into the top of the case.. It would most likely be just for looks but it could be modified to be a blowhole.. That would be pretty sweet and definately fit the theme..

AceX
12-29-2005, 04:18 AM
My only thing with the dist. cap idea is that now, all the cars come with a single coil per cylinder ignition system, meaning that there are no more spark plug wires in the cars... It's a dam shame too. I did get to thinking about making a custom box for the PSU and then using a dist. cap that I have in my garage as the "holes" in the PSU for the wiring.

I've also decided, that once I get a little money in my pocket, that I'm going to get a chrome license plate frame with a light built in and put it on the opposite side of the case form the plexi cut-out.

I have not given up the search for a cheap, small water cooling system. If I could put the whole thing together for about $120, I would, with Earl's lines and fittings, everything. If anyone knows of a half-way decent system that is VERY space friendly (compact/small), please speak up as I would absolutely LOVE to do this.

I will be running an ABIT mobo with a socket 754 AMD 3100+ Sempron Processor (not the best out there, but I got it for next to nothing). I already have a video card for it also. I think I may borrow one form my brother until I can get my hands on another x700. Wish Is till had my old 8500LE. God I loved that card...

So, yeah, if anyone can recommend a decent, cheap cooling system for my CPU, then I'll do it.

Also, can you paint a heatsink w/ hightemp paint?

OvRiDe
12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Also, can you paint a heatsink w/ hightemp paint?

I would think that the paint would insulate the heatsink and hold more heat in. I'm no thermodynamics major so the amount it holds in may be miniscule, and not even worth mentioning.

AceX
12-29-2005, 06:21 PM
I've decided to bite the bullet and get a liquid cooling system. I found one for about $120 w/ tax, and it is almost exactly what I'm looking for, just too much green (coloring that is). I'll have to see what I can do to fix that... So, I think I'm going to pick it up this weekend and then start and see what kind of hoses I can get to work with it.

EDIT: How long does it usually take for the guys @ acryan to answer an email?

SgtM
01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Since you don't like the green liquid for the water cooling, go to your local auto parts store (Autozone if you have one) and check out the orange UV reactive liquid that they have. That could be your Chevy orange you are looking to incorporate.

Xato
01-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Ya, UV coloring is easy to get.
And is it a 3/8 or 1/2 hose system?

AceX
01-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm looking at a Cooler Master water cooling system. I'm still looking for the stainless braided hose. I haven't had much time these last few days, my grandpa's house almost flooded, so I spent a good portion of my weekend there, laying down sandbags ans such, then volunteering at the places where they were filling sandbags, trying to help other people out. Been busy..

I do have a cool little touch inside the case now... Waiting until I fine tune everything to amke it look good, but I promise that its cool.

OvRiDe
01-02-2006, 04:57 PM
On the steel braiding.. you could use something like THIS (http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7EHoses+%26+Hose+Ends%7C%7ENONE %7C%7EMagnabraid+II%2FPro-Hex+Engine+Kit+Incl.+Vacuum+Heater+Hose+Fuel+Line+ Sleeving+4+Heat+Shrink+Bands+Clamps+Radiator+Hose+ Red+Fittings%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E 4665%7C%7E568%7C%7E7482%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E%2439.99%7C %7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E1.8%7C% 7EEA%7C%7EB%7C%7ESPE%7C%7Etrue)..
Its not as good as the real deal.. but done right it could still look pretty cool in a case..

AceX
01-02-2006, 05:51 PM
I've actually ditched the water cooling idea. As cool as it could be (no pun intended) I don't think I can either afford it, nor do I have the time/patience to play with it. I don't do any extreme over clocking, so why do I need it...?

On that note, I've started a crappy work log for the project.

Vertigo
02-05-2006, 04:10 AM
If I were going to make a "car" case, the first thing I'd suggest, is decide what kinda vibe you're going for. Do you want some old Model T Hotrod vibe, Muscle Cars (GTOs, Barracudas, etc), or something maybe a little more "cruise" worthy.

After that, do some research on some of those cars. For instance, if you wanted to do, say ... a cruiser, and were going for an old Mercury or Bel Air, something like that. Then look at the parts that stick out, you can find TONS of photos and get more at local swap meets and on the internet. Also, you might incorporate actual parts, aftermarket chrome bits, etc.

When I think of this mod, I think of my grandad's old car, it had this huge chromed dash, with gadgets EVERYWHERE, and that's just begging to be the front of a computer case. Depending really on the "vibe" you're going for, is what parts you'll want to focus on really, if you're going for the suped up hot rod/muscle car for instance you could make a tacometer for the case that displays temp inside the case.

Anyhow, just a couple of ideas I thought I'd throw at you. Good luck with it, it has a lot of potential.

AceX
02-05-2006, 05:25 AM
Here's what I actually ended up doing: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1856

Malatory
02-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Flames ... If its Old School, you need flames.

www.mnpctech.com has a good guide on painting flames.