PDA

View Full Version : VM Ware troubles

Drum Thumper
03-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Alright, here's the situation: I have a client in rural central Montana (read: dial up access, no router) who wants me to build a website for their business. I have installed VM Ware on my Acer, and have Ubuntu 8.04 with a LAMP stack running virtually, as needed for website design for when I am not at home.

Here is the problem: without a router, I cannot connect to the virtual machine via http. What (and more importantly, where do I need to look) do I have to do to get this to work.

I would just as soon not install a WAMP stack on the laptop. But ultimately, if that is what I have to do, that is what will happen.

Thanks in adavnce!

OvRiDe
03-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Are you not able to connect to the VM from the laptop? I just finished building an 8.04 LAMP on my workstation at work in order to test an installation. I was able to connect to the website from the Host machine using the 192.168... address of the VMadapter.

Wait.. I think I see .. in your VM do you have the network adapter set to Bridged, NAT, or Host only? If its not set to NAT at the moment, you should be able to change it in the settings, fire up the VM, and then connect to it using the IP address that VMWare assigns to it.

Hope this helps.

Drum Thumper
03-15-2009, 11:39 PM
I can connect as long as Lappy is connected to a network. I've cross posted this @ technibble, and one of the responses there was to to set the adapter to host. I'll try this tomorrow after work.