PDA

View Full Version : Closing Threads

chris_kalan
01-05-2006, 12:19 AM
I have an idea that I think could do some use. Now, the whole point of modding is to be able to get criticism for your work and learn to do better. But, another part of it is to be able to do something that YOU like.

My idea is to allow people to close their threads in the Worklog section. That way, if people want to post the mod as it goes through, they can do so, so the thread doesn't get cluttered. Or, they can close it until it is over and then people can comment at the end of it. Or, of course, they could leave it open. The point is to have the flexibility.

Anyone like this idea, or am I just crazy?

Redbeard
01-05-2006, 01:40 AM
I like it, Crimson did something similar (actually has one closed and one open if I that with his Doom3 and others I believe.) Especially since I have a worklog to put out in the comming weeks this apeals to me as well.

chris_kalan
01-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Now that you mention it, maybe if this rule is to come into force, it should be known that people can lock and unlock it at will, but that they shouldn't open a single comments thread - that would clutter the forums too much.

Zeus
01-05-2006, 09:04 AM
I don't know that something like this is possible. The reason Crim was able to do it is that he owns the site and is a moderator in that section you are talking about. When a thread is locked, only the section moderator can post to the thread. That is how he does it. Without making everyone a moderator, which would defeat the purpose, there would be no way to do this.

once again, as far as I know.

FX
01-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Actually, I am able to do that, however it would require some discussion between Crimson and I.

Crimson Sky
01-05-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm all for having a closed worklog/image thread and a 'comment' thread (like my Doom3 WiP) for larger projects. Sometimes people like to come in and say 'hey its my first post but hellajob i love this project'--this wouldnt be possible if it was a single open/closed at-the-creator's-will thread

chris_kalan
01-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Maybe then for larger projects people could contact you and ask you to close it. Or, even better, we could have an entirely new forum that is just for the comments of worklogs of those big projects.

Crimson Sky
01-05-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm cool with people managing their open/closed status, as long as there is an "always open" comment thread related to the same project-

chris_kalan
01-05-2006, 02:05 PM
So is it now possible to manage it? How would I go about it if I wanted to lock a thread? Also, maybe mention it to people interested in the idea?

Crimson Sky
01-05-2006, 03:05 PM
it hasnt been implemented yet. We'll let ya know

chris_kalan
01-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Awesome, thanks!!

Zeus
01-06-2006, 10:31 AM
cool, I didn't think it was even possible. You know this forum software seems to be able to do more and more each day.

Thank God for technology!!

chris_kalan
01-06-2006, 10:59 AM
I was worried that it wouldn't be possible, but hey, it was worth a shot and good to know these forums get more flexible as time goes on.