PDA

View Full Version : HDD Mounting

chris_kalan
01-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Alright, so I'll be starting a mod sometime in the near future, and was wondering if there are any disadvantages to mounting a hard drive vertically. For what I've got planned out, vertically would be better for airflow.

An even better situation would be mounting it diagonally, but same issue, is this okay for the drive?

Mounting it vertically or diagonally would make it much easier to hide the wiring as well, so if anyone can help in this respect, it would be much appreciated. :)

Zeus
01-04-2006, 12:05 PM
vertically should be OK. Diagonally has been a point of debate on this forum in the past. Regardless of what anyone else may say, however, mechanically, the bearings that allow the platters to spin will wear irregularly if you mount it diagonally. Now that does not take away from the fact that with the current technology, it will take a very long time (or will LIKELY take a long time) for it to cause any functionality problems.

AceX
01-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Just like mounting diagonally, it will cause an uneven waer on the bearings, but, it isn't something that I would worry too much about. I'd like to see it done.

chris_kalan
01-04-2006, 06:39 PM
I wanted to mount it vertically to store in the front part of the case so it would be nearly invisble. Diagnoally would have been good too because there is just enough room in there for it.