PDA

View Full Version : iphone to iphone sync

SXRguyinMA
04-11-2009, 12:24 PM
ok I broke my iphone screen about a month and a half ago. phone still works, still plays music, still rings (just can't answer it). I'm going to be getting a new one soon. my question is...can I copy everything (music, etc) from my old one to the new one? see I'd just resync it, but my HDD with all my music currentyl has a bum board...so I cant sync music to the phone. as far as contacts I should be able to just swap the sim card right? :think:

SgtM
04-13-2009, 09:28 PM
I would imagine you could via itunes, but I don't have any first hand experience. Want to buy me an iPhone so I can test it for you? :devcool:

SXRguyinMA
04-14-2009, 07:07 AM
lol if I had the money my dead hdd would have already been sent out for data recovery and I wouldnt be in this predicament

Luke122
04-14-2009, 11:02 AM
What about telnetting/ftping into the phone?

SXRguyinMA
04-14-2009, 11:27 AM
:? please do elaborate

Luke122
04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I just realized that you are unable to use the screen on the device at all. :( That makes this a bit more difficult.. looking into more options for you.

Found this from http://www.backuphowto.info/how-to-backup-iphone

The last time I had to consider backing up my iPhone was after i cracked the screen and decided on getting a replacement iPhone. I backed it up through iTunes and got my new phone the same day, synced it up, and it put everything back on my phone that was on the one i cracked: notes, contacts, text msgs, bookmarks in safari andand settings for all apps and anything else that could be considered as an entry . It should work for you as well.

- Zach

Itunes should definitely work for you.. if not, there is some other info on that link. :)

SXRguyinMA
04-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I'll have to try that. the only hting I'm worried about is my music library is on my dead hdd, so if itunes tries to restore the backup by reloading songs from the hdd (I'm sure it doesnt save them in the backup, probably just the song list) then it wont sync any music. I'll have to wait and see. thanks for the info

Luke122
04-14-2009, 11:51 AM
My understanding of the sync is that if something is present on the device, but not on the host computer, that it will transfer from the device to the host. I could be wrong on this though..

SXRguyinMA
04-14-2009, 12:00 PM
I thought I read somwhere that Apple wont let you do that, so you cant sync music, etc from one computer to another :think:

like say I sync a bunch of music to my phone on my computer, if I go to a friends house and sync, it will erase the phone and rewrite with his data/music etc.. might be different for a backup though

Luke122
04-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Well you are syncing to the same computer arent you? Also, if it's a fresh/clean itunes, I cant see it wanting to overwrite anything on the device. Apple help might be the way to go for more info on this. :(

SXRguyinMA
04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
you may be right, thanks again for your help :)