PDA

View Full Version : Custom 5.25" flip out monitor

toco123
03-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Hello,
I am lookin for the best quote on a custom flip out monitor.
It must fit in a single 5.25" slot bay, be styled in black, a screen 5"+ and a resolution of 640*480+.
It is to suit the top bay of thermaltake va8003bws.
I will buy off the person with the best mixture of competence, price, style, design and time.
Post your offers, and btw I'm based in ireland.

jdbnsn
03-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Oooh, a modding job request. I was wondering if we'd get any of these, I'll bet someone here can do it but the shipping may hurt. Plus, the price may be hard to determine without having purchased the building materials first.

NightrainSrt4
03-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Not to be rude, but you might want to take a look around and get to become part of the community before rushing straight to Trading Post. Not sure how excited our members would be to send off their product to someone who has only posted once.

That aside, I'm not sure how many flip out lcds there are that fit 5.25" bays. The Only one I know of is this Thermaltake 7" Touchscreen (http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermaltake-A2413-7-LCD-MONITOR-TOUCH-SCREEN_W0QQitemZ280323932655QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCom puter_Monitors?hash=item280323932655&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50) , but it's expensive.

BuzzKillington
03-19-2009, 10:35 AM
I agree. No disrespect to any newcomers but I think there should be rep brackets where say a 5-20 dollar transaction should be limited to 3green and above where a 21-100 dollar transaction should be perhaps 5green and above and anything over 100 dollars should be cleared with an admin.

That's just my .02. This market idea is a wonderful addition to the community but I also see it as a great threat considering the amount of advertising some of us are doing on craigslist, etc... we all know craiglist is full of scammers.

Once again, no offense to anyone, besides scammers of course. :P

toco123
03-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Okay i understand!
However my offer still stands!
By the way i have 30+ feedback on ebay. I also have 2 feedback stars on my national advert site and 450+ posts on the computer forum in my national forum. The two sites bante are adverts.ie and boards.ie

I have cash waiting and am defo not a scammer

NightrainSrt4
03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across to harsh. It's just first posts as wts/wtb don't turn out well in most forums I visit.

If you can find one of those thermaltake one's it would prob suit your needs best. It's 1280x768 or something and touchscreen. Other than that one not sure if there are any other retail ones. Haven't seen anyone here with one in their rig, and we do like to show our rigs off, but who knows maybe someone has one.

jdbnsn
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
As for the spammer concerns, we're watching closely but if we miss an obvious spammer let us know by posting it in the "report spam" thread. This guy doesn't fit the profile of a spammer and I think his request is legit based on what he's said.

toco123- What kind of budget do you have to work with? Most small LCD's are rather pricey to begin with, and motorizing one adds to the cost.

NightrainSrt4
03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Nevermind about the Thermaltake one. I think it uses the slightly larger slot like what's in my lanbox instead of a regular 5.25. Hmmm, not sure if there is one of those easily available.

Definitely would probably have to be a custom job.

jdbnsn
03-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I know there are people here who are certainly capable of building such a device, but I image it would be rather costly.

Luke122
03-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Does the monitor need to be motorized?

toco123
03-19-2009, 02:51 PM
@nighttrain: they were made for thermaltake lanbox/mozart and are touchscreen
@jdnsn: I have a reasonable budget, i realise how much they cost but I will only pay for the quality of what I was getting.
@Luke122:It has to be neat and flush but not exactly motorised... Like a cheap car screen sitting in a tray isn't going to impress anyone :L:L

The Moby2's screen is kind of an idea what i'd be looking at:
http://www.casemodgod.com/Gallery/mobygif.gif

Heres how he made it
Tutorial for 6" LCD - Single 5.25" Bay Case Mod (http://www.casemodgod.com/ModGuides/LCD1BayMod/lcdbaymod.htm)

Im not looking for an exact rip off and befor you go buying some silver brushed aluminium remember you are making it for a Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/files/detail/0421.jpg

toco123
03-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Any interest? I've seen a lot of custom ones from this site!

toco123
03-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Would it be hard to make the thermaltake screen fit the Armor if i hacked at the Armor with a dremel?

toco123
03-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Someone who could offer a thermaltake LCD screen replica at 5.25", I would pay about 300USD

jdbnsn
03-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I might be willing to do this custom built pull-out screen for your case, but I have a couple of projects that I need to finish up first. Can it wait a couple of weeks?

Not sure what you mean by "thermaltake LCD screen replica".

toco123
03-21-2009, 03:35 PM
For something that had a similar spec to thermaltakes, I would be willing to pay the price of the thermaltake.
However please relise that would mean touchscreen, motorised, high resolution.

I would wait a few weeks i would also pay deposits on them to help buy materials if i trust who im buying from. i would then pay the rest before it is sent.

If you want to know how much i would pay for your custom monitor please list spec and a basic design plan or a link to a previous similar job you preformed

jdbnsn
03-21-2009, 04:08 PM
I was referring to making you a non-motorized pull-out style like Moby's. If you want motorized, that gets considerably more expensive for the linear actuator and design. And most of those small screens are not high res (at least last time I checked), and you usually need to get an old PCI video card with low enough res to control it. But I may need correcting on those last details.

toco123
03-21-2009, 09:17 PM
You can find a 640*480 easily enough.

I use a ATI HD4850.

Linear Actuators arent that expensive last time i checked?

jdbnsn
03-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Well I have not priced the linear actuators myself, so you may be right about their cost. 640*480 sounds about right for the lcd but the problem as I understood it was that most newer video cards couldn't go that low but maybe I am mistaken about that. I've never made something exactly like this, but I'm sure I could do it as long as I got some of my other work done first. You would need to buy the screen and ship it to me first so I could design the mechanism around it.

toco123
03-21-2009, 10:38 PM
why?

jdbnsn
03-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Why what? Why would I need the screen? I can't very well build a device to house and move the screen if I don't have it with me.

toco123
03-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Okay but I would need to know what you will be doing to it. What work and what parts.. And most importantly as you have other projects at the moment, when could you have it done by?

jdbnsn
03-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Well, I can't start right away. Give me a week or two to get some of these other jobs done so I can dedicate my full attention to the project. Aside from the screen, the only other major parts I can think of would be the actuator itself. The rest would just be aluminum rails which are cheap and wiring, small expenses. You should shop around for both the screen and actuator and send me the info and I'll tell you if they look like they would work right, and when the time comes also send me one of your drive bay covers so i can use it as a cover to match your case.

toco123
03-24-2009, 05:29 AM
You will have to pick the actuator. Try ebay.
Can you give me an idea of what maximum dimensions for the screen?
Will it need to have vga as standard or would you be able to rewire it?
Are you able to make it use all its power from the power supply, like the thermaltake?
Will it be able to be motorised with one press of a button or will it require holdin a switch?
And how do you plan to make it to fold back into itself?

toco123
03-24-2009, 05:32 AM
I will buy the parts and send them to you then

jdbnsn
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
You will have to pick the actuator. Try ebay.
Okay, I'll buy the parts needed to build the device when i get to that point.

Can you give me an idea of what maximum dimensions for the screen?
Look at total width of the unit (because the frame around the screen is the limiting factor) and it will need to be around 5", that is only giving me a 1/4" space to build guide rails but I think it's enough.

Will it need to have vga as standard or would you be able to rewire it?
Most of the small screens I've seen use a yellow RCA connection, VGA would also work, or S-video. Before you buy a screen send me a link to it and I'll tell you if I think it'll work.

Are you able to make it use all its power from the power supply, like the thermaltake?
That shouldn't be a problem.

Will it be able to be motorised with one press of a button or will it require holdin a switch?
whichever you want.

And how do you plan to make it to fold back into itself?
I still have to get at least two major projects done before I start this, but when the time comes I'll make it a worklog so you can view the progress and design.

toco123
03-24-2009, 12:10 PM
I understand your present situation concerning your current projects.

Postage as mentioned above may be a possible obstacle, so if you pick a suitable actuator and when i pick a monitor, i can purchase them and have them sent directly to your delivery address.

This way we can easily decide on a fair price developed by the quality and labour involved.

jdbnsn
03-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Agreed. I may actually wait until I've started designing and building to choose the actuator, in the event that a servo is better suited. I'll let you know when I'm ready to start.

toco123
03-24-2009, 01:41 PM
I just sent a PM! :D