PDA

View Full Version : Why will my power supply not turn off ?

grahamdvddvddvd
04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I have a Dell GX270 small form pc which I added another power supply to power the monitor and audio amp.
I joined the two green wires together and when the pc is first turned on by pressing the button it comes on great, but when you repress the button to turn it off it turns off and then suddenly starts back up again ? You can turn it off by going to Start-turn off computer etc but not by just pressing the button onthe front ?

Killa_Ape
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I think the problem lies in the button (no idea how you have it wired), it could be disconnecting the right wire but as soon as the switch comes back it remakes the connection. I could be horribly wrong here so my apologies in advance.

Spawn-Inc
04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
also, what monitor runs off 12v?

Oneslowz28
04-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Ok lets clarify some things. Did you twist, solder or in some other way connect the green wires together so they are connected at all times?

grahamdvddvddvd
04-02-2009, 04:22 AM
Hi I exposed the wire on one cable and twisted the cut green cable from the new power supply and then soldered the two green wires together. The Button im using is the one that has always been connected to the pc.
At the moment im only running the small audio amp and the harddrive from the new power supply, have not got round to connecting the monitor yet. The touch screen monitor is a Elo and is 12 volt, but this is not connected at the moment.

grahamdvddvddvd
04-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Think I have found the problem, I had also installed a new video card which was not working, so in the end I removed the dodgy video card and it now turns of at the switch ! So i asume the video card (bought of eBay is a duff!)