PDA

View Full Version : windows ??

Durrthock
12-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Is it possible to reuse a windows xp disc on a diffrent computer??
I need to know this asap

public_eyesore
12-28-2005, 02:33 PM
yea but you gotta purchase a code. If your using the exact same proc as the original was installed on though, you dont need to buy the code.

edit: W00t i have teh sup3r l337 500 p0st5

Malatory
12-28-2005, 02:36 PM
With A new license or same one?

new = yes

same = no

Move the license = yes but requires a phone call to MS

Durrthock
12-28-2005, 02:36 PM
so where can u buy a code?? Ok what do you mean by license sorry i am not savvy yo operating system instalition.

Malatory
12-28-2005, 02:45 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&type=ovr&pcid=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5

On the right hand side it goes into added license codes

adreamtraveler
12-28-2005, 03:36 PM
the additional license from microsoft is still way too expensive though. check it out, Windows XP Professional—full version $269.00...why pay that much for just the code when over at directron.com you can get the 64bit OEM disc (http://store.yahoo.com/directron/winxpx64.html) for only $139 (32bit OEM disc (http://store.yahoo.com/directron/winxppro.html) for $136.99)....that's a huge difference in my poor man's opinion... :p

public_eyesore
12-28-2005, 07:19 PM
yea, oem is great. I heard tho that xp 64 bit edition come right behind windows BOB and windows ME

Judgement
12-29-2005, 04:49 AM
acutly if u don't register the code u don't have to buy a new one. I've used my same Key code many times on my computers. never bothering to register and I can always update ect fine never had any problems. I'm not sure if this is illegal or not but it works for my XP pro I can't say for other versions.

digital_exhaust
12-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Do you mean activate?? I'm pretty sure ms gives only 30 days before you have to activate the install for it to continue to work.

What you can do is call the 800 #, explain why you are re-installing an old copy of windows and they'll give you a new key. All you gotta do is tell them you un-installed your old version, burned a mobo, lost a HDD etc... eaasy.

vtechno
01-05-2006, 02:01 PM
I wonder if your computer breaks if it can be install on another.

chris_kalan
01-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Yes, you can install Win XP multiple times without the need for a new code. Just tell them on the phone when you activate that you had to wipe your computer. Think about it....they wouldn't sell you a piece of software that you can only use once. I have now reinstalled Windows 4 or 5 times, running regular old Home Edition.

Durrthock
01-05-2006, 04:42 PM
lol i havent even posted in a week and this is still alive

UK-Blade
01-06-2006, 07:13 PM
You can call M$ to re-activate a valid licence, BUT there is a limit on the number of times you can do it!!!

Not sure how many, I'll post when I remember where I saw this info.

ClearCaseMan
01-06-2006, 10:45 PM
there is a simple answer to the question. the disk can be reused. the code depending on which install you have may or may not be transferable. OEM IS NOT transferable under any circumstances. retail is transferable, and retail can be installed on 2 pc's by the Eula" End Usey License Agreement". one PC and one mobile device, (laptop) the there is eopen and standard upgrade those can be transfered. any thing other than that is Illegal.

Durrthock
01-07-2006, 11:51 AM
so i i got an xp disc with my dell can i reuse that.

mistman
01-12-2006, 05:36 AM
I look you posts guys, and I don't think what a problem with a key, WPA_Kill.exe for sp2 don't work :^) or unduly use another key in you country? ;)

public_eyesore
01-12-2006, 03:04 PM
I look you posts guys, and I don't think what a problem with a key, WPA_Kill.exe for sp2 don't work :^) or unduly use another key in you country? ;)
wow... i understood none of that

OvRiDe
01-12-2006, 11:06 PM
so i i got an xp disc with my dell can i reuse that.

Unless you paid extra for a full retail version, Dell ships their PC's with OEM versions. So the answer would be no. Infact the ones they sent us at work, won't even work on another brand of PC. When setup starts it says cannot continue on Non Dell Hardware. So I had 300 Dell CD's and I had to go dig up the 1 CD in the building that came with the laptop I was trying to load. :mad:

Zuke
01-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Here's the final word on this:

OEM: will only work with the system it was shipped with, and usually only works once.
Aftermarket (you bought it from a store): you are allowed up to 20 installations on it before it will fail validation. After that you need an enterprise license.
Enterprise Edition: as long as it's a valid copy, it's good forever. If not, you can install and get past the intial setup, but Windows Update still block you from getting additional updates (critical ones will still come to you so long as you enable automatic updates). Bypass this by using Autopatcher (google it).

DimitrifromGreece
02-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Do not, under any circumstances, advocate or encourage software pricacy in any form on these boards. This is your only warning.

-The moderators

OvRiDe
02-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Its probably not a good idea to advise some one to engage in illegal activites on a forum.

Crimson13
02-10-2006, 01:33 AM
"Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed."

Yeah, I think if you dont want to get banned or somthing that method of installing/acquiring windows should be droped.

tybrenis
02-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Yeah, don't listen to that guy, don't rip off the good folks (lol) at M!kr0$0f7.

I have one copy of Windows XP that has over time probably been installed like 6 times over 2 computers. Nothing happened, I don't know the exact rules though. Listen to the other guys that have responded, they seem to know whats going on.

DaveW
02-11-2006, 05:13 PM
I put MS Home on the my girlfriends computer, and it runs on the same code that my laptop uses. As her computer cannot physically connect to the internet due to damage to the bus on the motherboard ( at least i think that's the problem. No kind of networking works, be it PCI cards, USB networking, etc. etc.) so i figure who's going to know.

Microsoft sold XP to the Malaysian government for $3 a liscence when they threatened to go to Linux a few years ago, when XP was a fresh OS. They kind of abuse their market dominance. But that's a discussion for another day, eh?

-Dave

Zuke
02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Again, no body knows. The only way it's going to cause problems is when you install the same key more than 20 times.

Judgement
02-28-2006, 09:42 AM
alrighty forgive me im not up on M$ Agreements and im not sure how much of what i do is or is not or border lines brakein the law but im just gona throw it out there anyways

I have 3 XP cd keys I reinstall once a year to clean up my system and to get another free year off my norton system works i just had to redo this about amonth ago because my 2005 yea was up one CD key i payed for and the others a friend of mine gave me becuse he got sick of M$ crap and now uses Linux i cant say for sure if ive installed more then 20 times but ive never had a problem or had to call M$ for anything but ive also never registered the keys i always skip that part one of the keys i was given dose not work if i try to do the new genuine advantage validation tool but you can turn this off in your Internet Explorer under manage add ons how ever doing this does cause MS to give u half a$$ed up dates and causes an error in the registy nothing major but if ur like me u hate that kind of thing

hope that help and hope i didnt give and illegal advice if i did let me know and ill edit it out

Hasbios
03-04-2006, 11:19 PM
u my friend need microsoft corporate edition. microsoft released it for companies to buy one os and not many. its so usefull because u dont have to register or activate it. if u want a copy email me and ill give u the info all u need to do is suply me the cdr cause im not spending my money.