PDA

View Full Version : I propose a TBCS TGIMBOEJ!!!!

Oneslowz28
03-16-2009, 09:17 PM
A Tgimboej is a USPS flat rate box full of electronic stuffs that you can not bring your self to throw away but also might not use in the near future. It is a way to share components, and other electronics stuff with friends and members of the community who you otherwise may not get a chance to interact with. It is also a great way to get cool components and other electronic stuffs that you might find useful where as the person who put it in the box had no use for. I mean I have a junk box full of electronic components both used and unused and all kinds of other goodies and I am sure others on here do to.

We could throw in things like heat sinks, spare modding supplies, wire, leds, case screws, external ports, etc. I think this would be an awesome project for us to get going.

So what is the official definition of a Tgimboej? Here is the official answer straight off the official site. (http://tgimboej.org)

The Great Internet Migratory Box Of Electronics Junk is a progressive lending library of electronic components. An Internet meme in physical form halfway between P2P zip-archive sharing and a flea market. It arrives full of wonderful (and possibly useless) components, but you will surely find some treasures to keep. You will be inspired look through your own piles, such as they are, and find more mysterious components that clearly need to be donated to the box before it is passed on again.

The rules.
Recipient Conditions for The Great Internet Migratory Box Of Electronics Junk:

1. Take out and add as much electronics junk as you like (but keep it small enough to fit in a USPS flat-rate Priority Mail box or the equivalent for your postal system).
2. Write up, photograph, document or otherwise publish in some way online at least one thing you took out (suggested flickr tag: TGIMBOEJ, see also: flickr group ). ****I Use my blog http://cjganttphotography.com/blog****
3. There is a little book in the box. Add a checkmark by your name to show that the box has been to you. Also propose a future recipient by adding their name and e-mail address to the book.
4. Within two weeks pass the box along to one of the people whose name is in the book. Before mailing it to them, send them this list and make sure that they want to participate.

More info on other Tgimboej's that are circulating around the world can be found here. http://tgimboej.org

I know cost would prohibit the sending of the Tgimboej across the pond to our foreign friends but they could start one too. There is no limit as to how many boxes we can start.

So if some people want to do this I am more than willing to start it and over see the project.

progbuddy
03-16-2009, 09:23 PM
A Tgimboej is a USPS flat rate box full of electronic stuffs that you can not bring your self to throw away but also might not use in the near future. It is a way to share components, and other electronics stuff with friends and members of the community who you otherwise may not get a chance to interact with. It is also a great way to get cool components and other electronic stuffs that you might find useful where as the person who put it in the box had no use for. I mean I have a junk box full of electronic components both used and unused and all kinds of other goodies and I am sure others on here do to.

We could throw in things like heat sinks, spare modding supplies, wire, leds, case screws, external ports, etc. I think this would be an awesome project for us to get going.

So what is the official definition of a Tgimboej? Here is the official answer straight off the official site. (http://tgimboej.org)

So if some people want to do this I am more than willing to start it and over see the project.

Love the idea. Shipping costs though. I would be willing to chip in though. We should send it international around the world and back. Therefore, it would be the first migratory box of electro junk to circumnavigate the globe.

Oh, and its propose.

nevermind1534
03-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Cool. I'd be in for it. Maybe a flat large rate box, instead, though.

Oneslowz28
03-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Thats the idea of a USPS flat rate box. Its a set fee no matter how much weight is in the box. I shipped one out the other day full of wedding albums and prints and it only cost me 8 bucks despite weighting 12+ lbs.

Oneslowz28
03-16-2009, 09:27 PM
A Tgimboej is a USPS flat rate box full of electronic stuffs that you can not bring your self to throw away but also might not use in the near future. It is a way to share components, and other electronics stuff with friends

First sentence guys.... LOL

nevermind1534
03-16-2009, 09:30 PM
I just sent CHIMAERA a huge box of stuff over 13 LBs, from the US to canada, was about $40. Don't use UPS or fedex to ship packages worth much internationally, because they charge the person that it's shipped to insane fees.

I fixed my previous post. I meant to say large flat rate box.

Oneslowz28
03-16-2009, 09:34 PM
I am already putting a box together. It will take me a few days to get it all together but I am sure someone will find something useful. Teaser: The pile already contains LEDs, Soldering supplies, and a heat sink. Much more will be added. Maybe a capacitor charging circuit with capacitor for a coil gun project.....

nevermind1534
03-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I am already putting a box together. It will take me a few days to get it all together but I am sure someone will find something useful. Teaser: The pile already contains LEDs, Soldering supplies, and a heat sink. Much more will be added. Maybe a capacitor charging circuit with capacitor for a coil gun project.....

I'll be the first person to take it. I've got quite a bit of stuff to get rid of, myself.

Oneslowz28
03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Maybe I will start a thread with a list of who is getting it and who has gotten it.

nevermind1534
03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
We could probably keep it going indefinitely.

xRyokenx
03-16-2009, 09:50 PM
This is the best idea EVAR. Just because I like the idea of a box of electrocrap circulating the country in a large, flat rate bawx.

chaksq
03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
I am all for this, I suggest that whoever would like to receive the box pay for shipping to receive it. Also probably better that only active members participate. Say >20 posts or something. One or two people should officially organize and track the movement of the box as long as the admins approve, I would be willing to help out. Add me to the list at any rate.

Oneslowz28
03-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Official Sign up thread with rules. http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?p=235499#post235499

nevermind1534
03-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Cool. I wonder if anybody can use any dialup modems... I'll have to gut some of my dead electronics out for more parts to add. I'm a little short on heatsinks atm.

BuzzKillington
03-16-2009, 11:29 PM
I recently sold/gave away a huge lot of ALL my spare parts for 60 bucks. I needed it gone asap because I was being kicked out and didn't want to store it. There was a ton of dimms (I know... I know... $$$) AMD motherboards, a server board (I'm not sure what socket but it was pretty old) a router, some hubs, older cases, like 10 cd/dvd drives, a few 300watt power supplies and much more.

ahh, my stomach.

I still have a couple "junk boxes" filled with a bunch of cool gadgets and big kid toys though that I could add to the box.

Oneslowz28
03-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Sweet.

Omega
03-17-2009, 03:13 PM
This thread is now in the Trading Post so that it is covered by the rules and disclaimers posted here. tl;dr: TBCS is not responsible if somebody doesn't ship.

Have a nice day and thank you for flying TBCS!

TheGreatSatan
03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
I don't get it. Who gets everyone's stuff?

nevermind1534
03-20-2009, 07:06 PM
It gets passed along to the next member on the list, then once everybody has it, it starts over. Each person can pull out what the need/want and put some of their extra parts in it.

Omega
03-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I don't get it. Who gets everyone's stuff?

It gets passed along to the next member on the list, then once everybody has it, it starts over. Each person can pull out what the need/want and put some of their extra parts in it.

this.

TGS, you know that box of electronics crap that I'm sure you and everybody else has?

this is like making one big communal one.

When you get the box, you can pull out what you'd like and put in something in exchange. you then ship the box to the next person on the list and the box just goes around and around and around. this way you don't have to throw out perfectly good electronics junk, it gets put to good use, and you might score something that you will find useful! :up:

nevermind1534
03-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Could anybody use a motor or some capacitors/resistors that I have? Or Tactile switches? I have a DVD/VCR combo that I pulled apart. Or what about some dial up modems?

Oneslowz28
03-21-2009, 09:44 AM
What size are the caps?

nevermind1534
03-21-2009, 01:11 PM
What size are the caps?

I have various caps. I don't think there's too many identical ones.

Oneslowz28
03-23-2009, 05:35 PM
I got everything together I am putting in the box. I just have to stop by the post office and pick up a flat rate box and a small book for people to write in.