PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Custom Window Cut

Datech
03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I saw knoledgegranted's post earlier about a milling design and I figured I'd jump on board too. I need a very intricate window cut for my upcoming case design for my mother, and I'd just as soon help someone on here out as I would send it to a machine shop. The overview of the design is here:

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17835

It would of course be the top portion of the case, the one that represents the Orangerie. I am very keen on keeping the intricacy of the gardens in tact, so I would prefer computer aided machining precision. I can provide a CAD or similar file if you need it.

I'll pay whatever you think needs to be paid, and I'll throw in $20 extra provided you go out, buy a case of beer, and take a photo of yourself with said beer (assuming you are of age and no longer around said machinery, lol).

haha49
04-02-2009, 01:45 AM
any metal shop with a plasma cuter would be able to do it.. you would just have to mark it out for them by makeing cutouts then traceing them out.. doing that they just cut it out you could probly get most machine shops to do it for around 40 bucks..

thats not a super hard pattern..

Datech
04-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I'll probably start pricing this out at local shops in a few days, so if anyone wants to get in on it before then let me know. Remember I'm paying cost+beer!

b4i7
04-04-2009, 05:42 PM
a mill would be harder to get that kind of design. you would have rounded spots in corners and not quite the sharp lines you are looking for. a plasma cutter also leaves room for burn over and such. what may be the best way to go would be a scroll saw and i happen to have one. send me a pm and we can try to figure something out.

jdbnsn
04-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I agree with Sean, I really think that you will get better results with some patient, steady hands and some hand tools. The only other ways to do this that I can think of would be a waterjet saw or laser saw, both would be very expensive I assume.

Ichbin
04-07-2009, 01:47 PM
You might be able to convince a sign shop that has a CNC machine to possibly do something for ya.

I know the one near my house LOVES these kinds of projects.